IGNORED

6 Nations

Welcome To The Jungle

Wales were very fortunate to get as many points as they did; all down to England ill discipline and as said previously Dylan Hartley errors. But what a fantastic win and performance! Was a great game of rugby and I'm so happy we've avenged last year.

Plus I'm happy that my spelling isn't too bad considering the amount I've been on. The win caused for celebration!

Really good performance from England. If only we'd pipped you the other week. Any win in Paris should still be enough for the title but our record there is utter cack. I'd love for BOD to go out with a win.

Novel experience for me, I was in th eground an hour before kick off and stone cold sober!

England dominated from start to finish, but North must be kicking himself for that poor grubber kick when he had (I think) Lydiate outside him, may well have been a different game had they scored then (Funnily enough in a similar way to last year when Tuilagi spilled the ball early on when he looked like he may score).

God knows who will win it now, France as ever can be brilliant and awful and it will all come down to them now.(They are 33/1 if you fancy them to hammer Ireland and England to slip up).

I was lucky enough to go to all the games home and away last year, and when we were in Dublin the blokes I was with all agreed that we should go to Rome this year.

However, not realising the dates, I paid for flights and hotels for a weekend away with Rovers mates, so instead of being in Rome next weekend I will be sampling the delights of ,err, Hartlepool this weekend .

Ireland won't win in Paris. England's title and well deserved as they have played the best rugby.

Who knows. England could yet rue their dreadful start and finish against France. I think we've played pretty well for most of this year and France have been poor for the most part. I'm never too confident going to Paris but there'll never be a much better time for it.

I think that there is also a possibility (though quite a remote one) that if England cut loose against Italy they could make up that points difference. I reckon they'd have to win by around 50 points- a tough ask, but not beyond the realms. I wouldn't personally begrudge Ireland winning the title anyway; BODs last tournament and they have been very good thus far

I think that there is also a possibility (though quite a remote one) that if England cut loose against Italy they could make up that points difference. I reckon they'd have to win by around 50 points- a tough ask, but not beyond the realms. I wouldn't personally begrudge Ireland winning the title anyway; BODs last tournament and they have been very good thus far

It's not beyond them at all. Italy have actually been playing very well this year and can count themselves unlucky to be 4-0, they certainly didn't deserve defeat against Scotland and were good enough against Wales and France too. That said they were missing key players at the weekend and got blown away by an Ireland side which didn't contain any of our best wingers/finishers (Bowe, Zebo, Earls). Playing early might help England too. Not knowing what they have to do and having to just go out, win the game first and then look for points could work in their favour.

My maths isn't the best but I think that 49 points is the difference, so around 50 would be right unless we wipe the floor with France, which I can't see happening.

It's not beyond them at all. Italy have actually been playing very well this year and can count themselves unlucky to be 4-0, they certainly didn't deserve defeat against Scotland and were good enough against Wales and France too. That said they were missing key players at the weekend and got blown away by an Ireland side which didn't contain any of our best wingers/finishers (Bowe, Zebo, Earls). Playing early might help England too. Not knowing what they have to do and having to just go out, win the game first and then look for points could work in their favour.

My maths isn't the best but I think that 49 points is the difference, so around 50 would be right unless we wipe the floor with France, which I can't see happening.

I agree; in an arm wrestle (as it's been against previous England sides) you feel it gives the Italians a chance. Against a creative, attacking England team with nothing to lose you have to fear for them. However, I just don't think Italy are a bad enough team these days to ship 50 points, especially at home. I also wonder whether England may make a few changes to give some players a run out; Ford, Youngs (T & B), Watson, Thomas may all get a run out to start blooding them as options ahead of 2015 and that can only harm the fluency of the England side. There are pros and cons to doing so, but I don't think this years title is as important to England as next years. It'll be interesting to see how they go about it though

As I said before though, if Ireland win it then fair play; they'll have gone to Paris and won, demolished Wales and it was very small margins against England so I think they'll have deserved it. Can't say I won't be hoping they slip up though!

I agree; in an arm wrestle (as it's been against previous England sides) you feel it gives the Italians a chance. Against a creative, attacking England team with nothing to lose you have to fear for them. However, I just don't think Italy are a bad enough team these days to ship 50 points, especially at home. I also wonder whether England may make a few changes to give some players a run out; Ford, Youngs (T & B), Watson, Thomas may all get a run out to start blooding them as options ahead of 2015 and that can only harm the fluency of the England side. There are pros and cons to doing so, but I don't think this years title is as important to England as next years. It'll be interesting to see how they go about it though

As I said before though, if Ireland win it then fair play; they'll have gone to Paris and won, demolished Wales and it was very small margins against England so I think they'll have deserved it. Can't say I won't be hoping they slip up though!

Agree with pretty much all of that. Italy are more than capable of upsetting most sides if they can drag them into their kind of game. That said I think they've given the ball a lot more air this year than we've seen before and their all round game is certainly developing. I think that England will win well. I've said it before but I've been very impressed with England, and especially with Lancaster in the last couple of years. I was very critical of England for years after the world cup win for sticking with over-the-hill players and also guys who were just never good enough. They set themselves back a good few years by not trusting their talented younger guys and it's taken a (relatively unheralded) guy like Lancaster to take them back to basics and put together a strong young team who can win arm-wrestles but also have the talent to put air on the ball. They would be worthy winners this year if we lose in Paris or they get the cricket score they need.

As for us, I agree that we'll have deserved it if we get the result. I don't think there was much between the teams at Twickenham, though England were the better side. I don't agree with some of Joe's selections (I'm obviously biased) but he's a fantastic coach and I feel optimistic about our prospects going forward for the first time in a few years. I went into the championship feeling grumpy about BOD playing another year, if only because it leaves us hardly any time to blood a replacement for the world cup, but now that we're here who cares. All I want is for the great man to go out with a win in Paris.

Novel experience for me, I was in th eground an hour before kick off and stone cold sober!

England dominated from start to finish, but North must be kicking himself for that poor grubber kick when he had (I think) Lydiate outside him, may well have been a different game had they scored then (Funnily enough in a similar way to last year when Tuilagi spilled the ball early on when he looked like he may score).

God knows who will win it now, France as ever can be brilliant and awful and it will all come down to them now.(They are 33/1 if you fancy them to hammer Ireland and England to slip up).

I was lucky enough to go to all the games home and away last year, and when we were in Dublin the blokes I was with all agreed that we should go to Rome this year.

However, not realising the dates, I paid for flights and hotels for a weekend away with Rovers mates, so instead of being in Rome next weekend I will be sampling the delights of ,err, Hartlepool this weekend .

I can't see England slipping up, even if France smash us (god forbid).

That is hard luck. I've always wanted to go to Rome for a test match. I was on a lads' trip to Edinburgh a few years back and spent a few hours with a group of Italians in a pub (forget which) on Rose St in the morning. They'd beaten France the week before and they all had rubber chickens tied around their necks on which they'd all written 'we beat France'. They were a great laugh.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Italy are more than capable of upsetting most sides if they can drag them into their kind of game. That said I think they've given the ball a lot more air this year than we've seen before and their all round game is certainly developing. I think that England will win well. I've said it before but I've been very impressed with England, and especially with Lancaster in the last couple of years. I was very critical of England for years after the world cup win for sticking with over-the-hill players and also guys who were just never good enough. They set themselves back a good few years by not trusting their talented younger guys and it's taken a (relatively unheralded) guy like Lancaster to take them back to basics and put together a strong young team who can win arm-wrestles but also have the talent to put air on the ball. They would be worthy winners this year if we lose in Paris or they get the cricket score they need.

As for us, I agree that we'll have deserved it if we get the result. I don't think there was much between the teams at Twickenham, though England were the better side. I don't agree with some of Joe's selections (I'm obviously biased) but he's a fantastic coach and I feel optimistic about our prospects going forward for the first time in a few years. I went into the championship feeling grumpy about BOD playing another year, if only because it leaves us hardly any time to blood a replacement for the world cup, but now that we're here who cares. All I want is for the great man to go out with a win in Paris.

Oh aye; Italy are an improving team and shouldn't be taken lightly, but anything other than a comfortable England victory would be a massive shock. Italy's best players are still really in the pack (and not getting any younger) but they do have a few dynamic backs coming through. I haven't seen a great deal of them this year though tbh. The style with which England have been playing is the most heartening thing; in the past the Irish, Scots and Welsh could always retort to us being World Cup winners that we were boring and conservative (which we were). Lancaster has changed attitudes as well as results and that's to be applauded

I think it'll be a test of Irish progress in Paris; previous incarnations perhaps wouldn't deal with the pressure so if they can, they can demonstrate a step forward in a very short space of time under JS. I have a feeling that the French might turn up for this one, but Ireland still have it in them to win and win well even if they do. Plus, everyone loves a bit of romance in sport and a BOD 6 Nations win in his last match would have 'magic' all over it

Have to remember Ireland are in a great position. The tournament goes on tries scored rather than PD and they scored a load against Italy. We need to as well!

It is points difference first Lewis. I just checked the website. Tries scored only comes into the reckoning if two teams have the same points difference. I have heard that they're looking at introducing bonus points in the not too distant future though.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/championship/rules.php

Oh aye; Italy are an improving team and shouldn't be taken lightly, but anything other than a comfortable England victory would be a massive shock. Italy's best players are still really in the pack (and not getting any younger) but they do have a few dynamic backs coming through. I haven't seen a great deal of them this year though tbh. The style with which England have been playing is the most heartening thing; in the past the Irish, Scots and Welsh could always retort to us being World Cup winners that we were boring and conservative (which we were). Lancaster has changed attitudes as well as results and that's to be applauded

I think it'll be a test of Irish progress in Paris; previous incarnations perhaps wouldn't deal with the pressure so if they can, they can demonstrate a step forward in a very short space of time under JS. I have a feeling that the French might turn up for this one, but Ireland still have it in them to win and win well even if they do. Plus, everyone loves a bit of romance in sport and a BOD 6 Nations win in his last match would have 'magic' all over it

That's all very true. I don't know how long Zanni and Parisse are out for, but playing without them and Castro would be a massive blow for them. I didn't see them against Wales but a couple of Welsh mates said they played very well. I can see people's argument about England in the past, and maybe they have a point in the post-2003 world but prior to that England had one of the best packs I've ever seen and there's nothing wrong with playing to your strengths at all. As a Munster fan I can't help but appreciate the value of a great pack. Let's be fair, we'd all like to play great rugby but nobody really cares how 'boring' you are when you're winning and if other people have a problem with that then who cares.

True, we have almost always choked against the French, I don't think we've beaten them since 2009? The French will be well up for it and they'll feel like they have our number (hard to argue that they don't based on past results) but I have a feeling that we could nick this one, especially if Murray is fit.

It is points difference first Lewis. I just checked the website. Tries scored only comes into the reckoning if two teams have the same points difference. I have heard that they're looking at introducing bonus points in the not too distant future though.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/championship/rules.php

I stand corrected, I swear it used to be tries first? Ireland's points difference is rather better anyway, so my point is still valid!

Bonus points would take away from the competition in my opinion.

I stand corrected, I swear it used to be tries first? Ireland's points difference is rather better anyway, so my point is still valid!

Bonus points would take away from the competition in my opinion.

I honestly have no idea. I thought it was points difference before I checked the site but that wasn't really based on anything and whether they've changed it or not I don't know. I think that you could make an argument for it to come down to head to head rather than points difference ie. if England and Ireland both win next weekend England would take the championship having beaten us, though I can see why they take points difference and tries scored over the whole tournament rather than the result of one game.

I agree with you about the bonus points. I think they're great in the World Cup/HEC/Premiership/Rabo but the Six Nations is different and I think that it should stay that way.

If Bonus points come into the 6 nations it could result in a grandslam winning side coming 2nd in the table. Not a great idea at all

As funny as that would be, it's a really good point.

Bonus points should not come into the 6 nations, it works fine as it is!

I think England will do Italy by 25 points or so, 35-10 maybe. Ireland Vs France within 5 points either way I reckon.

Hopefully you're right on the first result and the second goes our way. Saturday could be immense. Three points for City and a win in Paris would do very nicely.

Archived