IGNORED

6 Nations

Welcome To The Jungle

The defeat was cruel on England, who were the better side minus the first quarter. But we were masters of our own downfall - France looked beat but never underestimate the French, they have flair in abundance.

The big mistake was Lancaster's decision to take off Danny Care. He was controlling the match and kept England flowing throughout; the introduction of Dickson slowed things up and allowed France time to regroup and take a breather.

Care and Billy Vunipola seem to have struck up a blossoming partnership at the tail of the scrum, which is a massive plus. Onwards and upwards to Murrayfield!

The problem was giving France the headstart. I thought that England played well and impressed in getting back into the game but paid for their sluggish start in the end. Thought Care was excellent. The problem with him has always been his temperament. If he can control that then for me he's England's best scrum half by some distance. To be fair France did very well to grind it out without their captain and (imo) best player too.

It was certainly the game of the weekend. Italy were impressive in defeat and could be a handful for everyone now but Wales will have much more to give and we played ok against a very poor Scotland side. Hoping for an improved performance (and we'll need it) against Wales. Unless Scotland improve massively then I don't see them troubling England.

The problem was giving France the headstart. I thought that England played well and impressed in getting back into the game but paid for their sluggish start in the end. Thought Care was excellent. The problem with him has always been his temperament. If he can control that then for me he's England's best scrum half by some distance. To be fair France did very well to grind it out without their captain and (imo) best player too.

It was certainly the game of the weekend. Italy were impressive in defeat and could be a handful for everyone now but Wales will have much more to give and we played ok against a very poor Scotland side. Hoping for an improved performance (and we'll need it) against Wales. Unless Scotland improve massively then I don't see them troubling England.

I'd agree with most of that. Care has rediscovered his former game and matured as player which is of great benefit to England. Lawes and Launchbury were outstanding and there wasn't an England forward who could be ashamed of the shift they put in.

Dusatoir is a massive miss for France, for sure. However, Yannick Nyanga is an unbelievable talent and I can't fathom why he was left out so much before Phillipe Saint Andre took over. France were all over the place in the second half and miniscule mistakes in defence such as Goode looking for the player outside Fizou for the final try instead of making the tackle - you're always taught to take the man with the ball, if he offloads it and they score on the outside you say 'well done' to the opposition.

I think the tournament is Ireland's to lose. I've changed my mind three times from France to Wales to Ireland but after the first weekend I genuinely believe it could be the year they do it for O'Driscoll. Schmidt is an outstanding coach and if he can get out of his Ireland squad what he produced from his Leinster side over the years, they'll be one tough nut to crack.

Scotland and Italy will probably decide who takes the wooden spoon like most campaigns but after the opening exchanges Italy have a lot to be proud about and Scotland need to step it up a gear.

What do I know. Great performance from us on Saturday, strangled the life out of Wales and the maul is a thing of beauty. If we reverse the slide against England in a couple of weeks then I might start getting excited. Looks like the new scrum laws suit our front row but England have a very good pack.

How bad are Scotland though? Cotter has one hell of a job on his hands...

What do I know. Great performance from us on Saturday, strangled the life out of Wales and the maul is a thing of beauty. If we reverse the slide against England in a couple of weeks then I might start getting excited. Looks like the new scrum laws suit our front row but England have a very good pack.

How bad are Scotland though? Cotter has one hell of a job on his hands...

I can see Italy beating Scotland. Not pretty from the Irish but certainly effective, doubt they will have enough to win at Twickenham though.

I think Scotland receiving the wooden spoon is inevitable at this stage. Italy have performed reasonably well so far and can take a lot of positives from facing two tough opponents in Wales and France.

I told you so, Michael! Wales just didn't know what to do when Ireland rushed up on them - they've got no plan B. Ireland dominated in every area and were fantastic. I can't wait for the match against England; the Twickenham atmosphere may shade it from a home perspective but it's sure to be a mouth watering tie!

And if England can't stop Ireland... it'll be down to who can stop each other between the Irish and the French!

I love the Six Nations!

I can see Italy beating Scotland. Not pretty from the Irish but certainly effective, doubt they will have enough to win at Twickenham though.

Like Lewis, I think it's inevitable at this stage that Scotland take the wooden spoon. They're on the slide and Italy are on the up.

As a Munsterman the driving maul and the ferocity at the breakdown were things of beauty. You have to bear in mind that our four best wings are out injured too. If we bring that level of organisation and aggression to Twickenham then England will have to play very well to beat us. Winning of the game could be in England's superior back three but you have to win it up front first. I can't wait.

I think Scotland receiving the wooden spoon is inevitable at this stage. Italy have performed reasonably well so far and can take a lot of positives from facing two tough opponents in Wales and France.

I told you so, Michael! Wales just didn't know what to do when Ireland rushed up on them - they've got no plan B. Ireland dominated in every area and were fantastic. I can't wait for the match against England; the Twickenham atmosphere may shade it from a home perspective but it's sure to be a mouth watering tie!

And if England can't stop Ireland... it'll be down to who can stop each other between the Irish and the French!

I love the Six Nations!

Joe for president!

I never thought we'd stop all the roiders in their back line for 80 minutes. In fairness the double movement try could have been given but that aside they never threatened our line. Disappointed by Liam Williams' cheap shot on Jackson at the end but it was funny seeing both Kearneys laughing at Phillips as he lost it.

We've won there a few times in the last ten years or so but England are a good side now and it'll be really tough. Particularly looking forward to Lawes against Paulie.

Would have been a really great weekend if City had won too...

Terrific game today. Two very well matched teams who both gave everything to try and win. England just edged it. Best rugby match ive watched for ages.

Quite agree evil twin.

Despite having it a bit spoiled, by keeping half an eye on events in South Yorkshire, I did appreciate watching that. 

Great game. Gutted to come out on the wrong side but well played England. Really nice to see a game with no TMO nonsense too, were there even any reset scrums? Both teams a credit to the sport today.

I wonder what Drico said to Brown that got him slightly riled ?

I wonder what Drico said to Brown that got him slightly riled ?

BOD looked quite bemused about that. I wonder if Brown was a bit unhappy that BOD had hit him (legitimately and with arms) just as the ref blew. It looked something in nothing and sure BOD won't lose any sleep over it. The only real 'moment' was Farrell's cheap shot on Murray. Was maybe lucky not to go in the bin but his stupidity lost England about 60-70m and could well have resulted in points. That wants cutting out of his game. On the flip side it was nice to see Healy not piling in there. A couple of years ago he might have lost it.

Great game and enjoyable to watch. Great ending to the Scottish game though! 

That was a really good game too. Felt sorry for Italy, felt they would have been good value for the win but fair play to the Scots for delivering under enormous pressure. I think I read that it's their first win in Rome since 2006 too? Both Saturday games certainly trumped Friday night's 'entertainment'.

What a game. Two great teams playing excellent rugby.

I feel the turning point was that Farrell/Murray incident; although only one Farrell penalty was slotted shortly after, if he'd have been sin binned Ireland would have more than likely capitalised.

Mike Brown and Rob Kearney were in fantastic form. Brown's probably putting his hand up for man of the series so far - outstanding. It's great to see the British Isles capable of producing top full backs (Halfpenny and Hogg included).

I take back what I said about France winning it, now. The loss to Wales will have dented their confidence significantly and with Ireland up next, I fear for their chances.

England and Wales is a huge game, more so than it already was. If England produce the same standard of performance as they did Saturday, they will win and almost certainly go on to win the title. The defeat at the Millennium will still be hurting and what a way to put it to bed than with a win at Twickers in two weeks. Billy Vunipola will be a massive loss; he's so destructive in what he does but Ben Morgan offers a similar brute force.

Wales need big performances from North, Roberts and Halfpenny who haven't been at their best so far which is worrying.

Good stuff Lewis. England is the big game for Wales so I feel that they'll up their game but will it be enough?

For ourselves, negotiating Italy and a rare win in Paris would still represent a good tournament for us after last year's disaster, whether it's enough to take the championship or not.

I would never rule Ireland out of contention; it'll be down to how much and if they can beat France and also how much England/Ireland beat Italy by if they manage to do so.

I would never rule Ireland out of contention; it'll be down to how much and if they can beat France and also how much England/Ireland beat Italy by if they manage to do so.

I think I'd be content with two one point victories! Our record against France is truly horrendous. It'd be nice to see Joe give some of the fringe players a chance against Italy. I'd like to see Henderson start in the second row and maybe Murphy and O'Donnell in the back row as well as the reintroduction of Zebo, who has been scoring tries for fun since returning from injury and offers something different to the (admittedly solid) Trimble and Kearney the Younger.

You'd have to fancy England with Wales at home and Italy to come, but as I said, England is Wales' biggest game by some distance and I expect them to be better then we've seen so far.

I think I'd be content with two one point victories! Our record against France is truly horrendous. It'd be nice to see Joe give some of the fringe players a chance against Italy. I'd like to see Henderson start in the second row and maybe Murphy and O'Donnell in the back row as well as the reintroduction of Zebo, who has been scoring tries for fun since returning from injury and offers something different to the (admittedly solid) Trimble and Kearney the Younger.

You'd have to fancy England with Wales at home and Italy to come, but as I said, England is Wales' biggest game by some distance and I expect them to be better then we've seen so far.

Looks as though O'Mahony could be out injured and he's been immense but Henderson would be a worthy replacement. Shame Tuohy's out; love him getting a chance as he's a Westoner!

Aside from the actual competition, you could say Wales is England's most important game in 2014. It will be their last game against Wales before the World Cup year (obviously have to play them in 2015 six nations before WC) and it will be important to set a precedence going into a WC year.

Looks as though O'Mahony could be out injured and he's been immense but Henderson would be a worthy replacement. Shame Tuohy's out; love him getting a chance as he's a Westoner!

Aside from the actual competition, you could say Wales is England's most important game in 2014. It will be their last game against Wales before the World Cup year (obviously have to play them in 2015 six nations before WC) and it will be important to set a precedence going into a WC year.

I think Joe said that he'd be fine earlier today, though if there's any doubt I'd rather he wasn't risked with our HEC quarter final looming on the horizon. I think that Henderson has been messed about a bit, they seem to want him to play second row now which hasn't helped his cause much at Ulster. Feel for Tuohy, think he's been one of the form Irish locks in the last few years and should have won more caps. Real shame for him that he got injured early on. I didn't realise that, how long have his family been in the West Country?

From one point of view it's nice to see England picking young players on form rather than has beens and never will bes, as they did for many years after 2003. Sure it got them to the final in 2007 but it didn't do them much good. From another point of view I was enjoying winning every year! But Lancaster seems like a good bloke and he's going about things the right way.

I think Joe said that he'd be fine earlier today, though if there's any doubt I'd rather he wasn't risked with our HEC quarter final looming on the horizon. I think that Henderson has been messed about a bit, they seem to want him to play second row now which hasn't helped his cause much at Ulster. Feel for Tuohy, think he's been one of the form Irish locks in the last few years and should have won more caps. Real shame for him that he got injured early on. I didn't realise that, how long have his family been in the West Country?

From one point of view it's nice to see England picking young players on form rather than has beens and never will bes, as they did for many years after 2003. Sure it got them to the final in 2007 but it didn't do them much good. From another point of view I was enjoying winning every year! But Lancaster seems like a good bloke and he's going about things the right way.

I'm pretty sure he was born in Bristol but not sure about the rest of his family. I know his sister through friends and I went to England v Scotland with his Dad and others last year. He only started playing rugby at colts level and started on the wing! Only moved to the row for cover and then has progressed dramatically since.

I completely agree with you about England. There's currently a great vibe about the team and Lancaster seems to have gelled them together quite easily. When Corbs, Manu, Yarde, Wade etc come back from injury and Sam Burgess arrives, we should have a really competitive squad.

Joe Marler has been brilliant so far and Mako is in fine form so Corbs may even find it hard to break back into the team as will Yarde and Wade (who I don't rate too highly anyway but they'll be great as cover and for the Saxons).

The summer matches and autumn games should be interesting - I can't see us changing too much unless Lancaster decides to experiment a bit.

I'd opt for:

Brown, Nowell, Tuilagi (when fit), Burrell, May, Farrell, Care; Marler, Hartley, Cole (when fit), Lawes, Launchbury, Wood, Robshaw, Vunipola (when fit)

Mako, Youngs, Wilson, Attwood, Youngs, 36, Ford, Watson

But likely to be more experienced heads on the bench!

I'm pretty sure he was born in Bristol but not sure about the rest of his family. I know his sister through friends and I went to England v Scotland with his Dad and others last year. He only started playing rugby at colts level and started on the wing! Only moved to the row for cover and then has progressed dramatically since.

I completely agree with you about England. There's currently a great vibe about the team and Lancaster seems to have gelled them together quite easily. When Corbs, Manu, Yarde, Wade etc come back from injury and Sam Burgess arrives, we should have a really competitive squad.

Joe Marler has been brilliant so far and Mako is in fine form so Corbs may even find it hard to break back into the team as will Yarde and Wade (who I don't rate too highly anyway but they'll be great as cover and for the Saxons).

The summer matches and autumn games should be interesting - I can't see us changing too much unless Lancaster decides to experiment a bit.

I'd opt for:

Brown, Nowell, Tuilagi (when fit), Burrell, May, Farrell, Care; Marler, Hartley, Cole (when fit), Lawes, Launchbury, Wood, Robshaw, Vunipola (when fit)

Mako, Youngs, Wilson, Attwood, Youngs, 36, Ford, Watson

But likely to be more experienced heads on the bench!

Ahh ok. I'd be interested to know. The Irish in Bristol is my job, of sorts... He must have been a beast on the wing!

I think that your team would almost be the one I'd be inclined to pick, though I'd have Dickson on the bench ahead of Youngs. It's hard on Parling though, I think he's been really good the last couple of years, though I haven't seen much premiership rugby this season. If 36 is on the bench it could harm Ford's prospects for now too.

As for us, I'd have Ryan back in the 22 when he's fit, competing with Toner and Tuohy. Obviously we have SOB to come back and I'd have O'Donnell on the bench as back row cover. Hard on Henry but he's not so versatile. Zebo and Earls would come back on the wing. Sure that's a few Munster players but I'm allowed the bias! I'd bring Marmion or Paul Marshall in for Boss on the bench as well, don't particularly rate him or Reddan. Sure Leinster have done ok rotating them but they're not the answer in tests. We are screwed if anything happens to Murray.

Joe Joyce, who I believe is Bristolian, played for Ireland U20's at the weekend. He wouldn't be related to another renowned Irishman with the same surname would he ?

There's a few of them! Good man Joe! Says on the Bris website that he played for Filton College and Dings Crusaders, as well as schools and club U18 and U19 for England so I'm assuming that he's second or third generation. Well spotted!

Ahh ok. I'd be interested to know. The Irish in Bristol is my job, of sorts... He must have been a beast on the wing!

I think that your team would almost be the one I'd be inclined to pick, though I'd have Dickson on the bench ahead of Youngs. It's hard on Parling though, I think he's been really good the last couple of years, though I haven't seen much Premier League rugby this season. If 36 is on the bench it could harm Ford's prospects for now too.

As for us, I'd have Ryan back in the 22 when he's fit, competing with Toner and Tuohy. Obviously we have SOB to come back and I'd have O'Donnell on the bench as back row cover. Hard on Henry but he's not so versatile. Zebo and Earls would come back on the wing. Sure that's a few Munster players but I'm allowed the bias! I'd bring Marmion or Paul Marshall in for Boss on the bench as well, don't particularly rate him or Reddan. Sure Leinster have done ok rotating them but they're not the answer in tests. We are screwed if anything happens to Murray.

See I think Dickson slows the game down too much. I know Youngs has been out of sorts recently but hopefully he can get back to his best. I love Parling; it's just that Attwood has performed so well for Bath this season and has been excellent when he's come on for England. With Lawes now taking charge of the line-outs and performing unbelievably well, there isn't room for him. That shows England's great strength in depth in that area.

It's a tough one with Ford. Obviously he's been outstanding and you need a goal kicker on the bench but 36 can cover a few positions and can also kick. Is Ford too slight for international rugby? It's hard to say until he's given a go which I imagine he will be against Italy and in the summer tests.

SOB has been a big miss for Ireland but I'm not sure I agree with you on O'Donnell. Not that he isn't a brilliant in versatility, it's just that Henry has played marvellously well in place of SOB and doesn't deserve to be dropped completely from the set up. I think scrum half is a major problem; as you said you're screwed if anything happens to Murray. Reddan and Boss are far too slow at the breakdown and across the park to add something from off the bench.

See I think Dickson slows the game down too much. I know Youngs has been out of sorts recently but hopefully he can get back to his best. I love Parling; it's just that Attwood has performed so well for Bath this season and has been excellent when he's come on for England. With Lawes now taking charge of the line-outs and performing unbelievably well, there isn't room for him. That shows England's great strength in depth in that area.

It's a tough one with Ford. Obviously he's been outstanding and you need a goal kicker on the bench but 36 can cover a few positions and can also kick. Is Ford too slight for international rugby? It's hard to say until he's given a go which I imagine he will be against Italy and in the summer tests.

SOB has been a big miss for Ireland but I'm not sure I agree with you on O'Donnell. Not that he isn't a brilliant in versatility, it's just that Henry has played marvellously well in place of SOB and doesn't deserve to be dropped completely from the set up. I think scrum half is a major problem; as you said you're screwed if anything happens to Murray. Reddan and Boss are far too slow at the breakdown and across the park to add something from off the bench.

At his best Youngs is the better player but I haven't seen his best for quite a while now. Rapid fall for Parling, a test Lion to out of the English 23. Have to feel for him regardless as he's done little wrong, England are really starting to churn out quality second rows these days. Not so long ago that the likes of Borthwick, Grewcock and the 84-year-old Simon Shaw were winning caps! (Shaw was quality though). Lawes looks to be finally becoming the player that everyone said he would be a few years back. Great athlete but I think Tom Wood is my favourite England player at the moment. I used to love watching the likes of Richard Hill and Wally play, not saying Wood will go on to be as good as them but he has a lot about him. The English pack seems to have a nice balance to it now and, as you say, plenty of competition, though perhaps not at tighthead yet but not many countries have that luxury.

It didn't do ROG much harm. The little I've seen of him I can see him pushing Farrell onto the bench before too long which might even suit England better given that Farrell can play in the centre as well.

It would be hard on Henry, he's been class, but it's not so wise to have a back rower who only covers one position there and I can't see SOB not walking back into the team. Unless Henry starts I don't see him being involved as we have better options off the bench. O'Donnell is a monster as well, I don't know if I'll ever see a Munster flanker like Wally again but we're lucky that O'Donnell stepped up so soon after he retired. Last year I'd have been all for dropping Heaslip and playing SOB at eight with Henry at 7 but he's been playing well this year. Marshall would be the ideal bench option because he's a small nippy guy who gets the ball away quickly. Far more likely to change the game than Boss or Reddan. He's really suffering from having one of the best 9s in the world ahead of him at Ulster but Reddan and Boss are knocking on so there might be an opportunity for him soon enough. Murray is arguably Ireland (and Munster's) most important player given our lack of depth there, his rise has been meteoric.

Archived