IGNORED

Where Were You?....

JudgeRed

When Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean were crowned the Olympic ice skating champions after scooping gold in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. 30 years ago.

I was at Ashton Gate sitting in the block A of the Dolman stand watching Bristol City v Blackpool  http://www.11v11.com/matches/bristol-city-v-blackpool-14-february-1984-47875/ When i heard the news over the tannoy at half time.

Oddly I can remember my Dad making us watch this! Clearly remember asking him if he was kidding as it really wasn't something that he'd have watched, but he said that it would be a bit of history.....and he was correct

I was only 10, so didn't really argue, but the fact he made us watch it has stuck clearly in my head

could not make many midweek games back then due to my arra throwing career so was in "The Boot inn" up Sodbury.....playing darts in the Sodbury & District league...

Remember how the darts match stopped and the whole pub watched the routine on a tiny TV in silence ....then erupted in applause when the pair spun to a stop on the ice at the end  ....... 

I was forced to watch it by the then Mrs Aizoon and, to my amazement, loved it :)

...loved it too surprisingly, watched due to missus & myself being too damn lazy to get up walk across living room & press one of the other THREE clunky channel changing  buttons on the pre remote control tv, :) , gawd how times have changed!

(that night prompted us to go ahead and have a kid or two, we needed someone to do the donkey work in our house! :) ... alas by the time they could reach the tv sets knobs someone scuppered our dastardly plans and invented remotes... oh well cant win 'em all as they say! ;) ) ... 

NB: last paragraph is a bit of a fib actually, because thanks to a bamboo bean stick & a cork we invented our own remote channel changer.. worked a treat as we sat on our sofas watching whatever channel we fancied while pouring teas & coffees out of our labour saving thermos flask hot drink dispensers!! :laugh:...

ps NB: previous two paragraphs are both actually fibs... we watched tv in bed & had drinks made for us by our his 'n hers bedside teas-made machines... :)

PPS ... NB, God trust me I'm sorry, everything in this post is bloody lie's - except the Torvill & Dean bit which was exciting, that bit is actually true the rest is a load of boleros.. :)

http://youtu.be/KcCj0xfO3H8

...loved it too surprisingly, watched due to missus & myself being too damn lazy to get up walk across living room & press one of the other THREE clunky channel changing  buttons on the pre remote control tv, :) , gawd how times have changed!

Can't be bothered to lean across the sofa to pick up the remote these days .....

Archived