IGNORED

We Played Well Enough To Get A Point...

BRISTOL86

Judging by the BBC website, we had plenty of chances so I'm curious as to why manoy feel it was a shit performance? I'm really hoping we go back to a more straightforward 4-4-2 system. Start with Flint and Williams, Maloney and Cunningham either side with Pack in front of them. Bryan and Burns out wide, JET in a 'free' role behind Barnett and Baldock.

We had many chances once burns nd Barnett came on and pack steadied the ship I noticed he dealt with about 90% that was thrown at him . Jet is wasted whilst we lack decent build up play and lack of confidence within the team.

Strange thing is cotts has to change midfield due to fitness yet not jet who I'm not sure has missed more then one game this season ? I noticed Barnett is always marked yet jet only once he has the ball . We constantly lob the ball so whynot Barnett who can deal with those balls nd flick on etc . Anything to get out of this mess short term anyway

Towards the end of the Gary Johnson days he used to select a totally different team each week. He had an excuse for running out of ideas as he had been with the club for several years. Cotts has only been with the club a couple of months and he seems to have the same problem. Hopefully he will have worked out which formation to play next season when we play Accrington Stanley away.

Towards the end of the Gary Johnson days he used to select a totally different team each week. He had an excuse for running out of ideas as he had been with the club for several years. Cotts has only been with the club a couple of months and he seems to have the same problem. Hopefully he will have worked out which formation to play next season when we play Accrington Stanley away.

Whom our U-18's lost to 4-1 tonight!

Honestly it's baffling. It reminds me of McInnes at his worst. It's almost as though he's out of ideas so he's picking names out of a hat. Either that or he's trying to be a clever dick.

A common affliction suffered by football managers when the sensible thing to do is to play your best players in their best positions and then fill in any gaps that you have as best you can. In our case this involves playing Bryan on the left and playing El Abd at centre half or not at all.

A common affliction suffered by football managers when the sensible thing to do is to play your best players in their best positions and then fill in any gaps that you have as best you can. In our case this involves playing Bryan on the left and playing El Abd at centre half or not at all.

Nail hit very firmly on the head.

All managers overcomplicate this simple game ,i suppose it is to make them look good but invariably backfires.

His team selections and tactics are seriously concerning me now. The bloke is just so stubborn and simply isn't learning from his mistakes.

Why 3-5-2 again? He needs to play a back 4. Literally everyone can see that. He needs to either drop El-Abd or play him as one of two centre backs. Tonight was embarrassing. He's hanging the bloke out to dry.

Why does SC bang on about how we haven't got the personal to change from a 3-5-2 then goes and plays Joe Bryan, a left winger, in central midfield? ******* change it and play him wide left in a 4 then. Surely? What's the point in persevering with square pegs in round holes? It defies belief.

Also any chance what so ever in setting up to try and win a game from the start? I've said it before and I will keep ******* saying it....Wes Burns has to, simply has to start. We need points. None of this 'hard to break down' or 'keep it tight' bollocks! It doesn't work and even so at home we need to go for it and actually try to win games!

Spot on!

I find it UNBELIEVABLE that he went back to the same 3-5-2 formation as failed so badly in the 1st half .v. Carlisle. We looked a much better unit playing 4-4-2. El Abd is useless in a back three, but him and Flint, looked pretty solid as the centre of a back four.

According to our enlightened leader.

Just what the hell game was he watching? That's an insult to those of us who endured tonight to come out with tripe like that.

We were never in the game from the word go. Pressley said before the game they would be up for it and they certainly where. What really worried me is that they looked a class above us, first touch, tempo, passing, tactics, everything. The ONLY reason we had any hope in hell of getting back into the game is because they were cruising the game at 2-0 and the wind was keeping them in their own half for most of the second half. We looked WOEFUL last night, and its been the same since MK Dons to be honest, I don't know whats happened, but it looks as though the honeymoon period is well and truly over!

We DIDN'T deserve a point.  Not sure what SC was seeing.

He probably saw the missed chances and more possession. 

But yet again we did nothing with it all; add in very basic errors such as at throw ins giving the ball to an unmarked opponent, some sloppy passing, failing to take account account of the wind, thinking the ball will zip along the ground through a puddle, bad team selection ending up with El Abd continuously out of position and resorting to tugs and trips to get himself out of trouble, Bryan in centre midfield (I can't start to understand that selection, I feel like a 3 year old trying to understand quantum physics), balls lobbed aimlessly forward and some rank bad defending (Flint backing off).

However, despite all of this, we were only inches away from  getting something from the game on more than one occasion. Think how good we could be!  I expect that is what SC saw; I hope he saw the other issues, but time will tell I suppose - not that we have much of it!

We DIDN'T deserve a point. Not sure what SC was seeing.

We also didn't deserve a win v Carlisle. We basically played well for about 10 minutes and got the 2 goals.

Tonight, we played better in the 2nd half, but it was still nowhere near enough to get a point. Maybe had we played the best team from the start we might have done, but El Abd at Right Back and Bryan in CM didn't do us any favours.

SC quoted tonight "The frustration is we're having to chase games - having to make too many changes"

Well, the answer to that Steve is to play the right team from the start!

Don't agree there Harry, we had the lions share of the second half v Carlisle and they hardly threatened. While the first half was as dire as I've ever seen, Carlisle had to be gifted a goal to take the lead. We were deserved - albeit somewhat underwhelming - victors.

Can't comment on last night as wasn't there but the stats suggest we left it too late to wake up.

He said a while back we can't play 4-4-2 because we haven't got the players. We can't play 3-5-2 either for the same reason but he keeps playing it. El abd can't play wide of a three because he gets too exposed against a winger and has no pace at all. Bryan was played out of position as well, got lost in central midfield. Wagstaff has the ability to play as a box to box midfielder ,right of a three but keeps getting played wingback which isn't his position whilst we have a right back on the bench who hasn't done anything wrong as far as i'm concerned.

We were told by other fans that Cotterill talks a lot of shit and he's backed that up. I honestly think he's clueless and we are going down. Hate to be negative but he doesn't seem to know what to do.

Just seen the interview and can't disagree with a word he said to be honest.  He spoke with passion and honesty whilst also recognising it's his job to take the players forward and so he's got to look for the positives and doesn't have the luxury of so many on here of writing people off.  He spoke about sloppy defending leaving us too much to do whilst also noting we still created things going forward.  No one can deny things are tough at the moment and this run of games, 2 a week in heavy conditions against some of the better sides, picking up injuries as we go, is tough.  I still think though he's doing his best to be passionate, honest and positive. I can question this or that decision, personnel wise or tactically, but on the whole I see no evidence for the accusations that SC is ignorant, defensive or long-ball obsessed or that anyone doesn't care.  All those things are bandied around after every defeat here ( the 'lost the dressing room' line will surely come out soon) but seem to me to be patently absurd. I for one will continue t oplay my part, as I have under other managers, and support.

We were absolutely crap what position was Bryan playing felt sorry for him, Jet was useless and well what can I say about al abd, why does he have to change the team every week there is no continuity especially in midfield. If cotts think we deserved a draw then he is dillusional

Dillusional alright!.We were warned about bizaare behaviour, press conferences and team selections, all of which is now a reality!!

My Best Team Mr Cotterill is

Moore, Cunningham Osbourne Williams Maloney

Bryan Reid Pack Burns

JET Baldock

Elliot

Wagstaff

Fielding

Gilette

Barnett

Wynter...............You can mix and match a little with Elliot, and Kelly should come in the 16 when fit....El Abd only plays if nothing else available and JET could play in midfield at times. There is a case for shuffling the midfield if your coming up against a physically strong midfield as the youngsters have not developed fully, but you stand a chance of getting more than one goal like this

The Goalkeeper needed changing so credit for that but most of these players were already here...

That's the only possible explanation. They try and show how clever they are and usually screw up the team instead.

Fair point and, in SC's case, disastrous. He isn't clever - that's not what he does.

What he does is drive and enthusiasm. He should get the team playing in a bog standard 4-4-2 and use his real talent for motivation. Simples as they say...

Dillusional alright!.We were warned about bizaare behaviour, press conferences and team selections, all of which is now a reality!!

My Best Team Mr Cotterill is

Moore, Cunningham Osbourne Williams Maloney

Bryan Reid Pack Burns

JET Baldock

Elliot

Wagstaff

Fielding

Gilette

Barnett

You can't watch City often REDOXO so perhaps no surprise you're not up to speed with recent performances, which have shown:

Williams has been lacking confidence, has played some awful passes straight to the opposition, and has been a liability.

Moloney has been found out physically in this division. Hopefully he's being built up a bit behind the scenes and will return stronger.

Bryan is out of form and has little effect on games.

Reid, whilst popular due to being a local boy and showing some very nice touches, lacks any sort of consistency, and if anything has been fortunate to feature as much as he has.

These are certainly not players who have shown they must be regulars at all.

To leave out Wagstaff and Marvin seems bizarre.

You seem to have it in for Cotterill already in much the same way as you derided Del - methinks you go over the top somewhat.

Very small margins between winning and losing and can see where some are coming from (including SC) in saying a point should have been gained.

The first goal conceded - why the hell did we have a centre back (El Abd) taking a throw in on the half way line ? He was completely out of position when the ball immediately went to the opposition due to a crap bit of control by Flint (I think it was) trying to pass it 5 yards back to El Abd. Poor decision in taking the throw in and something that someone of his experience shouldn't be doing. The next mistake was by the keeper in letting it go under his body. Three individual errors which shouldn't occur.

The second - they were first to a very average corner kick and an unmarked attacker flicked it on to an unmarked player who couldn't miss. Where was the marking in both cases ? Two individual errors which shouldn't occur.

These individual errors are costing us big time and its plain to see that they've been happening all season. SC has now sidelined a goalkeeper, he needs to do the same with some outfield players and he is certainly aware of it by getting Osbourne signed and bringing in El Abd (who is proving to be a liability) and W.Elliott (who needs game time). Shame Osbourne is injured.

For me, he needs to have a settled back 5 of Moore, Moloney, Osbourne, Williams (he makes errors but its his first season of league football and can be excused) and Cunningham - round pegs in round holes and play one of Gillet, Pack or Marv in front of them. He needs Wagstaff on the right and Bryan on the left in midfield - round pegs in round holes. That sorts out the defence and cuts out a lot of individual errors.

Up to him for the rest of it, but get shot of the errors and play to players strengths and Roberts yer fathers brother.

Agree 100% I hope Osborne is back for Saturday, him and Williams would be a solid centre back pairing imo.

Archived