IGNORED

Botswana Email......

Club and Country

It is not my sort of charity and I shall not be donating.

I don't really understand why they aren't doing something that is actually relevant to local people; surely they are trying to get interwoven to the local community, how does Botswana fit into this?  It might as well be raising funds for the Distressed Donkey Sanctuary (no jokes about Flint or El Abd please!).  There are so many charities they could get involved with, either purely local or local projects for national charities.

I will not deny it is a worthy cause, but I fail to see its relevance or indeed, dare I say it, how it fits with the five pillars.  It does nothing to move the commercial side of the club forward or bring the fans and club closer together, it seems to be someones pet foisted onto the club.

I've never bothered reading the emails regarding Botswana, and have no idea of the Clubs interest their...however when you read up about Botswana itself, it throws up some interesting facts.

A mid-sized country of just over two million people, Botswana is one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world. Botswana was one of the poorest countries in Africa when it gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1966, with a GDP per capita of about US$70 per year. Botswana has since transformed itself, becoming one of the fastest-growing economies in the world with a GDP (purchasing power parity) per capita of about $14,000 per year,[1] and a high gross national income, possibly the fourth-largest in Africa, giving the country a modest standard of living

By one estimate, it has the fourth highest gross national income at purchasing power parity in Africa, giving it a standard of living around that of Mexico and Turkey.[18]

While generally open to foreign participation in its economy, Botswana reserves some sectors for citizens. Increased foreign investment plays a significant role in the privatization of state-owned enterprises. Investment regulations are transparent, and bureaucratic procedures are streamlined and open, although somewhat slow. Investment returns such as profits and dividends, debt service, capital gains, returns on intellectual property, royalties, franchise's fees, and service fees can be repatriated without limits.

Football is the most popular sport in Botswana, with qualification for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations being the biggest achievement to date. Other popular sports are cricket, tennis, rugby, badminton,softball, handball, golf, and track and field.[30][31] Botswana is an associate member of the International Cricket Council. Botswana became a member of The International Badminton Federation and Africa Badminton Federation in 1991. Presently, the Botswana Golf Union offers an amateur golf league in which golfers compete in tournaments and championships.

Archived