IGNORED

Steven Gillespie

westred1

Only 28! I thought he was older to be honest.

I thought he would be younger for some reason. For me, I don't assume players age any more once they've left us.

Reckon the lad Mabbutt could have a promising future ahead of him, as long as he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't let all this 'fan club' business go to his head.

• Admin

Just signed for Rovers until the end of the season.

I thought he showed a lot of promise with us and should've been given more of a chance by Tinnion and then Johnson briefly but obviously they were right as he hasn't gone higher than League One.

never rated him. slow, bad in the air, has a goal scoring record of about 1 in 4 in league two. However Rovers need all they can get with JJ O'Toole as their top scorer  :facepalm:

Would agree with you Pete, never saw that much in him, arrived with a lot of hype, mainly due to the goalscoring feats at youth level, but never impressed when with us and has just continued joining worse clubs after each move since

never rated him. slow, bad in the air, has a goal scoring record of about 1 in 4 in league two. However Rovers need all they can get with JJ O'Toole as their top scorer :facepalm:

It's closer to one in three. Carved out a decent career in League 1 for a few years with Colchester who still think fondly of him. Good signing for them. How they've managed it with the League 2 FFP rules god knows.

Didn't he once score 5 goals against rovers in a reserve game just after he signed for us..?

If my ageing memory is right he got 3 or 4 for us whilst on trial, in a game that also featured Scott Brown and a lad called Mark Jones.

Brown had just been let go by Everton, the other two by Liverpool.

Brown was the best player on the pitch but Tinnion only had enough funds to sign one, so gave Gillespie the contract. When Brown wasn't offered a deal by Port Vale the following summer Tinnion then offered Brown a short term deal initially.

Can't remember the opposition for the trial game but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Rovers.

Archived