IGNORED

The Official 'i Blame Lee Johnson' Vs Bristol City Match Day Thread

bissellredhead

It seems many are happy with a point, and will settle for it, i would like to point you to the amount of draws we have had this season, it is this that is taking us down, not the losses.  Convert those draws to wins......

If you are happy with draws I am not entirely sure you can see the problems we have had this season.  Draws are no good, they will take us down.

So every person saying I will take a point after every away game, think.  taking a point from every away game is all well and good when you are bang on form at home.  Just saying I'll take a point (because it is away from home) is absurd, and is showing ostrich like syndrome to the predicament we are in this season.

I cannot understand the 'we need to get something at orient' comments. Ludicrous. There are 16 games left. Home games are where we need to concentrate on. Not away to a team at the top.

Why is it? We will need a few away wins if we are to stay up.

Glad to hear. I've been saying (along with almost everyone else) that a back four would see us look more solid for a few games now. Although listening to the Oldham commentary they said our defenders didn't close their player down for the goal. Is that true or was it a bit of a worldy?

Yeah for their goal we should have closed the player down without doubt. It was a good strike but gave him far too much space. Hard to tell if it was a worldy or whether it just went over Moore from where we were sat.

It seems many are happy with a point, and will settle for it, i would like to point you to the amount of draws we have had this season, it is this that is taking us down, not the losses. Convert those draws to wins......

If you are happy with draws I am not entirely sure you can see the problems we have had this season. Draws are no good, they will take us down.

So every person saying I will take a point after every away game, think. taking a point from every away game is all well and good when you are bang on form at home. Just saying I'll take a point (because it is away from home) is absurd, and is showing ostrich like syndrome to the predicament we are in this season.

I do agree we need to win games.

This is exactly why we need to go for it at home more unlike the Coventry game.

We need wins where ever, if we don't go on a nice run of wins at home we are buggered.  If we are relying on home form we are screwed, we have been shite at home for 2 or 3 years, the crowd often leave the players frozen at home, So I think getting those away wins is a must.

Which means stopping conceding soft/stupid/crazy goals (Specially own goals) early doors (or late on), the strikers actually converting more than one of the chances they get in most games, and to actually compete for more than 45 minutes..

Jury out on those three critical factors.

Pretty even game I thought however a few things for me, Williams is no left back definitely should have been Cunningham if he was fit to play or even Bryan. Drop El-Abd gave away so many pointless things, the constant rigging of shirts etc was picked up by the ref and we were lucky to not concede a penalty by him. Could be that the conditions didn't suit him but Wes didn't seem as effective as when he was a sub, still did alright though and wade Elliott was totally invisible when he came on.

Positives, as said pack had a very good game I thought, Flint played well and I thought Moloney did alright. Baldock worked tirelessly whether out on either wing or down the middle. All in all a point away when Oldham play some nice stuff is a plus.

We need wins where ever, if we don't go on a nice run of wins at home we are buggered.  If we are relying on home form we are screwed, we have been shite at home for 2 or 3 years, the crowd often leave the players frozen at home, So I think getting those away wins is a must.

Problem is, if we're relying on away from we're even more screwed.

From the reports coming through today, the flat back four seemed to give us a much more solid defence that the return of Osborne can only improve. I am wondering what has been going on at the front. When was the last time one of our out & out strikers managed to score a goal?

Cotterill suggested he expected more goals from Flint (hopefully at the right end ;) )

I cannot understand the 'we need to get something at orient' comments. Ludicrous. There are 16 games left. Home games are where we need to concentrate on. Not away to a team at the top.

I agree with these comments to a certain extent as there is still 16 matches to go. However we've only taken 4 points from the last 5 matches. Lose to Orient and it's 4 from 6. Our home form isn't that wonderful (we only managed to beat Carlisle thanks to a few minutes of magic from Marvin) so we've got to pick up a few points away.

Just back home now.

A well-earned point in horrible conditions. Oldham might feel hard done by if we'd nicked all 3, but we slightly edged it in terms of chances and never really looked like losing the game either.

The defence looked a lot more solid in a flat 4. Flint in particular was excellent, and El Abd had a good game too. I hadn't seen him in the flesh before today but the comments from those who had were that it was his best game for us by some distance. Williams looked a bit out of place at left back, he defended well enough but certainly didn't provide as much threat going forward as Cunningham does. I'd have to see the goal we conceded again, but from my angle I thought Moore could have got nearer to it. Other than that he looked very solid, didn't have too many saves to make but much more commanding of his area than Parish. That said, the goal could have been prevented if we'd attempted to close their player down.

Going forward we created a few chances but nothing really clear cut, and I can't recall their keeper making a save of note. Barnett holds it up well, but seemed a bit lazy when we didn't have the ball. Burns was very lively but we didn't get the ball to him enough, especially in the 2nd half. The midfield were a mixed bag, some nice passing and battling tackles, but also a hell of a lot of squandered possesion.

In isolation, that's a decent result. Unfortunately we really need to start winning these types of games and bar the odd moment, we didn't look that likely to do so today. If he sticks with 4 at the back, then I'd be confident we can pick up enough points at home to be alright. It was 4-3-3 today and it looked solid for the most part, the problem is how you get JET into that formation. He came on for Burns on the right of the front 3 but didn't look entirely comfortable there.

Archived