IGNORED

That L1 Table

Swindon8er

Much as I admire the optimism of some, I'm afraid the last 5 games have convinced me we are going down.

Although SC would not have been my choice as mgr, I thought he was going to do the business for us with better results AND better football to start with. Then the board allow SC to dump all over our long overdue common sense transfer policy and bring in a near 30 year old central defender, whose most supporters mums could outpace over 10 yards, on a crazy long 3.5 year contract and disrupts what was beginning to look like an organised defence and team. The results and performances since say it all.

We are heading for League 2, I feel really sorry for Lansdown who has pumped his money into the club supporting successive managers who starting from Johnson after the play-off season have squandered his money on, mostly, at best very average players.

The really sad thing is that I can see struggling in League 2 next year, much as Pompey have done this. At least when we slipped from the old Div.1 to Div.4 we did so in large part due to being strapped for cash, for me the fall from Championship to League 2 is much harder to stomach. Sad, sad times.

The simple fact is unless we start to keep some clean sheets we will be relegated. We have scored in every league game under SC but still not doing enough to win games.

We've scored in every League game apart from Peterborough, Sheff utd and Crewe

I can't remember any others where we haven't scored

Much as I admire the optimism of some, I'm afraid the last 5 games have convinced me we are going down.Although SC would not have been my choice as mgr, I thought he was going to do the business for us with better results AND better football to start with. Then the board allow SC to dump all over our long overdue common sense transfer policy and bring in a near 30 year old central defender, whose most supporters mums could outpace over 10 yards, on a crazy long 3.5 year contract and disrupts what was beginning to look like an organised defence and team. The results and performances since say it all.We are heading for League 2, I feel really sorry for Lansdown who has pumped his money into the club supporting successive managers who starting from Johnson after the play-off season have squandered his money on, mostly, at best very average players.The really sad thing is that I can see struggling in League 2 next year, much as Pompey have done this. At least when we slipped from the old Div.1 to Div.4 we did so in large part due to being strapped for cash, for me the fall from Championship to League 2 is much harder to stomach. Sad, sad times.

From someone else who watched from the east end last time it happened, I couldn't agree more.

Just add one other thing that so frustrates me. We have not only abandoned the common sense transfer policy, we have , yet again, abandoned any attempt at stability. We are playing a completely different system to that being drummed into the players the first half of the season - and changing that most weeks. We have brought in others players (Barnett) who's strengths, if they have any, are going to be in a side that plays a different type of football. And the result is that the players just look like they don't really know what they are supposed to be doing any longer. Just that they are meant to be doing it faster! And often out of their best position.

You are dead right: last time we were just pleased to still exist, and the fans rallied round and recognized that we simply had no money. This time, it's because we have made the same mistakes over and over again for several years and just haven't given anyone the time and the support to sort it out.

From someone else who watched from the east end last time it happened, I couldn't agree more.

Just add one other thing that so frustrates me. We have not only abandoned the common sense transfer policy, we have , yet again, abandoned any attempt at stability. We are playing a completely different system to that being drummed into the players the first half of the season - and changing that most weeks. We have brought in others players (Barnett) who's strengths, if they have any, are going to be in a side that plays a different type of football. And the result is that the players just look like they don't really know what they are supposed to be doing any longer. Just that they are meant to be doing it faster!

You are dead right: last time we were just pleased to still exist, and the fans rallied round and recognized that we simply had no money. This time, it's because we have made the same mistakes over and over again for several years and just haven't given anyone the time and the support to sort it out.

And this surprises you. This is exactly what I said would happen when our great owner and board announced their new way of doing things. I am only surprised it happened so quickly! I had them down for another 5 months before this new great dawn was ditched.

All the hallmarks of a Lansdown stumble into yet another well thought cock up.

It's a funny one. I think if we win those 4 winnable-looking games, the confidence that will be generated will probably allow us to pick up enough wins from the rest of the season. Get hammered by Orient on Tuesday and struggle in those 4 games (even if we pick up some points) and it's curtains

And this surprises you. This is exactly what I said would happen when our great owner and board announced their new way of doing things. I am only surprised it happened so quickly! I had them down for another 5 months before this new great dawn was ditched.

All the hallmarks of a Lansdown stumble into yet another well thought cock up.

In the words of SL at the Q & A the other week "forget the 5 pillars for the time being" and "there is no long term plan".

It's a funny one. I think if we win those 4 winnable-looking games, the confidence that will be generated will probably allow us to pick up enough wins from the rest of the season. Get hammered by Orient on Tuesday and struggle in those 4 games (even if we pick up some points) and it's curtains

Every game looks 'winnable' (apart from the odd top of the league away game) but the simple facts are we are aren't winning. MK Dons, Bradford, Coventry and Oldham were winnable yet we didn't win any of them. The only game we actually won lately was the Carlisle game and we were very poor in that. 

It is very sad that the first time we had a long term plan and needed to stick with it, we abandoned it.

He absolutely said it. He was asked the question "is there a long term plan?" by the bloke beyond me.

Unbelievable. Yet many hold complete trust in this bloke because he has money, and he is a fan!

The ineptitude is staggering. He just limps from one cock up to another! Does he ever learn?

He absolutely said it. He was asked the question "is there a long term plan?" by the bloke behind me.

I don't recall that being said at all.

Was it in the public Q & A or afterwards?

No surprise to see several on here who weren't there give their option is it?

I don't recall that being said at all.

Was it in the public Q & A or afterwards?

No surprise to see several on here who weren't there give their option is it?

Agreed, no idea why RMLF our north of England correspondent that never attends games and most certainly wasn't at the Q & A has waded into the debate. Although to be fair hasn't really made any point of note.

Anyway, Graham it was in public - the guy that asked the question asked Steve about 5, 10 year plans as an example, if that helps you recall? Steve said no, a long term plan was not in place. And he also said forget about the 5 pillars stuff for now although think he mentioned that as an answer to a different question - about the January signings.

Agreed, no idea why RMLF our north of England correspondent that never attends games and most certainly wasn't at the Q & A has waded into the debate. Although to be fair hasn't really made any point of note.

Anyway, Graham it was in public - the guy that asked the question asked Steve about 5, 10 year plans as an example, if that helps you recall? Steve said no, a long term plan was not in place. And he also said forget about the 5 pillars stuff for now although think he mentioned that as an answer to a different question - about the January signings.

I certainly remember a question about a 5/10 year plan from a chap in the back left corner, and the answer, although maybe not using the precise word, was no.

Good to see that RMLF's ability to talk about things he wasn't present at has now extended from games to Q+A's though.

Whut?

Italian Dave may have missed the threads regarding the Q and A's so I linked them, you know so he could investigate further

I also questioned you on your use of what was said to suit your own ends, hence the agent provocateur stuff. You didnt want to make an issue out of it at the time, and indeed before this thread haven't mentioned it,  yet now chose to do so, because it suits your bizarre anti club, yet go to everything anyway display. or is it something else. Im not expecting an answer, dont worry. Im sure it will be more insults, deep joy!

I made no mention or indeed no question of attendance. however you seem to have taken this to heart, to launch yet another tiresome tirade around that subject. As said to the zillions of others who want to get a rise, you wont. And if you, based on the logical extension of what you are saying ( as in you attend the mostest so your view is the best, all others are number 2 or below) wish to have a hierarichal forum based on who attends what games and subsequently have seperate subforums to match 'attendance' then you will have a very sparse forum.

Many of the best posters on here dont attend games. Some choose to admit it others dont, reason being is this is a Bristol City discussion forum, to discuss Bristol City. Not a willy waving contest to see who is the big 'iam' by showing who is the most 'loyal' or attends the most games It's not about a clash of Ego's either. This is something that you and people like Bearded Red, below fail to grasp

Where are the insults and where is the tirade? You've got me mixed up with someone else I think.

I'm not "anti-club" either, it's called constructive criticism. We are a complete shambles at the moment, in case it had escaped your attention, and people want answers.

Think I mentioned in a post prior to the match how our being outside the relegation zone was a false position, due to the games in hand held by our opponents; if we are being honest with ourselves, can anyone be surprised at the fact we slipped back into the mire so easily?

And anyone who is taking about form over the past few games, it is worth noting that Sheffield United have barely played any league games in 2014, and instead have gone on an impressive cup run, which this weekend seems to have bled over into their league form.  

Anyone who saw how disciplined at the back they looked versus (an admittedly lacklustre) Fulham (though they did ok again Man United yesterday) would not be trying to claim Sheff U are in similarly bad form to ourselves.  They have a couple of tough games next against Brentford and Forest, but considering Gillingham is the one just prior to them hosting us, and the GIlls meekly surrendered to Stevenage (who everyone here seems to think are hopeless, despite having picked up more points than us over their last few matches) and having a fistful of games in hand, I think getting anything at all at Bramell Lane, our form considered, is a tall ask.

I can't see us getting out of this.  I'm not going to play a guessing game on results, but looking at the table now the those games remaining, it is pretty clear the two 4-game runs of Tranmere (H), Sheff Utd (A), Gillingham (H), Shrewsbury (A) and then Notts County (H), Stevenage (A), Crewe (H), Crawley (A) will define our season, due to those teams being down with us or in awful form and looking to possibly drop in the relegation scrap.  Problem is, unless we storm the first four we might not be savable in second four and, frankly I don't see us improving enough to get the wins we need against Tranmere and Sheff U in games where our league position means we cannot afford draws, but are opponents can.

I don't see us improving as a unit, despite what the form table might say.  We were markedly better for the first bunch of games after Cotterill first showed than we had been; he set us up to play to what looked like our strengths and got the players motivated.  However the window ruined this, with seemingly pointless signing for our situation; El Abd being the primary one, while Barnett and Wade Elliott also look no better than what we had, even if we perhaps needed 'warm bodies' in those roles. 

The fact our one bight light in the high-scoring and creative forward line of Baldock and JET has been restricted to assists from corners kicks over recent games is a ******* disgrace; turning off their contribution, rather than looking to build a team around it has cut our hamstrings.  People harp on about how wasteful Baldock is and 'lazy' JET is, and called for some eager, hard running big 'un to replace either/or, well, you got your wish, and now we're even worse than we were; hope you're happier, even though we're still rubbish.

All-in-all, we are where we should be, and I don't think Steve Cotterill has really displayed enough nous to spin the ship.  The fact I look at games such as tomorrow night's at Orient and consider (though never would) putting a tenner on them to ruin us, as I expect it so fully, depresses me.  I hope it turns around, and I hope maybe tomorrow or Saturday the side suddenly kicks and throws the slide into reverse, but I'm not confident and am mentally preparing for us to be facing the likes of Cheltenham and Exeter next year already.

SC saved Forest don't ya know. Well, with the help of SOD.

Some similarities actually with SC's reign at Forest to what he's done so far here.

Won 4 our of first 6 at Forest, then won 1 in 13 league games! He won a couple to start with here and is now on a run of 1 win in 9. Then SOD came in and they won enough games to keep them up.

Indeed. Didn't take long to panic and rip up. Usual bollocks from the Messiah

I think what they have said or my interpretation of it (the owners) is that the urgency to remain in L1 is more important than 5 pillars.

So basically we have a business model which has moved to tactics rather than strategy in the short term.

There is clerar destinction between the two words and

to be honest, its not unusual for business' to take that approach in the wake of "unforeseen circumstance" neithger should it be entirely dismissed or criticised.

In our case the unforeseen is the now very real threat of relegation.

When the strategy was laid out i don't believe in their wildest dreams they had made contingency for the plight we now find ourselves in.

Hence the appearance that we have given up on strategy.

I don't think we have, i just think the tactics outweigh the importance of the strategy for now, without L1 we cant afford to contemplate the strategy anyway.

Nope not got you mixed up, squire.  trust me on this

Er, yeah well aware of constructive criticism being a proponent of keeping the club 'honest' over many things. There is a time and a place to do it, and rather than the hot air and bluster on here, that many including yourself have been proponents of. Do something, kick up a fuss, protest and so on if you are so unhappy with things

Moaning/criticising on here, is the modern way of sating a conscious, in terms of being contented that 'you' as in people have had their say and thus can walk away knowing their views have been aired.

Problem is doing that doesnt really make a difference, as it's the ethereal, rather than actuality, and at this juncture, those who want regime change have to start doing!

We're clearly on completely different wavelengths.

I'm not sure why you are trying to discourage people from expressing their points of view on this forum though - some might say it is you with the "agenda".

I think what they have said or my interpretation of it (the owners) is that the urgency to remain in L1 is more important than 5 pillars.

So basically we have a business model which has moved to tactics rather than strategy in the short term.

There is clerar destinction between the two words and

to be honest, its not unusual for business' to take that approach in the wake of "unforeseen circumstance" neithger should it be entirely dismissed or criticised.

In our case the unforeseen is the now very real threat of relegation.

When the strategy was laid out i don't believe in their wildest dreams they had made contingency for the plight we now find ourselves in.

Hence the appearance that we have given up on strategy.

I don't think we have, i just think the tactics outweigh the importance of the strategy for now, without L1 we cant afford to contemplate the strategy anyway.

So if we are in a relegation predicament for the next 3 seasons, then what happens? you put in strategy, and stick to it, otherwise how can you evolve?  I am afraid it is bollocks, they will never get to where they want to get to if they keep panicking.  See it through or don't bother.

Sums up our board and owner perfectly.  Never ever stick to anything, reactionary rubbish, and is the reason why we never progressed from our first season in the championship.

Archived