IGNORED

Back From Oldham - Thoughts On Today's Performance

headhunter

A 180 mile round trip for me. Those who made the 360 mile round trip from Bristol must in the main be like me in wondering how City are going to win the 7 games from the last 16 that I feel will be necessary to keep us up.

Giving the opposition the obligatory early goal by backing off in midfield we did do well to get back on level terms. Oldham were not a good side and a better performance from us could have earned all three points.

Here are my player ratings:

Moore : no better than Parrish - waste of a wage   (5)

Maloney: did nothing wrong but not much right either; low on self confidence (5)

Flint: did nothing wrong and got a goal (7)

El AB: best performance from him to date; culdn't have been any worse (6)

Williams: surprised he was selected ahead of Cunningham; wasted the ball in advance positions (5)

Burns: Failed to show up but no service before taken off for JET (5)

Marv: looked OK until stretchered off (6)

Pack: looked what he is .... a good league 2 player (6)

Reid: lightweight in the first half, much improved after the break (6)

Baldock: ran around a lot as usual, doesn't get the service the suits him, unnecessary booking (5)

Barnett: what a total waste of pace; my 88 year old mother is quicker off the mark than him (4)

Wade: better than last time out; couldn't have been any worse (5)

JET: it was cold and he looked bored (5)

We aren't looking good I'm afraid. I expect nothing from Orient on Tuesday, 3 points is a must against Tranmere and you just know it being City in the 6 pointer at Sheffield in a fortnight they won't show up.

A 180 mile round trip for me. Those who made the 360 mile round trip from Bristol must in the main be like me in wondering how City are going to win the 7 games from the last 16 that I feel will be necessary to keep us up.

Giving the opposition the obligatory early goal by backing off in midfield we did do well to get back on level terms. Oldham were not a good side and a better performance from us could have earned all three points.

Moore : no better than Parrish - waste of a wage (5)

Maloney: did nothing wrong but not much right either; low on self confidence (5)

Williams: surprised he was selected ahead of Cunningham; wasted the ball in advance positions (5)

Baldock: ran around a lot as usual, doesn't get the service the suits him, unnecessary booking (5)

Barnett: what a total waste of pace; my 88 year old mother is quicker off the mark than him (4)

We aren't looking good I'm afraid. I expect nothing from Orient on Tuesday, 3 points is a must against Tranmere and you just know it being City in the 6 pointer at Sheffield in a fortnight they won't show up.

SC needs to whip this team into shape on away days many times they lack any sort of attacking intent and just look like they don't want to be there

Why bother going, so negative with all the appraisals "couldn't do worse".

Pack according to another poster was MOM!

Think I'll wait for EP on Monday before deciding who to believe.

And BBC radio said Williams was MOM. An away point is almost always a good point. Frustrating not to win, I know, but I'm sure more people who went will come on with more positive outlooks.

I'm back too, "only" a 100 mile round trip for me.

In some ways we played ok in the second half but I've got little confidence we'll get out of trouble, especially if Marv's injury is as bad as it looked. January hasn't improved us, el Abd still looks dodgy to me, Barnett doesn't look fit, wade Elliott looked ok. On a positive note, it's a point in appalling conditions. We need wins now but we're a depressed club, so used to losing that not winning has become the norm.

I hate to think about it but relegation looks very, very real. At least I'm only 30 odd miles from Accrington!!

Looks very much like your opinions are based on preconceived ideas of each player than what they actually did today.

I thought we restricted them to minimal chances. Moore possibly should have done better with the goal but difficult to see from so far over to the left of the goal. A point away from home is ok if we can pick up our home points

It's not over by a long way

Moore is better around the whole of his box imo than Parish, will need to see it again but think he was beaten by how quick the shot was, it was a rocket.

El-Abd would be alright if he didn't do all his blatant pulling back of strikers, shirt pulling etc and flattening the guy where I thought we were lucky to not have a penalty awarded against us, there is just no need for it, it gives away silly free kicks which on another day we could have been punished for.

Pack was definitely the best of the CM's today, Bobby too often gave the ball away for which Pack often cleaned up as well as playing nice passes allowing us to start moving forward or retain possession. Wade Elliott would barely get a 4 for me, he did nothing except have a shot which went wide, totally anonymous.

Harsh on JET I feel, on the pitch for 25 mins where he took over Burns' wide role, not exactly allowed to do his drift everywhere style and get involved.

Think you have been a bit harsh on certain players. Pack was outstanding today and looked nothing like a league 2 player. Very harsh. Moore is also a calming prescience that we have missed in goal this season and his handling is very good.

I also thought Burns was very positive early on but he was starved of service second half. In typical Bristol City fashion he will know doubt be written off by know it all's on here. Much like Bolasie and even Adomah was.

Otherwise a good summary. I actually thought we played alright today but I am also struggling to see where the wins are going to come from.

Moore is better around the whole of his box imo than Parish, will need to see it again but think he was beaten by how quick the shot was, it was a rocket.

El-Abd would be alright if he didn't do all his blatant pulling back of strikers, shirt pulling etc and flattening the guy where I thought we were lucky to not have a penalty awarded against us, there is just no need for it, it gives away silly free kicks which on another day we could have been punished for.

Pack was definitely the best of the CM's today, Bobby too often gave the ball away for which Pack often cleaned up as well as playing nice passes allowing us to start moving forward or retain possession. Wade Elliott would barely get a 4 for me, he did nothing except have a shot which went wide, totally anonymous.

Harsh on JET I feel, on the pitch for 25 mins where he took over Burns' wide role, not exactly allowed to do his drift everywhere style and get involved.

Glad that I'm not the only one to think that about El-Abd. It doesn't matter one jot if he's a 'tough cookie' or a 'wind up merchant'....I seriously have to question the blokes intelligence as a footballer. He nearly cost us so many times with the stupid free kicks he gave away today. One in particular which resulted in Stead nearly scoring with a free kick from the edge of the area. The player he chopped had lost the ball but in true professional fashion El-Abd needlessly smashed through the back of him. Needless to say the least.

Glad that I'm not the only one to think that about El-Abd. It doesn't matter one jot if he's a 'tough cookie' or a 'wind up merchant'....I seriously have to question the blokes intelligence as a footballer. He nearly cost us so many times with the stupid free kicks he gave away today. One in particular which resulted in Stead nearly scoring with a free kick from the edge of the area. The player he chopped had lost the ball but in true professional fashion El-Abd needlessly smashed through the back of him. Needless to say the least.

Are you sure we got the right brother?

Also though James Wilson for them had a decent game at CB, while I know we didn't exactly pose too many dangers, on the ball at least he seemed calm and composed passing the ball out wide/further up the pitch, something we have been trying to do this season.

Having been to the game today, I don't think we could have asked for a lot more then what we saw in abhorrent conditions. With that stand missing, and the wind whipping in this was never going to be a tika-taka game!

Player wise I thought Maloney looked good, and pack had a steady game as he always seems to. No one stood out, but no one can be said to have had a bad performance. As long as you we win our home games a point away from home should always be a good result.

Crowd seemed to get behind the team, so no complaints from me....apart from the weather.

Moore : no better than Parrish - waste of a wage   (5)

Diont agree with any of your player ratings

And yes i was at the game

Made me wonder if you were though

I thought we battled well and deserved a point, though Flint really should have won it at the end.

I thought El Abd, Flint and Williams were much better than they have been recently, though if Derrick Williams never took a shot at goal again, I probably wouldn't mind.

Burns worked hard but couldn't find the end result, but every time he gets the ball you can hear the sense of excitement amongst our fans, another day he could've been MOM, it's not for a lack of ability.

Pack got stuck in and did well, as did Marv before he went off. Wade Elliott was rather vanilla, didn't do much good or bad, but he was a warm body.

Baldock was outwide a lot, and had the ball in good positions but failed to really do anything with it, Barnett threw his weight around a bit but really fatigued in the second half, and of course we had no sub striker available.

Fair play to JET, he came on and won the ball a few times. Had one shot narrowly wide and had another chance just before, but he lost the ball after falling over a step over. Obviously frustrating because I was stood there thinking with that left foot, just hit it.

All in all, an earned point but again we lack a cutting edge. At least we were solid at the back, especially against Stead who looked really sharp.

A good day topped off with songs about the Bristol Crocodile.

Why bother going, so negative with all the appraisals "couldn't do worse".

Pack according to another poster was MOM!

Think I'll wait for EP on Monday before deciding who to believe.

Don't bank on it. I was there and agree with every word of headhunter's post. First half was the worst half of football ( from either side) I have ever seen. Still trying to decide whether the second half was any better or not. Re Pack being MOM for us, he may have been but he did absolutely nothing that I can recall ( those facts Do NOT mutually exclude). Everyone was ordinary. On the plus side, we DID look like we were trying and we DID look like we cared

A good day topped off with songs about the Bristol Crocodile.

I did enjoy our version of "We've got 4 stands and a crocodile". But for mr the highlight was our response to their song"One Lee Johnson, there's only One Lee Johnson" to which our lot replied "Half a Lee Johnson, there's only Half a Lee Johnson".

I did enjoy our version of "We've got 4 stands and a crocodile". But for mr the highlight was our response to their song"One Lee Johnson, there's only One Lee Johnson" to which our lot replied "Half a Lee Johnson, there's only Half a Lee Johnson".

Haha, that was class.

HANDBALL!

Because it was a totally negative post in contrast to most others who were there maybe ?

Much like all of your posts - totally negative and anti-city.

To be honest, listening to the regulars post match comments on RB who were there  weren't exactly over ecstatic and we're filled with the same negative feelings as to where the wins to survive relegation would be coming from.

So on that note headhunters negative vibes seem totally justified.

So let's have your ratings then mate.

I was there - the car park was a pig to get out of but the Chicken Chilli pie was OK

Look i dont think we should beat each other up over this, you clearly made the effort to go and on that alone are entitled to an opinion.

I just happen to disagree with it.

Without going through each player, i think you have been hard on most of them and in particular maloney burns and baldock.

I like you am not convinced by moore, i want to see their goal again on tv, but although he should have been closed down, i feel the keeper should have pushed it over.

I thought the overall performance could be described as a good solid away performance, i appreciate we need wins now, but we are assessing this performance not our general dilemma.

Those on here describing it as the worst 1st half they have seen cant have been really watching some of the recent home games.

Additionally the conditions were appalling for football and i felt that other than the last 10 mins of the first half, we looked the better team and should and could have won the game

Being consistent with the theme of our exchange of views, i disagree on the pies, i had the mislabeled steak and kidney, mostly devoid of either cobtenet by the way , mainly pastry which was ok.

Pies i would rate as 3 :)

Archived