IGNORED

....Thoughts Of An Oldham Fan (Merged)

Cider red

'I rarely attend games these days but went yesterday. poor conditions but a poor Latics team against the worst Bristol city team I have ever seen. can see why we are one of the worst supported teams in the league.'

Depressing but he has a point. Can anyone remember us being worse than currently? Its not like we have the excuse of being bankrupt this time

Were shit yes but well supported we have more away than some teams in this league have home. Our fans are miserable little sods but that's because were bad, if there is even a sign of a turn of fortunes the support vocal will pick up.

I'm passed caring now, as the last thing the club needed was another major upheaval by bringing in a new man, but they did and we are where we are now, in turmoil, and destined for relegation barring a miracle.

After over 40 years supporting the club, I don't see the point of following it anymore as it's become an embarrassment, just a millionaire's folly, for him his mates and family, who treat us mere fans with complete and utter contempt.

Feel exactly the same 44 years of low's with some wonderful highs without doubt the lowest ever point in following this club , these 5 pillar plans seem to have been ditched already long term managers contract so another shed load of money to ditch him.

Over the hill or poor loan signings in a truly awful league 1 now can't decide who is the 1st choice keeper is ???

Can't decide on his best team or formation and as pointed out from the ground to the millions wasted it all looks like a rich man's busted toy  ..

Were shit yes but well supported we have more away than some teams in this league have home. Our fans are miserable little sods but that's because were bad, if there is even a sign of a turn of fortunes the support vocal will pick up.

The quote is from an Oldham fan. He's talking about how poor their support is. Ours is nothing short of fantastic considering our position.

Someone posted a good article about british footballs conception of how 'time' will make things come good. It pointed out that infact if things are bad more time for a manager will no doubt make it worse. In Europe they expect 3 years maximum for most managers, just because the same man saying the same things only works (on the whole, fergie is an exception) for a limited amount of time. Pep Gaurdiola argues this too. If you look at Odriscolls record it was appaulling, any other manager would have been sacked much before, but his 'intelligent rhetoric' won a lot over ( me included). If you listen back to him he was starting to sound like a broken record, a man devoid of confidence, which was clearly spilling over into the team, a win over Carlisle and crawley should have been our turning point, but they were both false dawns. Whilst I have questioned some of Cotteril's decisions (Osborne wingback!) he has got us almost a third of wins in our league games, much higher rate that his predecessor. Yes Jet's goals may have dried up, but this was happening towards the end of Odriscolls reign anyway. We have started picking up wins, but I fear we were left far too deep in the mire and mid table form unfortunately will still get us relegated.

Disagree with most of this - but much of it is conjecture and opinion, and your entitled to yours as much as I am mine! However, a couple of facts:

3 wins in 11 isn't a third. If we win tomorrow night I'll give you this one, but if we don't then its actually a quarter.

13 points in 11 games under SC - 11 in SODs last 11 - hardly "much higher rate"

And JET's goals drying up at the end of SODs reign? He scored 7 in 7 games!

Disagree with most of this - but much of it is conjecture and opinion, and your entitled to yours as much as I am mine! However, a couple of facts:

3 wins in 11 isn't a third. If we win tomorrow night I'll give you this one, but if we don't then its actually a quarter.

13 points in 11 games under SC - 11 in SODs last 11 - hardly "much higher rate"

And JET's goals drying up at the end of SODs reign? He scored 7 in 7 games!

I digress a much higher rate was an overstatement. Win percentage is higher though. And jet didn't score in just under a month in the league before sod left.

Noggers & Red-Robbo - I agree that words can be taken in whichever way the reader sees fit, but come on guys, you gotta admit, SC's comments about his time at Forest are ludicrously narcissistic.

If taken just as the written word, I could agree with what you're saying about him being confident.  But when we actually know that the history of the situation was that he presided over Forest's worst run in their history and not a single supporter of the club has any respect for him, you gotta admit he's over-egging himself here a little?? Mmmm?

So Forest fans don't like him. Well, I don't particularly like Forest fans, I really couldn't find a good word to say about any I've met - all bitter, all living in the past comparing every manager with Clough, and basically the sort of arrogant w*****s whose opinion I don't value.

After taking them to the bottom 3 at one stage did Cotterill not finish the season with Forest10 points clear of relegation? So, despite a terrible run that left them in trouble he did indeed turn it round.

So you think he's 'egged himself up a bit' regarding Forest. Maybe he has, I don't know, but he's been notably successful at other clubs and you will find many quotes from supporters of those clubs - i.e. Burnley, Portsmouth, Notts. County - who both like him and are grateful for the job he did there often under extremely difficult circumstances. You will also find some bitter at the way he left, or unhappy at a poor run of form that preceded his departure, but most will have the good grace to say he did a good job.

So why choose this quote particularly to ridicule and damn him? Overall his managerial record is good, and if he's confident he can turn City round, transfer this optimism to the players, and keep us up then I for one am pleased to hear it.

Archived