IGNORED

The Feminist Course

WTFiGO!?!

Just listened to a debate on 5 live about women in comedy. Typically, there were two female comedians kicking right off.

Am I naive/ignorant here or what?

Surely the whole point of equality is an eradication of divisivness. Isn't then, a debate about what sex a comedian is somewhat contradictory?

I'm not deliberately being controversial here but I've never heard any satisfactory explanation to the above point.

I'll appreciate your input, whether you be male/female, homo/hetro, white/black. . .

No sags, though. I do hold some prejudices.

Just listened to a debate on 5 live about women in comedy. Typically, there were two female comedians kicking right off.

Am I naive/ignorant here or what?

Surely the whole point of equality is an eradication of divisivness. Isn't then, a debate about what sex a comedian is somewhat contradictory?

I'm not deliberately being controversial here but I've never heard any satisfactory explanation to the above point.

I'll appreciate your input, whether you be male/female, homo/hetro, white/black. . .

No sags, though. I do hold some prejudices.

Comedy is if you're funny. Just like a man if you're not funny you're not going to sell tickets.

And if there's not a lot of females wanting to be comedians then of course there's not going to be many Female comedians!!!

People these days!! Always think they are being picked on or hard done by.

I do agree with you, though I suppose that if there are fewer opportunities for female comics then they can't help but make the distinction. At the end of the day, entertainment is about making money. TV execs could be the most prejudice, sexist bastard around but if a woman comes to them with a brilliant idea, it'll probably get made. That said, I'm not a struggling female comedian, so what do I know?!

I recently stumped a friends missus by asking her what it is the feminists fight against these days and she said (basically) ingrained attitudes, systems and prejudices that favour men over women, which I would wholeheartedly support. When I asked her who it is they fight against, she was stumped. There are no laws in this country that discriminate woman, everything is now down to perception and you can't wave a placard and burn your bra in front of a perception. I do think that discrimination against woman still exists in society but I don't think anyone has the foggiest what to do about it other than wait a generation or two for it to pass

My take on this is there is not enough female comedians who are actually funny, 5 or 6 I can think of at a push.

They get airtime because they are women, not because they are funny.

It's not equal because now they will get on panel shows even though they are stopping someone funnier going on.

People like Jo Brand etc must be loving this, means definite income!!! 

My take on this is there is not enough female comedians who are actually funny, 5 or 6 I can think of at a push.

It's not equal because now they will get on panel shows even though they are stopping someone funnier going on.

Nail on head.

Sarah Milican is pretty good, Andi Osho at a push, but who else ?

Simple fact is that if you are not funny, people do not want to watch you. The fact they are female is totally irrelevant.

I know that there are people who think women footballers should be paid a sum approaching their male equivalents. Again, people don't want to watch women's football.

You can't MAKE people enjoy something !

I think their argument though (and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it entirely) is that there are plenty of very funny female comedians, you just never see them because panel shows and the such like never have them on

I think their argument though (and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it entirely) is that there are plenty of very funny female comedians, you just never see them because panel shows and the such like never have them on

Then why are so many of those who do get airtime so terribly unfunny? I really don't want to listen to Bernard Manning, but neither do I want to listen to Bernarda Manning :(

Nail on head.

Sarah Milican is pretty good, Andi Osho at a push, but who else ?

Simple fact is that if you are not funny, people do not want to watch you. The fact they are female is totally irrelevant.

I know that there are people who think women footballers should be paid a sum approaching their male equivalents. Again, people don't want to watch women's football.

You can't MAKE people enjoy something !

In terms of Mock the Week you have Sarah Millican, wouldn't call Andi Osho funny, Katherine Ryan now and again, Sara Pascoe, thats it really.

I go to many comedy clubs, there really isn't many funny female comics.

Most do the same material about babies, periods and hating men. That's it.

In terms of Mock the Week you have Sarah Millican, wouldn't call Andi Osho funny, Katherine Ryan now and again, Sara Pascoe, thats it really.

I go to many comedy clubs, there really isn't many funny female comics.

Most do the same material about babies, periods and hating men. That's it.

As I said, Bernarda Manning. Boring and sexist.

There could be a simple test, have 2 versions of mock the week and other shows which are highlighted. One with an entirely male cast, one with an entirely female cast. See which draws highest ratings... however I feel we could guess that now.

Exactly. It's the fact female comedians aren't funny. If you pay money to have a laugh you'd chose the one most likely to make you laugh. I find Sarah Millacan funny so if I had the choice of her or Andy Parsons (who I don't find that funny) then I'll chose Sarah Millican

You don't see many on shows like Mock the week as the producers will get the best selling comedians so that the show gets higher ratings. If a female comedian was doing really well I'm sure they'd get offered to go on

Exactly. It's the fact female comedians aren't funny. If you pay money to have a laugh you'd chose the one most likely to make you laugh. I find Sarah Millacan funny so if I had the choice of her or Andy Parsons (who I don't find that funny) then I'll chose Sarah Millican

You don't see many on shows like Mock the week as the producers will get the best selling comedians so that the show gets higher ratings. If a female comedian was doing really well I'm sure they'd get offered to go on

I can't think of a female comedian that makes me laugh, Sarah Millican included. Now Andy Parsons on the other hand, I've seen his last two live tours and they've been absolutely brilliant. The woman sat in front of me was laughing uncontrollably, so much so I thought she was going to wet herself....maybe she did.

Dame Edna's done pretty well! :)

re: mother in law jokes - kinda died out when they became MILF's.

Think for a good comedian the skys the limit, theres no glass ceiling limiting how high they can go regardless of race, religion, sexuality or gender..... (although some) mediocre female comics reserve the right to blame sexism as they drop kicking a screaming through the inevitable pelvic floor)....  :devil:

(pleased posters are resisting the temptation to view spurious feminist arguments as erm, red rags to bulls..) 

I can't think of a female comedian that makes me laugh, Sarah Millican included. Now Andy Parsons on the other hand, I've seen his last two live tours and they've been absolutely brilliant. The woman sat in front of me was laughing uncontrollably, so much so I thought she was going to wet herself....maybe she did.

He's just my least favourite on Mock the Week. Milton Jones is the funniest. But the point is still there its entertainment the audience pay for quality (unless it's football) If you were going to buy tickets and you see a female comedian you know will make you laugh and male comedian who you find boring you'll go with the female and vice versa.

Bloody hell!

Comments like ' women comedians are not funny' is simply ridiculous. There are plenty, and I mean plenty male of comedians who aren't funny.

It's about personal taste. I think both Peter Kay and Michael McIntyre are hillarous but I don't find Russell Brand or that other Russell bloke amusing at all.

Bloody hell!

Comments like ' women comedians are not funny' is simply ridiculous. There are plenty, and I mean plenty male of comedians who aren't funny.

It's about personal taste. I think both Peter Kay and Michael McIntyre are hillarous but I don't find Russell Brand or that other Russell bloke amusing at all.

Spot the non-sequitur.

Comments like ' women comedians are not funny' is simply ridiculous.

It's about personal taste.

So you moan at peoples personal taste, and then claim it's all about personal taste like its some sort of moral armour.

Fact is few women comedians have broad appeal.

Lets look at the ones that have become house hold names:

French and Saunders

Miranda

And then I start to struggle. You could argue, especially in the case of Miranda they're not that funny but have got overly generous pushes by the BBC.

So you moan at peoples personal taste, and then claim it's all about personal taste like its some sort of moral armour.

French and Saunders

Miranda

And then I start to struggle. You could argue, especially in the case of Miranda they're not that funny but have got overly generous pushes by the BBC.

Take Sara Millican also pushed by the BBC is one comedian that I personally think is about as unfunny as it gets. Others think she's brilliant.

Personal taste. Gender has bugger all to do with talent.

French and Saunders

Miranda

Miranda: how long can you carry on getting a laugh for falling over ?

I am at a loss to understand exactly what her talent is

Really Tone?

I think her talent is bloody amazing, how the heck she manages to morph into Clive Anderson and back again depending on the intellect of program he/she/they are appearing on is downright spooky. I cant think of anything wierder than that, possibly with the exception of the hilarious Jeanette Kranky.

Come to think of it, i did like Smack the Pony.

Why didn't you notice that it was a woman? Because she was bloody funny, that's why!

It's all very well to make a point through comedy, but it has to be funny in the first place. Best example is Chaplin in The Great Dictator...

Archived