IGNORED

Warnock Hints He'd Have Taken The Job!

YellowRabbit

He has said this in the past. It's fairly common knowledge.

Thankfully he didn't get offered the chance to come here.

I'm not really sure of the point of this thread, but if its implying that Warnock to have considered gracing us with his presence would be an honour, I disagree.

If you are of that mindset however, then it's worth noting that in his opinion, we have the right man in SC.

so lets put our efforts into supporting him!

What it again illustrates is what the wider football world think of Bristol/Bristol City.

We tend to be somewhat insular in our attitude towards our city and our club and look upon ourselves as being some kind of backwater where it's hard to attract quality players/managers.
The fact is, speaking to lots of other players/ex players or managers, Bristol City is actually a well regarded club and the phrase "light the touch paper" is often quoted.

If only we could find someone who could do it...

Milan Mandaric called me on Monday morning about helping him out at Hillsborough and I said it would be pretty much impossible for me to manage the Owls being a lifelong Sheffield United fan

That's done for one of my opinions - it looks like he does have at least one principle.....

Well don't think at his age (He's a pensioner now) he will have too much ambition left to manage any football club, but I wouldn't want him anyway, nothing personal just that what we need I think is some younger blood and Cotts does fit that bill.

As far as talking the club down we ourselves do enough of that to satisfy the rest of the footballing world, we have always been a little 'soft', what we need to take this club forward starts with the owners, if there is no ambition to invest in the club, other than to 'tread water' than we will never achieve the heights that surely a City like Bristol deserves.

Perhaps in hindsight the real problem is not a lack of ambition within the club but the likes of the few in the Council who prefer their community to be a better place without all the awful distractions of a vibrant City that have Stadia for the public can enjoy,  Bristol has less facilities than any other City, without infrastructure we will always be a small time club(s).

In our case no one asked for tax payers money, grants etc, the Stadium was going to be funded by private money, and to boot Bristol as a whole would receive the Kudos, you would think they would have snapped Stev's  hand off, wouldn't you?

What gets me is that all these Greens have been parachuted in from the Home Counties. If they really wanted to live in the country, why didn't they set up home on the Levels? Possibly in houseboats...

Warnock has had is time but was good for the game. I can remember when he was manager of Sheffield Utd and his certre half had a nasty look bruise over one his eyes. When questioned about the injury and whether the player was alright, Warnock replied, I've told him not to worry, it's only his head. Classic !

I'd not have fancied him here, mainly because he tends to leave clubs worse off structurally than when he turns up.

Out of the four he's managed in the last 20 years, only Palace went on to improve after he left, and that was the job he legged it from because he couldn't handle them being in admin.

He gets results, and his teams are tough to play against, but ideally we should have little bit more of a longer-term vision.

Plus, it's not like he can sign Shaun Derry to shore up our midfield anymore, which was basically his first trick at every club he worked at !  

I'd not have fancied him here, mainly because he tends to leave clubs worse off structurally than when he turns up.

Out of the four he's managed in the last 20 years, only Palace went on to improve after he left, and that was the job he legged it from because he couldn't handle them being in admin.

He gets results, and his teams are tough to play against, but ideally we should have little bit more of a longer-term vision.

Plus, it's not like he can sign Shaun Derry to shore up our midfield anymore, which was basically his first trick at every club he worked at !  

Never thought I'd find myself sticking up for Warnock on Otib but, to be fair to him, he did get clubs to massively overachieve so it's not surprising things went off the track afterwards.  Certainly QPR's problems now are little to do with Warnock.

His tactical limitations ultimately worked against him in the top flight but he was a great motivator who got some superb results.  I wouldn't want him now - and doubt he still wants to manage - but I'd have loved to have had him in the late 90s or 2000s.

Never thought I'd find myself sticking up for Warnock on Otib but, to be fair to him, he did get clubs to massively overachieve so it's not surprising things went off the track afterwards.  Certainly QPR's problems now are little to do with Warnock.

His tactical limitations ultimately worked against him in the top flight but he was a great motivator who got some superb results.  I wouldn't want him now - and doubt he still wants to manage - but I'd have loved to have had him in the late 90s or 2000s.

Yeah, this is true.

Still, wouldn't want him just now.

Would have bitten his hand off - a great CV, loads of promotions with so called 'unfashionable' clubs - Scarborough, Notts Co, Huddersfield and Plymouth in the lower leagues.

The documentary a few years ago which was a 'behind the scenes' look at one whole season with Sheff Utd was brilliant. Showed his motivational skills and man management.

Yep, his time has probably come and gone but his CV, passion and determination would have been just what we wanted and needed around the Millen era.

We missed out....

Lets be honest, Cotts was lined up whilst SOD was still in charge, couod have been possible that Cotts was having a word in Dawes ear. Cotts couod have been influential in getting rid of SOD. The guy does like to talk after all.

I would have given the job to Colin, simular to GJ he would have got the whole club pulling in the same direction.

He has said this in the past. It's fairly common knowledge.

Thankfully he didn't get offered the chance to come here.

I'm not really sure of the point of this thread, but if its implying that Warnock to have considered gracing us with his presence would be an honour, I disagree.

If you are of that mindset however, then it's worth noting that in his opinion, we have the right man in SC.

so lets put our efforts into supporting him!

Thankfully ? Do you prefer to see BC getting up and coming managers such as DMC that fail ?

Thankfully ? Do you prefer to see BC getting up and coming managers such as DMC that fail ?

We've had up-and-coming managers fail, first-time managers fail and well-respected managers fail.  Maybe Warnock would have succeeded where others hadn't but it's all conjecture.  For all his past glories, I'm not sure the Warnock who managed QPR during the premier league season and subequently Leeds would have achieved anything different...

Archived