IGNORED

Coach One Problems?

City vs Rovers

i thought you were given a seat number on your ticket

like that is ever going to make up for the physical and emotional damage of the experience.

its like saying "it was bloody uncomfortable and disturbing, but to be fair uncle Jim gave me one of his "Jim fixed it for me" badges when it was all over."

Just about to book the CATS tickets to Sheffield away, may I ask, what is the problem with coach one? As I am unsure whether to book on there or not.

re-named as the Royston Vasey express...a truly twilight experience..another quirk is they do tend to do a few pick-ups after leaving the Gate which can be a little frustrating when your sat at Teso Eastville for 15 mins or so because someone "isnt yet here but will be here soon"..last time i did coach one it was 40 minutes from leaving AG to getting to the end of the M32...they are friendly enough but keener on 45 mins at a service station than an early arrival and the chance of a couple of scoops!..

• Admin

I have only been on CATs once, it was a surreal experience. In the 89/90 season, for some bizarre reason, instead of driving or taking the train a couple of us decided that it would be a good idea to go to Leyton Orient on CATs.

On our arrival at the ground, we surveyed the array of modern plush vehicles lining the car park, all with the latest facilities, including a toilet, which was a godsend, as we had blagged a few early beers in the Whitening Yard. As we made our way doen the line of coaches, the higher the numbers, the more aged and shabbier the coaches got, until we got to ours, it was something out of a classical bus rally, a 1960's charabang, not toilet, no air con, it just about had seats and wheels.

The convoy of coaches set off from AG and headed to the motorway, even the shabbiest of the modern coaches left us behind, as our Driver, a jovial chap, with a sports jacket, complete with leather elbow patches, a large pipe and a swathe of greased back, black hair, fought with the gearstick, whilst double declutching like a tap dancer on speed.

I think we got up to 50 mph at one stage, conversation was difficult, over the howling and whine of the rear axle, which had probably covered more miles than a space shuttle. The Driver never lost his joviality, even though each slope meant another stir of the gearbox pudding and a flailing left leg on the seemingly ineffective clutch, as he down shifted to try and keep momentum.

We finally caught the other coaches at Heston services, our fellow fans on there had slaked their thirsts, had their fill of dodgy looking grub served up by a multitude of what i'm sure were illegal immigrants, we just about had time to empty, by now painful and in some cases, leaking, bladders, before we had to get back on our coach and join the rear of the convoy.

As we got into London at the end of the M4, all the other coaches went round the roundabout and took the third exit, our laid back, pipe smoking Driver, took the second exit, we exchanged nervous glances and he was questioned about not following the convoy. He confidently assured us that he knew a way to the ground and with a workout worthy of a champion boxer he fought the ancient beast throigh the streets of London, the steering obviously had no power assistance, the clutch and gearbox must have taken years to master and true to his word we arrived at the ground. No sign of the plush coaches, the 'special' fans of coach 1 (also coach 2 back then) and the other regular fans arrived at half time, as they had got lost and stuck in horendous traffic.

When we left the game, the Driver enquired if we were all in a hurry to get back to Bristol (as much as his antique could hurry) or did we fancy a detour as he knew a nice little pub. The coach was unanimous, the Driver had won our trust and he, true to his word, delivered us to a pub, where we drank and ate decent food, he had his food paid for and was offered plenty of beers, he declined all but one. We got back long after the other coaches, but it was a memorable trip.

I believe its against the law to drink/have an open alcoholic beverage in any vehicle on the road.

Having done some "2wentys" Skegness weekenders in the past. I drank more on the coach's there than at Skegnes I think. So not sure its against the law as was very much encouraged.

I have only been on CATs once, it was a surreal experience. In the 89/90 season, for some bizarre reason, instead of driving or taking the train a couple of us decided that it would be a good idea to go to Leyton Orient on CATs.

On our arrival at the ground, we surveyed the array of modern plush vehicles lining the car park, all with the latest facilities, including a toilet, which was a godsend, as we had blagged a few early beers in the Whitening Yard. As we made our way doen the line of coaches, the higher the numbers, the more aged and shabbier the coaches got, until we got to ours, it was something out of a classical bus rally, a 1960's charabang, not toilet, no air con, it just about had seats and wheels.

The convoy of coaches set off from AG and headed to the motorway, even the shabbiest of the modern coaches left us behind, as our Driver, a jovial chap, with a sports jacket, complete with leather elbow patches, a large pipe and a swathe of greased back, black hair, fought with the gearstick, whilst double declutching like a tap dancer on speed.

I think we got up to 50 mph at one stage, conversation was difficult, over the howling and whine of the rear axle, which had probably covered more miles than a space shuttle. The Driver never lost his joviality, even though each slope meant another stir of the gearbox pudding and a flailing left leg on the seemingly ineffective clutch, as he down shifted to try and keep momentum.

We finally caught the other coaches at Heston services, our fellow fans on there had slaked their thirsts, had their fill of dodgy looking grub served up by a multitude of what i'm sure were illegal immigrants, we just about had time to empty, by now painful and in some cases, leaking, bladders, before we had to get back on our coach and join the rear of the convoy.

As we got into London at the end of the M4, all the other coaches went round the roundabout and took the third exit, our laid back, pipe smoking Driver, took the second exit, we exchanged nervous glances and he was questioned about not following the convoy. He confidently assured us that he knew a way to the ground and with a workout worthy of a champion boxer he fought the ancient beast throigh the streets of London, the steering obviously had no power assistance, the clutch and gearbox must have taken years to master and true to his word we arrived at the ground. No sign of the plush coaches, the 'special' fans of coach 1 (also coach 2 back then) and the other regular fans arrived at half time, as they had got lost and stuck in horendous traffic.

When we left the game, the Driver enquired if we were all in a hurry to get back to Bristol (as much as his antique could hurry) or did we fancy a detour as he knew a nice little pub. The coach was unanimous, the Driver had won our trust and he, true to his word, delivered us to a pub, where we drank and ate decent food, he had his food paid for and was offered plenty of beers, he declined all but one. We got back long after the other coaches, but it was a memorable trip.

quite a good read-not related to that Bill Bryson are yew???

Or you were the reason?

CATS is cheap and easy..... you will of course find It hard if you are an alcoholic ... myself am not so never had any problems and enjoyed a few good videos along the way as well ..... especially ones of great City games gone by.... granted it does seem to take an age to get home sometimes

I was precisely the reason. As I was an outsider!

Not an alcoholic last time I checked.

This story was more interesting than most matches I've seen this season. Could you write something a bit longer that I could read during the Tranmere match if it gets a bit dull?

Strong similarities to me:  I have been on a CATS coach once, away to Reading the year after the bad crowd trouble:  mid 80s.

That's where the similarities end:  I remember little about the day, the journey or the game.  Thus have nothing else interesting to report.

Archived