IGNORED

Could Scott Murray Have Played In The Premier League?

prankerd

Without a doubt, he could have. He peaked too late to get a move to the prem though. Reading was because he didn't fit their style.

Really? You see I didn't think he was anything like the old Scotty when he came back , just good , not great. Was never quite good enough for the PL for me, maybe a good championship player in his pomp.

He played about 4 games in the Prem in 96/97 according to Soccerbase

So the answer is yes, although you could argue it is actually no, as Villa sold him to us (then in the 3rd division) presumably because they didn't think he was good enough.

Regardless IMHO think he could have played championship no probs but prob wasn't Prem class. That said if he'd gone up in one of those well organised 'tight' teams that hit the ground running after they go up, he might have been able to hold his own e.g. Reading when they went up the first time (after he'd been there). 

I shall now pick the spilnters from the fence out of my.......

Really? You see I didn't think he was anything like the old Scotty when he came back , just good , not great. Was never quite good enough for the PL for me, maybe a good championship player in his pomp.

The season he dropped 27 goals he was emense and would have fitted into any premier league team, when he went to Reading it was a different system and he wasnt the same after and was past his peak.

His best season for us was obviously that 26 goal haul in 2002/03. I thought I'd look at the RM who were playing in the Prem at the point.

He probably could've played back up RM at Villa, Bolton, Sunderland and WBA.

Birmingham and Charlton didn't seem to have an out and out right midfielder/winger so probably could have done a job there.

Purely opinionated and speculative obviously but if someone had taken a punt on him and played a similar style to we had that season he could've been successful.

At Reading he was a regular under Pardew and when he moved on Murray didn't fit into the new manager's system. I swear I recall Pardew saying he would've taken Murray with him to West Ham?

As good a winger as I have seen in my time at the Gate from 1989.

At his prime he would have been a good prem winger for sure, not top, top, but better then many others who have got a berth there in recent years.

Reading as many have said was not his fault, manager and system changed after his arrive and the position he had shone (out and out winger, coming in from mainly the right) did not exist in the way Reading was set up.

I have been lucky enough to meet him a few times since he stopped playing and he is a cracking fella and a true "ctiy" man...

I would have liked to have seen him play alongside a Peacock or Adebola. Had the priceless ability to finish with ease just "passing" the ball into the net. I'll never forget that goal against Oldham on a Tuesday night. Made a tackle on edge of our own box, ran 60 yards and passed the ball round their keeper from the edge of their box.

Scott Murray is a top, top bloke but unfortunately that fact is colouring peoples footballing memories of him. Murray was a decent third division winger and nothing more. Time spent at Villa and Reading proved he wasn't quite a Championship or above player. He would obviously improve City's struggling squad at the moment without any doubt.

I think he started off as a striker in the Scottish lower leagues scoring an obscene amount of goals. But with Dwight Yorke the first name on the team sheet at Villa, Brian Little came in and switched him to right-back (playing right wing-back in a 3-5-2 in four Prem starts). But he was a striker in Villa youth and reserve sides when Ron Atkinson was in charge and had loan offers from second tier clubs before the managerial change at Villa Park. Little wanted to spend time working on a positional change with Scott from striker training him to be an attacking full-back. John Ward always played him right-back in a back four for us before Benny and Pulis left him out. It was only under that caretaker trio of Rosenior/Fawthrop/Burnside that he started playing right-wing and came into his own.

Archived