IGNORED

Scottish Independence - A Way For Scotland To Leave The E U

Mr Mosquito

If only we could....

Still think the Scots should take it with them: they settled it.

hahaha,

personally I don't think they will vote for independance myself but if they did you can see them struggling because apart from north sea oil, what are their exports? (i generally don't know)

Where is the majority of their power produced from? etc....

hahaha,

personally I don't think they will vote for independance myself but if they did you can see them struggling because apart from north sea oil, what are their exports? (i generally don't know)

Where is the majority of their power produced from? etc....

Whisky

Smoked Kippers

Sean Connery

They have a disproportionate number of public sector jobs, especially military in Scotland. If Scotland does leave it could be a great boost for some regions that could take up these jobs (maybe in the north where they are needed).

The thing is, no matter how much the Scots moan about England, they will say no to independence - whereas if England had the same opportunity to get rid of Scotland (hell even NI and Wales) they would be gone in a heartbeat.

Does any trust the UK government though to negotiate a good deal for England (territorial waters, split of assets, debt etc) because in the unlikely event of Scotland saying ciao  -  I reckon we will get screwed.

They have a disproportionate number of public sector jobs, especially military in Scotland. If Scotland does leave it could be a great boost for some regions that could take up these jobs (maybe in the north where they are needed).

The thing is, no matter how much the Scots moan about England, they will say no to independence - whereas if England had the same opportunity to get rid of Scotland (hell even NI and Wales) they would be gone in a heartbeat.

Does any trust the UK government though to negotiate a good deal for England (territorial waters, split of assets, debt etc) because in the unlikely event of Scotland saying ciao - I reckon we will get screwed.

You make a very good point, Fiale.

Territorial waters are meant to follow the "angle" of the border, which if you look at Cumbria to Northumbria would take the maritime border on a north-easterly projection from Berwick. If you look at any maps the SNP have drawn up, the maritime border runs flat to the land - dead due east. This is important because several oilfields would remain UK territory if the proper convention was followed. But nowhere have I seen the SNP's assumptions challenged.

And what was all this about "if we don't get to use the pound, we won't pay our share of the debt". It's not a voluntary contribution it's a DEBT. Run up during the course of a United Kingdom.

Depends who is the sitting government. Labour would role over and give stuff away to help Scottish labour.

The Tories would probably aim to get the best deal for its MPs business interests, so fingers crossed thats also whats bedt for UK remnant.

The Lib Dems would surrender.

and Farage would have to take refuge in a pub again from the baying crowd.

another question if scotland did gain independance and didn't join the EU would that mean all Scottish players playing in England need a work permit?

Good point, presumably also questions as to whether they would be entitled to tax credits, council housing and unemployment benefit and NHS

Good point, presumably also questions as to whether they would be entitled to tax credits, council housing and unemployment benefit and NHS

imo they would be entitled to none, all funding from the british govenment should stop from day one of independance, I mean they can rule theirselfs and surve on the dwindling reserves of north sea oil (believed to be 50 years left in those fields)

It's a real shame that England isn't having a vote on making Scotland independent.

Excellent suggestion! And only when they become independent will I forgive the Scottish for not singing the National Anthem before sporting events and especially the Calcutta Cup. Perhaps it is time for the English to demand to have an English National Anthem.

It will be interesting to hear how Salmon intends to spin that.

he'll just say it was under pressure by the hipocritical british govenment an another sign of England meddling in scottish affairs,

If they get it they will want to crawl back with in 5 to 10 years

I see RBS posted 8.2 billion pound loses again (Royal bank of Scotland), if the jocks gain independance would they take this loss making cowboy bank with them, in turn the money the british govenment would save by this could be reinvested into much need flood defenses,

Archived