IGNORED

Last Convincing Home Win?

Show Me The Money!

We beat Cambridge 6-0 on New Years Day once (2002?), it could've been 12; Tinnion putting Murray through every couple of minutes it seemed!

Wasn't it 6-2?

Remember Lionel Perez getting sent off for handling outside the area. From the resulting free-kick, Tinnion flicked the ball up for Beadle to smash in. Even that was 2-2 at half time!

I'd say that Gillingham game, an obvious choice given the score

Sounds like you have an agenda and will be hard to please.

3 points is 3 points.

Go support Barcelona or Real Madrid if you want 90% possession and demolition of teams for 90 mins.

I think that's a bit unfair on the OP. It's a good point that despite promotion from League 1 and a gnats whisker away from a second promotion we haven't hit a spell of form where everything has clicked for a number of games. Not since Danny Wilson's team has anyone expected a comfortable win as opposed to grinding out a result.

I think that's a bit unfair on the OP. It's a good point that despite promotion from League 1 and a gnats whisker away from a second promotion we haven't hit a spell of form where everything has clicked for a number of games. Not since Danny Wilson's team has anyone expected a comfortable win as opposed to grinding out a result.

That's exactly my point. I have no agenda what so ever. It's just whilst watching the game on Saturday I started thinking about when I came and watched City during Joe Jordan's promotion season and watching City just batter teams for 90 mins.

For just one game this season I'd love to see a performance like that. This current team should be capable of that

Sheffield Utd this season, somehow we contrived to lose 1-0 but a more one-sided game you are never likely to see again. How did we lose that game? How did we?  How? (Oh no, I'm rocking in my chair again.... wibble).

Ummm, by having a completely isolated striker labouring to get past defenders who towered over him. Like all the other games we lost around that time.

They were happy to let us have all the possession because we did buggr'all with it.

The last time I felt really great coming away from Ashton Gate was the 4-2 win v Cardiff at the start of last season.....we were superb that day, hammered local rivals and league favourites....faint whisperings of 'play off contenders' as I strolled back to the car in the sun with my Dad....

Hard to believe that was only 18 months ago.

Ummm, by having a completely isolated striker labouring to get past defenders who towered over him. Like all the other games we lost around that time.

They were happy to let us have all the possession because we did buggr'all with it.

To me this is a little bit of a re-invention of the truth. We were scoring more than a goal a game (24 goals in 16 games in fact), even back then; our problem was not scoring or creating chances; it was conceding (28 goals in 16 games). SOD made attempts to correct this by playing some really dull stuff attempting to retain possession (I remember all the corners at Crewe taken short, costing us the game) ... and it was this that caused the goals to dry up but we looked a little more organised. The Sheff Utd game was the end for SOD because we lost it, when we should have won it. And yet it was the first game in which we restricted the opposition to just three attempts on goal, which was ironic. The defence were blamed, the goalkeepers were blamed, but all along it was an absence of a midfield that stopped us from retaining possession allowing sides to carve us open at will. Liam Kelly, even Stephen Pearson may have changed this, we'll never know. But now we are playing at a "I Tempoh" things look great don't they? Well not for me. They look completely disorganised at times, but maybe our luck will change.

To me this is a little bit of a re-invention of the truth. We were scoring more than a goal a game (24 goals in 16 games in fact), even back then; our problem was not scoring or creating chances; it was conceding (28 goals in 16 games). SOD made attempts to correct this by playing some really dull stuff attempting to retain possession (I remember all the corners at Crewe taken short, costing us the game) ... and it was this that caused the goals to dry up but we looked a little more organised. The Sheff Utd game was the end for SOD because we lost it, when we should have won it. And yet it was the first game in which we restricted the opposition to just three attempts on goal, which was ironic. The defence were blamed, the goalkeepers were blamed, but all along it was an absence of a midfield that stopped us from retaining possession allowing sides to carve us open at will. Liam Kelly, even Stephen Pearson may have changed this, we'll never know. But now we are playing at a "I Tempoh" things look great don't they? Well not for me. They look completely disorganised at times, but maybe our luck will change.

Well you say we should have won, but we offered very little that game. It isn't as if the Blades keeper was kept gainfully employed.

Back then our main gameplan was A) a bit of individual brilliance from JET or B) a defensive disaster from our opponents a la Crawley.

When you don't get into your opponent's final third much, you allow even the most timid and inept sides to push up, and that's what happened then. You're right to single out the midfield, because the way we lined up just didn't allow us to transfer the ball from our defence to our forward line effectively. 

This season it has been Stevenage at home (4-1) and Carlisle away (4-1). Unfortunately results like this have been few and far between but we have the capability to achieve them. Simply down to SC to get the best out of the players

4-2 away werent it?

3-1 went to 3-2 and could have gone either way at the end!

Well we seem to have played a fair few games under the cosh for pretty much 90 minutes.

Really?

The possession statistics do not bear this out.  We may have been passing it around a lot at the back without any significant penetration but that is not being under the cosh.  Schoolboy defensive errors and lack of a midfield cutting edge have been our downfall in most games (together with the occasional odd team selection). I can't remember us being under the cosh or totally dominated in many games, Peterborough is the stand out one where we were. 

Really?

The possession statistics do not bear this out. We may have been passing it around a lot at the back without any significant penetration but that is not being under the cosh. Schoolboy defensive errors and lack of a midfield cutting edge have been our downfall in most games (together with the occasional odd team selection). I can't remember us being under the cosh or totally dominated in many games, Peterborough is the stand out one where we were.

It's the only one. When we lose its stupid errors I can think of 7 goals all season that haven't been defensive errors

Archived