IGNORED

Scruff Of The Neck

where's the joy

its an old expression but its the one we used to describe how gerry gow took hold of a game and bossed a match from midfield. as in 'he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck'

tin man used to do it when he had mickey bell at fullback and jim brennan as wing back with some sublime football taking hold of games by the scruff of the neck.

today we don't have that. maybe marlin pack could become the man if played further forward but gillett, w.elliott and the rest can't give us this arrogance, the strength, the range of passing and the will to win.

its what we have needed for ages and if we are going to avoid relegation this year we desperately need.

its an old expression but its the one we used to describe how gerry gow took hold of a game and bossed a match from midfield. as in 'he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck'

tin man used to do it when he had mickey bell at fullback and jim brennan as wing back with some sublime football taking hold of games by the scruff of the neck.

today we don't have that. maybe marlin pack could become the man if played further forward but gillett, w.elliott and the rest can't give us this arrogance, the strength, the range of passing and the will to win.

its what we have needed for ages and if we are going to avoid relegation this year we desperately need.

Hopefully when Kelly comes back Pack will get to play in a slightly more advanced role where he can do such thing.

Steve Galliers. Gary Shelton. They used to do it. Not sure about Tinman, though you did qualify it by saying that his 'football' took games by the scruff of the neck.

Unfortunately, the midfield 'terrier' or hardman is a dying breed these days. I remember the Mersey derbies of the eighties... Peter Reid v Steve MacMahon etc.. legs flying everywhere from first whistle to last.

I am currently reading one of the many Brian Clough biographies. Although his own teams didn't necessarily set up that way, a lot of emphasis throughout the book is on Leeds. Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner etc.

I miss the days of 'blood and thunder', and without wishing to sound xenophobic, I do blame the influx of the continentals for their demise.

Graeme Souness and Gerry Gow had some incredible battles. Steve McMahon was a genuine hard man, no question. I quite liked seeing Roy Keane go to battle with Bryan Robson, Gazza and David Batty while at Forest, and Batty, Ince and Viera while at Man U. Especially Keane-Viera, you knew if Keane could sort him out Utd were going to do Arsenal.

I remember Vinnie Jones taking out Peter Reid in 5 or 6 seconds once, for Sheff Utd against Man City. Reidy was weary for the rest of the game. Steve Galliers actually left Wimbledon after a bust-up with Jones - I imagine there wasn't enough room for both; they both wanted to be the dominant midfielder.

David Beckham for England against Greece in terms of workate and football-wise.

I bet Cotts can remember Steve Galliers - ex-Crazy Gang is Cotts. Vinnie was such a dominant prescence that Galliers left and Wisey was on the wing!

Another combative midfielder in that mould, was Danny Wilson! He was the perfect foil for John Sheridan in that Sheff Weds midfield, Danny would be harassing the opposition and getting his foot in, playing it simply to Sheridan, before giving Sheridan instructions on where to play the ball with Sheridan's excellent passing ability - in a way it was like Wilson was using Sheridan's technical skill with his own vision and grafting, as he'd make intelligent runs with constant hand/arm gestures to his team-mates. Very good battling, 'scruff-of-the-neck', game-reading midfielder was Danny Wilson.

I bet Cotts can remember Steve Galliers - ex-Crazy Gang is Cotts. Vinnie was such a dominant prescence that Galliers left and Wisey was on the wing!

Another combative midfielder in that mould, was Danny Wilson! He was the perfect foil for John Sheridan in that Sheff Weds midfield, Danny would be harassing the opposition and getting his foot in, playing it simply to Sheridan, before giving Sheridan instructions on where to play the ball with Sheridan's excellent passing ability - in a way it was like Wilson was using Sheridan's technical skill with his own vision and grafting, as he'd make intelligent runs with constant hand/arm gestures to his team-mates. Very good battling, 'scruff-of-the-neck', game-reading midfielder was Danny Wilson.

Were they really playing in the same era?

I'm knockin' on a bit and time plays funny tricks but I thought Galliers was from an earlier period.

Archived