IGNORED

Ryan Taylor - Goal Machine!

AndrewBCFC1

No, Heskey was far more prolific than Taylor, and far more prolific than many give him credit for. However no one ever put Heskey up front to score, he was there to hold up the play. We have a player (JET) who should not be relied upon to take the ball with his back to goal and give us a foot hold in the other half from which to base attacks, and prevent pressure building up on our goal, a role Sam Baldock does not have the build to perform either. As a result our midfield/defenders get the ball and look up and JET isn't in space for the ball and Sammy is on the shoulder of the last man. Step up Taylor to just hold it up. Most of the best sides in the world are looking back to a big guy up top (Lewandowski and Mandzukic were the 2 strikers in the CL final) to hold it up for midfielders. A role we have no player to fill.

But on a more practical note, Taylor leaving left us with 2 proper strikers (baldock and barnett)

Agree wholeheartedly. Very very rarely did we see him as a square peg in a square hole. He certainly had potential and had strengths.

Many will point at his record, which was undoubtedly poor, but I've little doubt his career will show him to be perfect foil for the right striker, which Baldock may have been. I'd almost compare him to Skuse - a rare star performer but you'd certainly want him for you than against even though his strengths may go unnoticed.

Perhaps he's found his level....??

That's not meant to be critical or having a go - just that its not a real comparison when he played all his games for us in the Championship/L! and is now playing in L2.

i feel that your right about finding a level..good luck to the ginger Drogba,one thing for him was whenever i watched him play he gave 100%. 

I think the reason for the drastic change in form is due to deep psychological problems.

At City he had to play in a red shirt, which as anyone will know, is a disaster for someone who has ginger hair. At Portsmouth he plays in blue which, for him, is much better. If only he had been given some counselling whilst at City, or a bottle of hair dye, things could have been so different.

I always liked the look of Taylor when he played. Think he probably needed a run of games, which never really happened for him here. He had all the attributes to be a good foil for someone like Baldock. Still relatively young, so will improve IMO. Good luck to the lad, wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the Chamionship in a few years.

I always liked the look of Taylor when he played. Think he probably needed a run of games, which never really happened for him here. He had all the attributes to be a good foil for someone like Baldock. Still relatively young, so will improve IMO. Good luck to the lad, wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the Chamionship in a few years.

Someone who scored around 5 goals a season will never ever make it to the championship

JET = 18 goals but is a lazy so and so we can do without

Baldock = 17 goals but can't score 1 on 1 and really is just not up to it

Ryan Taylor = 3 goals for Pompey and an absolute goal machine who was underated.

Does anyone else see the inbalance here ?

JET = 18 goals but is a lazy so and so we can do without

Baldock = 17 goals but can't score 1 on 1 and really is just not up to it

Ryan Taylor = 3 goals for Pompey and an absolute goal machine who was underated.

Does anyone else see the inbalance here ?

Going by their starts (so they properly affect the game), I'd love to see the win ratios for these three players as well. 

I remember him having a stormer for us once, it was either vs Palace or Cardiff one of the games where we scored 4. We'd just signed Baldock and Davies but the talk after that game was that they wouldnt get in the team if Taylor kept playing like that... Well yeah, we never saw anything like that again from him..

Archived