IGNORED

Bristol City Vs Sheffield Utd Match Thread

You Do The Dziekanowski

Of course it is, but it still gets up my nose when people judge a manager by his shouting and arm waving.

Does anyone though? People liked Steve because he seemed more upbeat than Sean. I can't recall anyone saying " I like his arm-waving". If we wanted that, we should've appointed Kilkenny player-manager!!!

Always a toughie, to come in when a season is well under way and try to change things. Steve's 2014 hasn't exactly inspired though. 

All isn't lost, but he needs to get all his powers of motivation at work. And rethink the midfield.

agreed - I hope he does sort things out - I just want us to be successful and to be honest I don't need to like the manager for that to happen.

I do feel the club needs to stick to it's plans though for future progression, and that includes telling the manager that he gets no overriding say in things outside of first team matters.

But would he have kept us up and built for the future? If we wanted a clown we could have signed George Ferguson.

Nope, not a chance.....the entire downbeat approach increased the problems already existing at the club. O Drosscoll did NOT create all the problems here. His negativity was one of the major issues.

Another on of the numerous problems would appear to be SC whose knuckle headed honesty and misplaced optimism got on an awful lot of city fans tits.... 

Wont disagree with that, but we keep changing managers with the same effect. Cotterills record is not bad...until he came here, like McInnes & O Drosscoll before him...

Of course it is, but it still gets up my nose when people judge a manager by his shouting and arm waving.

It might do, but inspiring the team regardless of method is key. And O Drosscoll absolutely failed in all aspects to motivate. It can be fairly argued that Cotterill, McInnes, Millen, Tinnion and in Johnson & Wilson's latter days they failed to motivate either. O Drosscolls entire demeanor failed to motivate, inspire or lead. The board should have taken action earlier.

Indeed the board needs to make damn sure they pick the right man.  and also to be fair the last three including Cotterill have had decent records prior to arriving here. Would Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes or Mourinho have got any better results? They would have been less negative at least...

@havanatopia, @29AR

I know it's tough being a city fan at the moment, but can't you see you're making the same mistake that we've made for the last 5 years (if not longer)?

By continually telling yourself that all this would've been avoided if only we'd appointed that manager or bought that player you're perpetutating the myth that just that one simple change will solve our problems. And all the evidence tells us this isn't true!

This is called cognitive bias and it's why people continually repeat the same course of action and expect a different result even though the evidence suggests that the outcome will be exactly the same.

The club is very low on confidence (not just on the field, look at the operations screw ups...) and is feeling unloved and lonely. What it needs is stability and a sense of self belief again.

The latter will come as soon as they put some results together but the former certainly won't if we sack another manager and reset again.

We'll never know, Aiz. My instinct is no, others think yes. Both positions are based on various assumptions.

The "should SOD have gone" argument is, as you've astutely observed, pointless. 

it really is so surprising ,considering the results and performances , that many people ,myself included,feel uncomfortable with the whole sacking of SOD and hiring of SC fiasco.

:dunno:

Personally I didn't like him. He just had no charm or likeability factor. It doesn't take much.

Well unfortunately it seems that people in the club went on their personal likes and dislikes too. If we took on todays equivalent to Brian Clough they would probably sack him for speaking his mind if it was criticism aimed at them. After all the most important talent for a manager is to be the kind of guy you could invite around for tea, isn't it?

on what do you base this on?

The fact there is still almost a quarter of the season to go and the fact we begin to play much more beatable teams.

April will see us secure safety. Look at the fixture list... Crucial clashes at home.

We are staying up. I'm confident of that.

@havanatopia, @29AR

I know it's tough being a city fan at the moment, but can't you see you're making the same mistake that we've made for the last 5 years (if not longer)?

By continually telling yourself that all this would've been avoided if only we'd appointed that manager or bought that player you're perpetutating the myth that just that one simple change will solve our problems. And all the evidence tells us this isn't true!

This is called cognitive bias and it's why people continually repeat the same course of action and expect a different result even though the evidence suggests that the outcome will be exactly the same.

The club is very low on confidence (not just on the field, look at the operations screw ups...) and is feeling unloved and lonely. What it needs is stability and a sense of self belief again.

The latter will come as soon as they put some results together but the former certainly won't if we sack another manager and reset again.

Agree with half of your post: we do need stability and chopping and changing is pointless. I said as much within this thread and spoken against removing Cotts as suggested, further back I spoke against removing DMc.

But my opinion is firmly entrenched that Warnock was our best chance at the time to stay up and not only that bought us time to stop the rot and bring in the best man for the job without having to make a snap decision or hire our only interviewee.

The fact there is still almost a quarter of the season to go and the fact we begin to play much more beatable teams.

April will see us secure safety. Look at the fixture list... Crucial clashes at home.

We are staying up. I'm confident of that.

well I really hope your right but if continue to play 4 center backs home and away I can't see where the improvement is going to come from.

if your right that wele be safe in April then we'll have to win about 7 of the next 8 games!!!

it really is so surprising ,considering the results and performances , that many people ,myself included,feel uncomfortable with the whole sacking of SOD and hiring of SC fiasco.

:dunno:

But the results were dire before. If you take a particular start and finish point you might argue that there'd been an upturn, but it was just as likely to be a false dawn. Our last feeble showing v SUFC could argue that way.

One thing's unarguable however, we're no better off at present than we were.

As SC isn't going anywhere this season, I'd rather talk about how he can improve the side's performance and get us some more wins.

Moloney back in would be my first move there.

But the results were dire before. If you take a particular start and finish point you might argue that there'd been an upturn, but it was just as likely to be a false dawn. Our last feeble showing v SUFC could argue that way.

One thing's unarguable however, we're no better off at present than we were.

As SC isn't going anywhere this season, I'd rather talk about how he can improve the side's performance and get us some more wins.

Moloney back in would be my first move there.

would be mine too, el abd on the bench and go back to the system he just sorted before the window opened.pearson can replace elliot and wes for waggy. leave barnett out too.wasnt there so cant criticise the bloke but the commentary today suggested his passing was poor

on a more upbeat note,we shouldnt really be burying our heads in the sand tonight,prior to orient,most of us agreed we were going nowhere up at brammall lane today,a lot had us down for a cert zero pointer

It's more the manner of the defeat we didn't turn up it was shockingly bad.

Archived