IGNORED

Keith Burt

Rob k

I'd like to know who was behind some of the recent signings.

I've only seen two games live this season plus the Rovers game on Sky, but from what I've seen I don't think either Flint or Pack is really good enough for this level. O'Driscoll made it pretty clear that Flint wasn't his signing, whilst Pack seemed to come on a trial and didn't go home.

To me, those signings seem less a product of effective scouting and more a case of "let's show how we're bigger than Swindon and Cheltenham by buying their best player". It's not the first time we've had our pants pulled down by local rivals (remember Matt Heywood and Grant Smith?)

Maybe they'll come good in time. Like I said, I've only seen them play three times, and I'm hardly a qualified scout (though I doubt there is such a thing so I probably am as qualified as some), but neither of these players looks to be a bargain to me. Indeed they appear quite the opposite, with City paying out large fees for fourth division players.

So did Burt sign these players? Or did O'Driscoll? Or did someone on the board do it thinking they were being clever?

Burt:

Wagstaff

Williams

Wynter

Flint (tho he was being scouted by City before Burt arrived)

El Abd

Osborne

SOD:

JET

Pack

Harewood

SC:

W Elliott (despite not scouting him)

Those are ones that I "know" of. If anyone thinks they know different, feel free to share...the two I'm unsure of and probably the biggest disaster has been Fielding and Parish. I would assume they were Burt too with the assistance of Kendall our former GK coach.

Burt:

Wagstaff

Williams

Wynter

Flint (tho he was being scouted by City before Burt arrived)

El Abd

Osborne

SOD:

JET

Pack

Harewood

SC:

W Elliott (despite not scouting him)

Those are ones that I "know" of. If anyone thinks they know different, feel free to share...the two I'm unsure of and probably the biggest disaster has been Fielding and Parish. I would assume they were Burt too with the assistance of Kendall our former GK coach.

The way this was sold to us was that the manager (head coach) would identify a requirement (say left back) and Burt would draw up a list. The Head Coach picks his first / second choices and Burt goes to the board to sort the money. Thus leaving the Head Coach to spend as much time as possible working with the players. On that basis Keith Burt shouldn't have the final say on anyone, he's the finder / negotiator.

It certainly doesn't seemed to have worked. We've signed completely inappropriate players for challenging in league 1 and the performances don't suggest the Head Coach / Manager have spent any more time with the players at all.

I'd like to know who was behind some of the recent signings.

I've only seen two games live this season plus the Rovers game on Sky, but from what I've seen I don't think either Flint or Pack is really good enough for this level. O'Driscoll made it pretty clear that Flint wasn't his signing, whilst Pack seemed to come on a trial and didn't go home.

To me, those signings seem less a product of effective scouting and more a case of "let's show how we're bigger than Swindon and Cheltenham by buying their best player". It's not the first time we've had our pants pulled down by local rivals (remember Matt Heywood and Grant Smith?)

Maybe they'll come good in time. Like I said, I've only seen them play three times, and I'm hardly a qualified scout (though I doubt there is such a thing so I probably am as qualified as some), but neither of these players looks to be a bargain to me. Indeed they appear quite the opposite, with City paying out large fees for fourth division players.

So did Burt sign these players? Or did O'Driscoll? Or did someone on the board do it thinking they were being clever?

Pack was only signed when Kelly got his injury.  No way would he have joined if Kelly had been fit.  Kelly looked like he would be the midfield mainstay and possibly captain.

Pack didn't cost too much and I think he's a decent League 1 player.  What we're looking is a Gary Shelton type next to him.  Someone with some bite, some goal threat and who makes things happen. 

If Kelly recovers well, I reckon him and Pack will make a very good League 1 midfield.  If we get relegated, I'd expect them both to get 10 goals next season and us to walk to the title.

Pack was only signed when Kelly got his injury.  No way would he have joined if Kelly had been fit.  Kelly looked like he would be the midfield mainstay and possibly captain.

Pack didn't cost too much and I think he's a decent League 1 player.  What we're looking is a Gary Shelton type next to him.  Someone with some bite, some goal threat and who makes things happen. 

If Kelly recovers well, I reckon him and Pack will make a very good League 1 midfield.  If we get relegated, I'd expect them both to get 10 goals next season and us to walk to the title.

Or they could both leave. We really don't want to get relegated to the bottom division.

I've never seen us walk to a title. I have seen us run a marathon for it, then hand it to someone else just before the finish line !

Archived