IGNORED

Keith Burt

Rob k

It's not his fault but he's no longer responsible for acquiring players, SC insisted on doing that as a condition of joining. Unfortunately that's meant we've slipped back into the bad old ways of getting players, ie signing them in a rush without due diligence, hence we've bought El-Abd based on what he was like a couple of years ago rather than what he's like now - slow, and we've given him a long contract. SC admitted he hadn't watched Wade Elliot before signing him. It's not Burt's fault he's not allowed to do what he was originally taken on for, we've panicked and chucked the long term strategy we had out of the window.

It's not his fault but he's no longer responsible for acquiring players, SC insisted on doing that as a condition of joining. Unfortunately that's meant we've slipped back into the bad old ways of getting players, ie signing them in a rush without due diligence, hence we've bought El-Abd based on what he was like a couple of years ago rather than what he's like now - slow, and we've given him a long contract. SC admitted he hadn't watched Wade Elliot before signing him. It's not Burt's fault he's not allowed to do what he was originally taken on for, we've panicked and chucked the long term strategy we had out of the window.

Has Cotterill actually said that or are people reading into his comment that "he likes to get involved in all aspects of the club"?

So why was he not shown the door with SOD?

because thankfully the youth teams / set up have not fallen under SC entirely and KB is still able to help - also when SC leaves (this year / next / 2 / 3 years - whenever) he will be able to get back on course - the idea of a DoF is continuity in the face of ever changing managers - if your sacking DoF all the time as well - then what the hell is the point of anything.

No, I believe we wanted El Abd but got Dunk instead.

I'm sure no-one who is in a managerial position would want players parachuted in without their say-so and I'm sure Sean would've had his input. What is slightly more perplexing is if SC is bypassing KB entirely. The guy's position would be untenable in that case, surely?

I await those sages who have bugs in the boardroom and can categorically state that so-and-so was this person's signing and so-and-so was that person's decision....

because thankfully the youth teams / set up have not fallen under SC entirely and KB is still able to help - also when SC leaves (this year / next / 2 / 3 years - whenever) he will be able to get back on course - the idea of a DoF is continuity in the face of ever changing managers - if your sacking DoF all the time as well - then what the hell is the point of anything.

But I'm not sure he is DOF anymore!!!!

As a responsible employer BCFC can't just sack people at will (if they did would get a bad reputation as well as being taken to court for unfair dismissal). Managers are only sacked after agreeing a payoff as they're usually on a fixed term deal.

I've read 2 reports, one describing him as director of football which I thought he was and another as lead scout and recruitment.

That's what a DOF is. They overlook the overall direction of the footballing side of the club - players recruitment/scouting falls into that.

However SOD said what he was here that himself and KB were never invited to any board meetings (which is really really strange).

Bristol City FC 2013-14 Club Officers

Owner: Tiberius in exile

Chairman: A Suit

Director of Football: The Invisible Man

Head Coach: Friend of A Suit

Owner's representative on Earth: The Milky Bar Kid

Head of Catering: Sweeney Todd

Head of Security: Chief Wiggum

Head of PR: David Brent

Head of Ticketing: Frank Spencer

A trouser press?

I don't really understand why he's labelled the invisible man (I realise yours was tongue in cheek Aizoon). He's the director of football, not media.

O'Driscoll wasn't head of media, and look at the stick he took for his interviews! Cotterill too, to be fair...

I'd like to know who was behind some of the recent signings.

I've only seen two games live this season plus the Rovers game on Sky, but from what I've seen I don't think either Flint or Pack is really good enough for this level. O'Driscoll made it pretty clear that Flint wasn't his signing, whilst Pack seemed to come on a trial and didn't go home.

To me, those signings seem less a product of effective scouting and more a case of "let's show how we're bigger than Swindon and Cheltenham by buying their best player". It's not the first time we've had our pants pulled down by local rivals (remember Matt Heywood and Grant Smith?)

Maybe they'll come good in time. Like I said, I've only seen them play three times, and I'm hardly a qualified scout (though I doubt there is such a thing so I probably am as qualified as some), but neither of these players looks to be a bargain to me. Indeed they appear quite the opposite, with City paying out large fees for fourth division players.

So did Burt sign these players? Or did O'Driscoll? Or did someone on the board do it thinking they were being clever?

I'd like to know who was behind some of the recent signings.

I've only seen two games live this season plus the Rovers game on Sky, but from what I've seen I don't think either Flint or Pack is really good enough for this level. O'Driscoll made it pretty clear that Flint wasn't his signing, whilst Pack seemed to come on a trial and didn't go home.

To me, those signings seem less a product of effective scouting and more a case of "let's show how we're bigger than Swindon and Cheltenham by buying their best player". It's not the first time we've had our pants pulled down by local rivals (remember Matt Heywood and Grant Smith?)

Maybe they'll come good in time. Like I said, I've only seen them play three times, and I'm hardly a qualified scout (though I doubt there is such a thing so I probably am as qualified as some), but neither of these players looks to be a bargain to me. Indeed they appear quite the opposite, with City paying out large fees for fourth division players.

So did Burt sign these players? Or did O'Driscoll? Or did someone on the board do it thinking they were being clever?

Totally agree with everything in here, I'd add that signing the likes of Pack and Flint was an attempt to stick to the 5 pillars strategy (signing U23's) without actually evaluating whether these players have the potential for long term development.

What happened to Sloppy Joe?

Archived