IGNORED

How Long Is It Now Since Jet Has Scored? - Sc, Find A Way To Get His Head Right

southvillekiddy

SC has got to find a way to get him re-motivated and pulling all the strings again.

Baffles me that at present our manager cannot find a way to revitalise the one piece of class and talent in our squad. If SC can do this it will be like making a great new signing

It dismays me that we seem to have a habit of hiring managers who are frightened of flair players.

If we are now in the situation of acknowledging we will not have a reliable defence this season with the players we have then we should give more attention to facilitating JET.

(Please don't start on saying JET is lazy - lets remember him running practically the length of the pitch to get one of the goals in his hatrick at Carlisle - how many aeons ago was that?)

Interesting point. I don't live in the UK, don't get to see a lot of City... what is the problem with JET at the mo?

Is it his "head"? Or is it the system SC is playing? SO'D always made a point of saying that we have to play to his strengths (and accept his weaknesses) - has SC stopped us doing that? 

i think jet thinks hes better than he really is, looks good in a poor team,

check his record out, one good game in his career against a sh*t Bristol city team and living off that,

we need a couple of baldocks at the moment who are prepared to die for the cause and run there hearts out,

wake up and smell the coffee, we are not premier league we are league 3, football is a team sport not an individual sport,

i think he is sulking because no one came in for him in the January window,

crazy as it sounds, i wish he had gone!! 

in our position we need to put teams away, and get some victories, jet is selfish and i think wants away 

check his record out, one good game in his career against a sh*t Bristol city team and living off that,

we need a couple of baldocks at the moment who are prepared to die for the cause and run there hearts out,

wake up and smell the coffee, we are not premier league we are league 3, football is a team sport not an individual sport,

in our position we need to put teams away, and get some victories, jet is selfish and i think wants away 

It is a team game mate but it's ignited by individual talent and the problem is  we are seriously short of time and have very few options. If we have to pamper JET a bit and that will save us, it's a realistic ploy. Surely a football manager should be capable of sublety

Remember how GJ always wanted David Noble to play in a different way, it seemed an unnatural way, to that other example of a flair player. Noble had his faults but was the bloke who scored the goals that took us up automatically and got us in the Play-off Final.

Jet's drop in form followed SC's appointment as manager. SOD reckoned he knew how to get the best out of Jet, and that was by giving him a free role. SC doesn't go for this idea and has played him as an out and out striker. This doesn't seem to suit him and the goals have dried up, as well as the assists. I'm not saying necessarily I agree with the free role idea but just observing what seems to be happening (or not happening!).

I dont get where all this "get guys in who can run all day" stuff has materialised from.

It wasnt very long ago when the tide was screaming to bin Pearson, taylor, kilkenny, johnson etc.

The only reason for getting rid of jet is to make people realise what a talent we had. He can do stuff no one else in the squad can. He is being played with one hand tied behind his back. Madness.

What the hell are you smoking the guy hasnt scored for a few weeks now and still has 17 goals to speak of, and 11 assists most of those for Bladock.  Take JET out you have instantly 17 less goals and the 11 assists for Baldock.

You wont change the player, he is at this level because he is an extremely lazy footballer.

Has all the talent in the world but not the character to go with it to make him a great player, he'll try again at some point, hopefully it will be before the end of the season.

Tommy Doherty, David Noble and Tony Dinning were very talented players but had a crap attitude to the game, JET is the same. He will slip further down the leagues if he doesn't get his act together. We can't afford to have a player on the field who will only turn up when he feels like it, no matter how good he can be.

I dont get where all this "get guys in who can run all day" stuff has materialised from.

It wasnt very long ago when the tide was screaming to bin Pearson, taylor, kilkenny, johnson etc.

The only reason for getting rid of jet is to make people realise what a talent we had. He can do stuff no one else in the squad can. He is being played with one hand tied behind his back. Madness.

He's done (relatively speaking) bugger all for the last six weeks. We are starting games a man short.

Yeah lets drop JET and replace him with..... Ah we don't have anyone who has any sort of ability as backup up front

January could of potentially sent us down. We needed two strikers another (pacey striker, Target man) and a ball winning centre mid.

Who do the geniuses at Bristol City FC sign? An unneeded Centre Back and another lightweight centre mid!! :grr::gaah:

JET's track record isnt great anywhere over the long term. Did we swap him with Anderson from Ipswich. They got the better deal....a luxury the struggling team cant afford to indulge. Score goals or warm the bench, based on what I have seen of him. Others may have seen him play better, but he has not impressed in games Ive seen him play.

Jet's drop in form followed SC's appointment as manager. SOD reckoned he knew how to get the best out of Jet, and that was by giving him a free role. SC doesn't go for this idea and has played him as an out and out striker. This doesn't seem to suit him and the goals have dried up, as well as the assists. I'm not saying necessarily I agree with the free role idea but just observing what seems to be happening (or not happening!).

He scored some after Cotterill arrived, which knocks on the head the idea that he is in mourning for O'Driscoll I think, but, yes, I agree, he can only be played in a free role. At least as things stand at present.

Sadly JET's decline in form post O'Driscoll was almost as predictable as it has been disappointing.

In fairness to Cotterill when he came in and got JET playing much closer to Baldock, JET was still managing to still regularly effect the game as well as giving Baldock some company, instead of the isolated figure he looked under SO'D's management. From the Notts County game through to the MK Dons game at home JET put quite a few chances on a plate for Baldock, and he really should have scored more than he did in that run of games, as well as scoring 3 himself. Since then however, JET really has done next to nothing.

If my maths are correct JET has scored 19 in 38 games when managed by O'Driscoll while scoring a quite measly 16 in 136 when not. Quite alarming.

For JET's sake (he is too talented to spend his career following SO'D around the lower leagues) and ours if we don't want to be travelling to The Memorial Ground next season we need to get him into some form between now and the end of the season.

At the same time even JET back to his best doesn't manage to address the many issues further back in the team.

JET's track record isnt great anywhere over the long term. Did we swap him with Anderson from Ipswich. They got the better deal....a luxury the struggling team cant afford to indulge. Score goals or warm the bench, based on what I have seen of him. Others may have seen him play better, but he has not impressed in games Ive seen him play.

What a load of tosh.  12 league goals for a side in the bottom four is not a luxury. It's a necessity.

If our new manager had the wit to get the best out of him we'd be safe by now

I think he's bored of this season. It hasn't panned out the way he thought it would when he linked up with SoD last summer. He knows we aren't going up, and he also knows if we go down he's not staying (much the same as the JJ o'Toole interview). He's just treading water as so many of them did last season.

I did see a few comments about him playing better at Orient. Maybe he missing his London 'Boyz' as he seems influenced by them. Maybe we should ship them in for a few games!

JET, if you are reading this and I got you all wrong I am happy to apologise if you can prove otherwise. Down to you big fella...

JET, I believe I am right in saying, has said he has played his best football under SO'D.. think the stats will bear that out. So I say why not bring SO'D back as a consultant to man manage only JET. It might just get us out of the mire.. just kidding..

..What a non-starter, ridiculous notion. Funny thing is its no worse that asking Colin to come in and keep us up alongside Cotts is it? Or any other possible remedy that Cotts himself is attempting.

Football is a funny old game where emotion plays a significant part; get a player into a groove of happiness and he will be transformed. Change that dynamic as Cotts, by definition of being a different person alone, has of course done and you rip up the rule book of JET being where he wanted to be.

At the end of the season we may just be asking ourselves the following question:- Had JET's goal scoring not tailed off in the second half would we have stayed up or, would we have escaped earlier?? The answer surely will be an emphatic yes not tempered by the fact that Sam has started to score a few more and others, such as Barnett, trumpeted with some fanfare, have also got on the score sheet. 

And while on the subject of Barnett.. how many as he scored in how many games? 1 in about 7? .. thats a guess. Naturally SC has stuck with JET which is of course the logical and sensible thing to do and only gradually has Barnett come into use but he has not exactly hit the ground running.

Get JET his mojo back and we will stay up of that I am sure. Big question is will SC be able to do so? I fear it will only be lady luck that does.

You wont change the player, he is at this level because he is an extremely lazy footballer.

Has all the talent in the world but not the character to go with it to make him a great player, he'll try again at some point, hopefully it will be before the end of the season.

Tommy Doherty, David Noble and Tony Dinning were very talented players but had a crap attitude to the game, JET is the same. He will slip further down the leagues if he doesn't get his act together. We can't afford to have a player on the field who will only turn up when he feels like it, no matter how good he can be.

This is bollocks.  I bet he covers more ground than that lummox Barnett.  I'd love to see the Carling Opta stats.  IMHO he has an excellent attitude to the game.  Hardly any moaning despite playing with a load of players much worse than him.  As someone who is over 6 foot and well built, I know it is a lot harder to run around when you are carrying some serious timber than it is for someone who is 5 foot 6 and 9 stone

Give the man a break - how many points has JET cost us this season?

I agree about the bit I've highlighted.  Can we drop, El Abd, Barnett, Flint, Fontaine, Wade Elliott?  They only play well when they feel like it and it's not enough.  

I can put up with his lazy ness, what I don't like is he can't do simple. I know he can head a ball when defending a corner but every time it comes forward he either tries to backward header it or chest it. He's looking for the long raking pass when the shorter option is better suited.

Whilst he tries these fancy flicks if it works great, but 90% it doesn't (I know he's had 11 assist and 18 goals) but watch his play he's looking for glory and I'm sorry but he's looking for the glory for himself not the team.

I would carry on playing him but teach him sometimes simple is the best way,

This is bollocks.  I bet he covers more ground than that lummox Barnett.  I'd love to see the Carling Opta stats.  

Barnett is a lazy player too, you wont get an argument against that from me.

IMHO he has an excellent attitude to the game.  Hardly any moaning despite playing with a load of players much worse than him.  

Most don't have his ability in this league or the one above, that's not in question, his workrate and attitude towards the game is poor, that's why he is in League 1. If he did have the right attitude why is it that he has had so many clubs for someone so young? Why would Ipswich bomb him out if he had the right attitude with his unquestionable talent? Every club he has been at they all say the same thing, fantastic talent but lacks the application to do it long term.

As someone who is over 6 foot and well built, I know it is a lot harder to run around when you are carrying some serious timber than it is for someone who is 5 foot 6 and 9 stone

There are many big boys in the army that manage to be extremely fit who run up and down hills over many miles with kit on, if you want to get fit, you need to work at it.

Give the man a break - how many points has JET cost us this season?

He played very well to begin with, our defence have let the club down more than our attack. It's still a valid argument though, that he has been anonymous for weeks, you can have both arguments and both are true.

I agree about the bit I've highlighted.  Can we drop, El Abd, Barnett, Flint, Fontaine, Wade Elliott?  They only play well when they feel like it and it's not enough.  

I wouldn't play El Abd or Flint, my pairing would be Osbourne Williams, quicker smarter players with Maloney and Cunningham either side of them, but Cotterill has dropped a bollock by leaving Maloney out for too long. Not seen enough of Wade Elliott to have any real opinion of him, Barnett again is a bit of an unknown due to lack of games but the bits I have seen he looks lethargic. Fontaine is out of the picture completely I assume.

There's this line in a film called 'White Men Cant Jump'. Woody Harelson's character tells Snipe's character, "You'd rather lose and look good than win and look bad" (referring to the character's appearance, when working hard enough for the team to earn a victory).

Personally i think JET has been worth his time on the pitch given his goals and assists.. but when they dry up we are playing with 10 men.. and it's the manager's responsibility to deal with this situation.

Archived