IGNORED

Can Engand Still Host 2018 World Cup?

tunnie123

With all that's is happening with Russia at the moment and the news just reporting they may be expelled from this years World Cup. I assume they may have the 2018 World Cup taken off them to which surely would leave us the most capable country to host it?

I would be surprised. They did exactly the same in 2008 and most people flapping over this probably don't remember it. Tomorrows fish wrapping and all that.

Realistically if England did get 2018 it would be a shadow of what we could of delivered, and for that reason alone I wouldn't want it.

We must be the only nation that could hold such a tournament with minimal notice. We could do this summers if need be!

Eh? Why would we be the only nation?

Plenty of countries in Europe and around the world could host a tournament at short notice.

Eh? Why would we be the only nation?

Plenty of countries in Europe and around the world could host a tournament at short notice.

I'm not sure about that to be honest once you get out of the top few teams in most countries the stadium capacity is quite low. Also our transport system as much as people complain is one of the best in the world. Plus we have just hosted the Olympics which clearly shows we could handle the amount of tourists coming to the country.

I'm not sure about that to be honest once you get out of the top few teams in most countries the stadium capacity is quite low. Also our transport system as much as people complain is one of the best in the world. Plus we have just hosted the Olympics which clearly shows we could handle the amount of tourists coming to the country.

The Olympics would be a big card to play IF anything would happen.

:shifty:

Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Twickenham, Old Trafford, St James', Stadium Of Light, Anfield, Villa Park and Ashton Gate 

To hold a World Cup you must have 12 stadiums that can hold 40,000 people or more

Currently England does not fit this criteria. Countries like Germany and the USA do. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

Not saying England couldn't do it...its just we wouldn't be the only option by a long shot.

To hold a World Cup you must have 12 stadiums that can hold 40,000 people or more

Currently England does not fit this criteria. Countries like Germany and the USA do. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

Not saying England couldn't do it...its just we wouldn't be the only option by a long shot.

Wembley, Twickenham, Olympic Stadium,Old Trafford, Emirates Stadium, St James' Park, Stadium of Light, Etihad Stadium, Anfield, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park all hold at least 40,000 people. If we are not aloud many venues in London then we could co-host it wil Scotland and/or Wales. Then we could have the Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield and Celtic Park.

England does have 12

Wembley 

Twickenham

Olympic Stadium

Old Trafford

Emirates

Anfield

Goodison

Stamford Bridge

St James' 

Stadium Of Light

Etihad

Villa Park

(If the UK were to host it, hint hint Scotland, you add)

Millenium Stadium

Murray Field

Celtic Park

Ibrox 

Hampden Park

15 stadiums in 9 cities is okay right?

Wembley, Twickenham, Olympic Stadium,Old Trafford, Emirates Stadium, St James' Park, Stadium of Light, Etihad Stadium, Anfield, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park all hold at least 40,000 people. If we are not aloud many venues in London then we could co-host it wil Scotland and/or Wales. Then we could have the Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield and Celtic Park.

Beat me to it

Wembley, Olympic stadium, old Trafford, emirates, Etihad, Hillsborough? Elland Road? st james, sunderland, villa, anfield, Stamford bridge, goodison park, white hart lane (38 thousand). So that's 14 stadiums of the top of my head without including Twickenham that hold over 40k (near enough) we could put on a world cup no probs. A lot of world cups have stadiums that are smaller than that anyway!

Wembley, Olympic stadium, old Trafford, emirates, Etihad, Hillsborough? Elland Road? st james, sunderland, villa, anfield, Stamford bridge, goodison park, white hart lane (38 thousand). So that's 14 stadiums of the top of my head without including Twickenham that hold over 40k (near enough) we could put on a world cup no probs. A lot of world cups have stadiums that are smaller than that anyway!

Not since '98

England does have 12

Wembley 

Twickenham

Olympic Stadium

Old Trafford

Emirates

Anfield

Goodison

Stamford Bridge

St James' 

Stadium Of Light

Etihad

Villa Park

Millenium Stadium

Murray Field

Celtic Park

Ibrox 

Hampden Park

You've missed out the all new UWE, which can be doubled in height to accommodate 40,000 when the gas are in the Prem (according to a deluded a blue I know)!

Pretty sure that the world cup in 2010 only had 10 stadiums.

Also convinced there was a stadium that was short of 40,000- Only by a couple of thousand or so but still not 40,000.

Having said that my memory isn't what it once was and I can't be bothered to check, so I might be wrong......

Pretty sure that the world cup in 2010 only had 10 stadiums.

Also convinced there was a stadium that was short of 40,000- Only by a couple of thousand or so but still not 40,000.

Having said that my memory isn't what it once was and I can't be bothered to check, so I might be wrong......

There was one but they temporarily took it above 40k

England does have 12

Wembley 

Twickenham

Olympic Stadium

Old Trafford

Emirates

Anfield

Goodison

Stamford Bridge

St James' 

Stadium Of Light

Etihad

Villa Park

Millenium Stadium

Murray Field

Celtic Park

Ibrox 

Hampden Park

You'd want more of a geographical split than that.

As Bristol is the biggest city in the West Country it would be an ideal incentive for the government to abolish TVG legislation, reverse existing decisions re sports stadia and rush through a nice modern AV stadium.

Not that any of this will happen of course :-)

Archived