IGNORED

Dressing Up

sglosbcfc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2573629/Toni-Duggan-sparks-outrage-blacking-face-fancy-dress-party.html

This seems like PC madness, is she supposed to be a white Whoopi Goldberg or are we simply saying that no white person can dress up as a black person and vis versa. I'd better take my son's JET City shirt back in case he is accused of racism. Good to see that Kick it Out think it is a non issue, but it is a shame she felt the need to apologise.

Skin colour should be no different to hair colour or eye colour. If this is offensive everyone who dyes their hair is in some way a racist and cameras that make your eyes red are really racist. Calling racism is fine, but calling it where it isn't there is just wrong. 

Are you for real?  In what way does a choice of hair colour link directly to race?

The whole point here is that 'blacking up' is an offensive tradition (check out the history of minstrel shows, or DW Griffiths film 'Birth of a Nation') which has long been accepted as unacceptable.  Anyone who does it is bound to be treading a fine line...

Are you for real?  In what way does a choice of hair colour link directly to race?

The whole point here is that 'blacking up' is an offensive tradition (check out the history of minstrel shows, or DW Griffiths film 'Birth of a Nation') which has long been accepted as unacceptable.  Anyone who does it is bound to be treading a fine line...

This isn't the 19th century or indeed 1915. There are no longer laws against certain races. My point is that why should skin colour be any different to hair colour. Why should skin colour be any different to eye colour? No human is the same colour as another, is fake tan racist? 

Are you for real? In what way does a choice of hair colour link directly to race?

The whole point here is that 'blacking up' is an offensive tradition (check out the history of minstrel shows, or DW Griffiths film 'Birth of a Nation') which has long been accepted as unacceptable. Anyone who does it is bound to be treading a fine line...

"Blacking up "was started by the Hollywood star ,Al Jolson for his leading role in the 1920's film The Jazz Singer .

It was his way of being able to sing incognito in the jazz clubs for fear that his father ,a strict rabbi , would find out.

Many jazz musicians were black so not so stupid or rascist as it seems.

If his ambition was to be a pole dancer against his Father's will and he had dressed up as a woman would that make him sexist ?

"Blacking up "was started by the Hollywood star ,Al Jolson for his leading role in the 1920's film The Jazz Singer .

It was his way of being able to sing incognito in the jazz clubs for fear that his father ,a strict rabbi , would find out.

Utter rubbish.  Blacking up (or 'blackface') goes way back at least to the first half of the 19th (sic) century.  'Birth of a Nation' which featured black-faced white actors (because no black actors would touch it) was in 1915.    In The Jazz SInger, the main character is trying to integrate with then mass American culture by adopting black face, so this is a commentary on the difficulties of Jewish integration in American society at the time.  Nothing to do with trying to fool his dad! 

This isn't the 19th century or indeed 1915. There are no longer laws against certain races. My point is that why should skin colour be any different to hair colour. Why should skin colour be any different to eye colour? No human is the same colour as another, is fake tan racist? 

Aarrgghh no!! Surely not the "Why isn't fake tan racist?" argument!!! 

Erm, have you ever known anyone to be discriminated against because of the colour of their eyes?

Erm, have you ever known anyone to be discriminated against because of the colour of their eyes?

So I can never go facy dress as a black person? Pahahahaha.  Crazy world eh. 

This whole PC malarkey just gets right on my wick. Over the years I have worked with many people of different race and nationality. They would take the Michael out of us "white boys" as much as we would them. It was always good natured banter and if anything brought us closer together.

Ok, there are occasions when someone might overstep the mark but there are also times when people are just having a bit of very harmless fun.

This walking on egg shells we do these days is just plain stupid

Utter rubbish. Blacking up (or 'blackface') goes way back at least to the first half of the 19th (sic) century. 'Birth of a Nation' which featured black-faced white actors (because no black actors would touch it) was in 1915. In The Jazz SInger, the main character is trying to integrate with then mass American culture by adopting black face, so this is a commentary on the difficulties of Jewish integration in American society at the time. Nothing to do with trying to fool his dad!

On another level you are right.

You are no son of mine ...

Rips City top and storms off .

Getting back to my original post, is she not allowed to dress up as Whoopi Goldberg for a party? Should she apologise for making herself look more like Whoopi?

If we had a forum City party and we all had to come dressed as our favourite City player am I limited to the ones that are 'White British'?

I would like to point out that my generally political views are left of centre and I don't have an agenda, i just feel sorry for this girl.

Next they'll be arresting people wearing ginger wigs and tartan hats. Absolutely barmy.

I agree. Anyone who wears a ginger wig and tartan hat is absolutely barmy :) .

Trivial I know, but true. Putting something on your skin to appear of a different skin tone is the same thing. I appreciate that no one has ever been discriminated against on eye colour but please answer the question: Should we treat skin colour any differently to hair or eye colour? Ideally we should not, but we do treat it differently because people, on both sides of the race argument make it an issue.   

Last Halloween, I dressed up as a suicide bomber, why? Because the amount of poo I received for growing a beard "oh look, grown a beard, must be a suicide bomber" so Halloween I thought fork it, I did it not to be offensive, but to poke fun of the people who poked fun of me and they were the only people who got offended, no one else cared, now was I in the wrong or them?

Last Halloween, I dressed up as a suicide bomber, why? Because the amount of poo I received for growing a beard "oh look, grown a beard, must be a suicide bomber" so Halloween I thought fork it, I did it not to be offensive, but to poke fun of the people who poked fun of me and they were the only people who got offended, no one else cared, now was I in the wrong or them?

They were.  It's ok for them to make a joke of you but you cannot respond ?  Planks the lot of them

To me it obviously depends on the context of the "racism". If it's meant to be offensive or derogatory, then undoubtedly it's racism. If it's meant in jest or fun then how the hell can it be racist?

Can't we laugh at ourselves anymore!?

(Of course we could just pick a race or colour and exterminate anyone who doesn't conform to save all this crap..........................oh yeh, someones already tried that! )

Archived