IGNORED

Thoughts On Today..

Who Are Rovers?

Was a lot to take in, and very up and down, but delighted to come away with a win.

JET's goal quality, keeper got a hand to it, but he hit it with such power, really no chance. Baldock went through on the right, after a slip from there left back, squared it, and the ball ended up in the back of the net, if there player wouldn't of put it in, Pearson would of. And the last one, Bryan rose like a salmon at the back post, the ball looked to be cleared off the line, but the referee awarded a goal, I could not see as I was at the other end.

They only had two chances in the game, and took them both. First goal, I couldn't believe what I seen. Their CB ran from the half way line, to the edge of our box, without anyone within 5 yards off him, and was just gifted a shot. The second, was very poor marking, and frustrating to watch, a ball across the box, and nodded in. 3 unmarked in there, once again, poor.

I thought we showed great fight and character today, but still have the same problems that we have had all season at the back. Shrewsbury had only scored two in there last eight home games, so the fact they scored two goals is slightly concerning. You could say 'They only had two chances,' but we have been dominating games all season, and it only takes one mistake and they score, and that has been the story of our season.

There were a few standouts for me today, Wade Elliot was superb, JET seems to back in form judging on the last two games, and Bryan was absolutely superb.

Ratings:

Fielding: 7 - Had no chance for either of the goals, and make one superb block on a ball that came in, that looked a certain goal.

Moloney: 7 - Got skinned a few times, but made no mistakes, and was fairly solid. His final ball into the box wasn't great, and he looked knackered by 60 minutes. Ran his socks off though.

El Abd: 6 - Lost his man on the second goal, and was quite sketchy on the ball. He's very slow as well, got out paced a few to many times. He looks a lot better in a back 4, rather than back 3.

Williams: 8 - Thought Derek was the best of our defenders today, looked tidy at the back, was good on the overlap, final ball was generally good, and was our best defender today.

Gillett: 8 - Getting better by the week this lad. Looks great playing deeper, passing is generally tidy, and does the dirty work. Protected the back line well, bar one exception when he let there CB get the shot off, but generally progressing very nicely.

W Elliot: 9 - Like Gillett, getting better by the week. Was superb today, tackling good, passing spot on, and was dominant in midfield. Big well done to Wade today, proved many doubters wrong.

Pearson: 8 - Again, like last week, first half very good, but understandably tired as the game went on. Very happy to see Pearson back though, and has been key factors in the last two wins. Also heavily involved in the second goal, almost forced the Own Goal, or he would of bagged one himself.

Bryan: 9 - Wasn't sure what to thing when I seen him in the starting lineup, as I have been saying for the last few weeks that he has faded away since that Rovers game, but wow did he prove me wrong. Was superb in the air, rose like a salmon for his goal, was a constant threat on the left side, linked up well with JET, and was brilliant today. Well done Joe.

Baldock: 8 - A typical Baldock performance today. Ran his socks off yet again, was involved in everything, created the second goal, and gave another good performance.

JET: 9 - Looks like we have found the old JET again, judging on the last two performances. Bare in mind, Shrewsbury gave him all the time in the world on the ball, but he punished them. Had some great runs, had a few chances, scored a great goal, held the ball up well, and his all round game was very good. Would love to see him match fit though, as he still looks a few yards off the pace at times.

Was a lot to take in, and very up and down, but delighted to come away with a win.

JET's goal quality, keeper got a hand to it, but he hit it with such power, really no chance. Baldock went through on the right, after a slip from there left back, squared it, and the ball ended up in the back of the net, if there player wouldn't of put it in, Pearson would of. And the last one, Bryan rose like a salmon at the back post, the ball looked to be cleared off the line, but the referee awarded a goal, I could not see as I was at the other end.

They only had two chances in the game, and took them both. First goal, I couldn't believe what I seen. Their CB ran from the half way line, to the edge of our box, without anyone within 5 yards off him, and was just gifted a shot. The second, was very poor marking, and frustrating to watch, a ball across the box, and nodded in. 3 unmarked in there, once again, poor.

I thought we showed great fight and character today, but still have the same problems that we have had all season at the back. Shrewsbury had only scored two in there last eight home games, so the fact they scored two goals is slightly concerning. You could say 'They only had two chances,' but we have been dominating games all season, and it only takes one mistake and they score, and that has been the story of our season.

There were a few standouts for me today, Wade Elliot was superb, JET seems to back in form judging on the last two games, and Bryan was absolutely superb.

Ratings:

Fielding: 7 - Had no chance for either of the goals, and make one superb block on a ball that came in, that looked a certain goal.

Moloney: 7 - Got skinned a few times, but made no mistakes, and was fairly solid. His final ball into the box wasn't great, and he looked knackered by 60 minutes. Ran his socks off though.

El Abd: 6 - Lost his man on the second goal, and was quite sketchy on the ball. He's very slow as well, got out paced a few to many times. He looks a lot better in a back 4, rather than back 3.

Williams: 8 - Thought Derek was the best of our defenders today, looked tidy at the back, was good on the overlap, final ball was generally good, and was our best defender today.

Gillett: 8 - Getting better by the week this lad. Looks great playing deeper, passing is generally tidy, and does the dirty work. Protected the back line well, bar one exception when he let there CB get the shot off, but generally progressing very nicely.

W Elliot: 9 - Like Gillett, getting better by the week. Was superb today, tackling good, passing spot on, and was dominant in midfield. Big well done to Wade today, proved many doubters wrong.

Pearson: 8 - Again, like last week, first half very good, but understandably tired as the game went on. Very happy to see Pearson back though, and has been key factors in the last two wins. Also heavily involved in the second goal, almost forced the Own Goal, or he would of bagged one himself.

Bryan: 9 - Wasn't sure what to thing when I seen him in the starting lineup, as I have been saying for the last few weeks that he has faded away since that Rovers game, but wow did he prove me wrong. Was superb in the air, rose like a salmon for his goal, was a constant threat on the left side, linked up well with JET, and was brilliant today. Well done Joe.

Baldock: 8 - A typical Baldock performance today. Ran his socks off yet again, was involved in everything, created the second goal, and gave another good performance.

JET: 9 - Looks like we have found the old JET again, judging on the last two performances. Bare in mind, Shrewsbury gave him all the time in the world on the ball, but he punished them. Had some great runs, had a few chances, scored a great goal, held the ball up well, and his all round game was very good. Would love to see him match fit though, as he still looks a few yards off the pace at times.

Have to ask about Flint?

I wasn't there but am interested to see some others' ratings.

From afar we conceeded 2 and it seems El Abd has had a bit of a docking in respect of the second goal, but the midfield scored 8's and above notwithstanding the agreed that a centre half seemingly walked through it to score their first.

I wasn't there but am interested to see some others' ratings.

From afar we conceeded 2 and it seems El Abd has had a bit of a docking in respect of the second goal, but the midfield scored 8's and above notwithstanding the agreed that a centre half seemingly walked through it to score their first.

Our 3 centre mids were outstanding today, Wade Elliot in particular was immense. Their first was a fantastic strike tbf but was the only thing our midfielders did wrong all game was allowing him to travel that far

Might be proved wrong but i thought it was Pearson who got skinned for their goal causing El-Abd to need to come across to close the fella crossing it in?

I also dont think it was a free header, rather he beat Flint and Williams to it?

Thats my recollection?

Our 3 centre mids were outstanding today, Wade Elliot in particular was immense. Their first was a fantastic strike tbf but was the only thing our midfielders did wrong all game was allowing him to travel that far

That's cool - like I say I wasn't there, but from reports I was musing whether El Abd was perhaps harshly done by given the analysis was that they scored their only two chances... Perhaps not and that was to do with the midfield and not the defence and/or El Abd - with the obvious exception.

Team played well today, lots of battling quality shown and seemed like they were determined today.

My mom would of been gillett with Elliott close second, Pearson and flint were also good.

Dissapointed in el abd, Gave away some silly free kicks and his communication with keeper was rubbish,

Fielding 7 looked steady and collected a few crosses.

Moloney 7 good defending and tried to help attack.

Flint 8 won everything in air and looked accomplished.

El Abd 6 panic me at times and gave ball away

Williams 7 steady

Gillett 9 battled and often bring

Elliott w. 8 everywhere

Pearson 8 every dg

Baldock 7 ran his heart and linked play well

Jet 7.5 great goal but looked lost sometimes

Bryan 6.5 looked lost at times and never cut inside enough to join attack

Might be proved wrong but i thought it was Pearson who got skinned for their goal causing El-Abd to need to come across to close the fella crossing it in?

I also dont think it was a free header, rather he beat Flint and Williams to it?

Thanks for the truth. How the bbc Bristol commentator Can't say that is beyond me. The summarisor is just a joke. If you want a true report then listen to people on this forum who were there.

Team played well today, lots of battling quality shown and seemed like they were determined today.

My mom would of been gillett with Elliott close second, Pearson and flint were also good.

Dissapointed in el abd, Gave away some silly free kicks and his communication with keeper was rubbish,

Fielding 7 looked steady and collected a few crosses.

Moloney 7 good defending and tried to help attack.

Flint 8 won everything in air and looked accomplished.

El Abd 6 panic me at times and gave ball away

Williams 7 steady

Gillett 9 battled and often bring

Elliott w. 8 everywhere

Pearson 8 every dg

Baldock 7 ran his heart and linked play well

Jet 7.5 great goal but looked lost sometimes

Bryan 6.5 looked lost at times and never cut inside enough to join attack

Bryan was superb, JET went missing for phases yes, but we seen many glimpses of form coming back, Flint wasn't close to the standard of our standout players today either. 

I thought Bryan was average, if he was suppose to be playing same role as Baldock then not once did he appear in the box or centre of goal unlike Baldock. Most of Shrewsbury attacks were down our left there right where he was suppose to be.

Williams pulled one back to him in the first half, and his goal bound shot has blocked.

He was great in the air yesterday, won the ball back numerous times, and scored a good goal.

Fielding 6 - shouldn't get beaten from 35-40 yards. Always worries me but did ok.

Maloney 7 - defended well and linked well with midfield and Baldock

Flint 7 - one of his better games, solid enough, a few hopeless balls stopped it from being an 8.

El-Abd 5 - should have let the ball roll out before throw in for 2nd goal. Generally very shaky. Gave silly needless freekicks away in closing minutes

Williams 7 - had a fair bit of work 2nd half and coped well, also linked well with midfield and JET.

W. Elliott 8 - composed, creative, comfortable on the ball. Seems to have found his legs, kept the ball well under pressure.

Gillett 9 - non stop, a real battler, tenacious performance, kept the ball well, deserved to be on the winning side, links well with Pearson and W.Elliott, won headers against midfielders a foot taller than him.

Pearson 8 - kept it simple, worked hard. Got beyond the strikers, linked well and helped out defensively, missed him when Pack replaced him.

Baldock 9 - ran his socks off and kept composure for 2nd goal

JET 8 - typical JET performance, unbelievable goal, lack of effort and frustration at other times, a touch of class on the ball though and linked well - won a fair few headers!

Bryan 6 - was largely ineffective, looked vulnerable defending and offered little going forward, until the goal which was an excellent leap! He will play better games, he's a better player than he showed today.

A decent performance and deserved win but we missed Pearsons energy when Pack game on. We were completely in control first half.

Defence : Fielding did ok  , looking better.

the rest did ok but jittery at times , Flint think he's Beckenbauer  too many lumps up to the big men Baldock and Bryan ???

El Abd worries me , bites in the challenge but give away free kicks in dangerous positions. Probably defended a bit deep as the game went on.

Mid field : All played pretty well  , Pearson needs a bit more time , Elliot is always available which is a big step forward. Still big gaps at times not sure what's missing as everyone  does ok but they don't  really dominate ( like they did against Gillingham first half last week).  

Front 3 ish : Baldock does a good job closing down, feeding on scraps where as Bryan didn't really seem to get to grips with the role. Did OK and won headers but didn't get involved enough for me , good goal though. JET.......  wandered around , beat a player every now and then miss placed  passes and lost possession a fair bit...... but what a strike. 

I think we have the players/squad for a decent team and to push on , how they gel together in what formation and who makes up the starting 11 better men than me have struggled with.

He was great in the air yesterday, won the ball back numerous times, and scored a good goal.

The thing was  with JET playing the centre role no one got onto any of the knock downs when Bryan won headers , it seemed to be a ploy (and it may have worked) but pointless if he wins a header only for it to role out/to the keeper/to a defender.

One thing that hasn't been said here was the defense's reluctance to kick the ball back fielding especially El-Abd when it was the easy option instead putting us under more pressure by either trying to play it off his man or out straight for a throw in. Did anyone else notice several of these? Is it a confidence thing for fielding? Instructions not to?

One thing that hasn't been said here was the defense's reluctance to kick the ball back fielding especially El-Abd when it was the easy option instead putting us under more pressure by either trying to play it off his man or out straight for a throw in. Did anyone else notice several of these? Is it a confidence thing for fielding? Instructions not to?

Yeah probably a safety first thing. I don't trust El-Abd to pass it back well or Fielding to clear it so probably the right thing.

I thought Bryan barely impacted upon the game at all - well, apart from the small matter of scoring the winner!

What game were you watching then? He won EVERY header in the first half, tracked back really well and gave everything. He tailed off towards the end of the second half, maybe due to not playing much first team action lately, but the lad was class yesterday.

This is my first opportunity to post since yesterday, I thought everyone played well, el abd still looks too slow and suspect for me though, and we should have closed their cb down for the first goal. Pearson adds energy to the midfield, was at fault for the second goal though. We bossed the first half and should have been a couple of goals up at half time, the equaliser gave them confidence and they came at us second half, but we were really 'ruthless' (Cotts will be pleased) infront of goal.

A special mention for Emanuel Thomas, who showed exactly what he is about yesterday, at times he took on about 5 players and came out with the ball. Showed why he SHOULD be playing at a higher level, for him he just needs more consistency. Wonderful goal and a constant threat, people were still shouting at him for not 'running around', I do wonder about some of our fans iqs sometimes.

All in all it was a quality day topped off with a decent attacking performance, funniest moment of the day goes to the lady in the next block who at 2-2 was shouting BRING ON FONTAINE- possibly the worst shout I've ever heard at a football match, especially as he wasn't even on the bench!

One thing that hasn't been said here was the defense's reluctance to kick the ball back fielding especially El-Abd when it was the easy option instead putting us under more pressure by either trying to play it off his man or out straight for a throw in. Did anyone else notice several of these? Is it a confidence thing for fielding? Instructions not to?

Probably worried about being booed by brain dead morons.

What game were you watching then? He won EVERY header in the first half, tracked back really well and gave everything. He tailed off towards the end of the second half, maybe due to not playing much first team action lately, but the lad was class yesterday.

This is my first opportunity to post since yesterday, I thought everyone played well, el abd still looks too slow and suspect for me though, and we should have closed their cb down for the first goal. Pearson adds energy to the midfield, was at fault for the second goal though. We bossed the first half and should have been a couple of goals up at half time, the equaliser gave them confidence and they came at us second half, but we were really 'ruthless' (Cotts will be pleased) infront of goal.

A special mention for Emanuel Thomas, who showed exactly what he is about yesterday, at times he took on about 5 players and came out with the ball. Showed why he SHOULD be playing at a higher level, for him he just needs more consistency. Wonderful goal and a constant threat, people were still shouting at him for not 'running around', I do wonder about some of our fans iqs sometimes.

All in all it was a quality day topped off with a decent attacking performance, funniest moment of the day goes to the lady in the next block who at 2-2 was shouting BRING ON FONTAINE- possibly the worst shout I've ever heard at a football match, especially as he wasn't even on the bench!

I think the comment was tongue in cheek

Comedy award goes to Fielding at the final whistle, putting his shirt over his head, doing a dance then started screaming "come on" numerous times at a random bloke at the front! What a hero

He had his head over his shirt every time a ball goes into the box it seems, he's completely lost

I think the comment was tongue in cheek

It really wasn't! Don't get me wrong, I like Bryan, and he didn't have a bad game, but I genuinely didn't notice him making much of an impact whilst watching the game. Maybe he was doing the little things right and it passed me by completely. It's not an individual criticism, the same can be said for the whole team yesterday. We scored three whilst playing pretty average against a poor Shrewsbury side. I saw one of their fans make a comment saying 'on that showing we're going down and so are Bristol City'. I wouldn't go that far, but the performance was nothing to rave about.

I'm really not complaining though, the performance itself mattered little yesterday, it was all about getting the result. Which we went and did the job perfectly.

It really wasn't! Don't get me wrong, I like Bryan, and he didn't have a bad game, but I genuinely didn't notice him making much of an impact whilst watching the game. Maybe he was doing the little things right and it passed me by completely. It's not an individual criticism, the same can be said for the whole team yesterday. We scored three whilst playing pretty average against a poor Shrewsbury side. I saw one of their fans make a comment saying 'on that showing we're going down and so are Bristol City'. I wouldn't go that far, but the performance was nothing to rave about.

I'm really not complaining though, the performance itself mattered little yesterday, it was all about getting the result. Which we went and did the job perfectly.

Im not wanting to niggle at you in particular mate. But I've done a fair amount of away games this year and that was by far the best league performance I've seen (only win probably says it all). We were in control for majority of the first half, they scored a freak goal, and we gifted them the second tbh (something that has happened regularly this season). I would say on the balance of play we were the better team, if not just for the fact we should have been a couple up at half time, I thought it was a thoroughly good away performance and we looked like we had a lot more quality (we should anyway really!) than them. On the other hand you could be right, we may have been average but I've become used to below that perhaps!? Either way im glad of the win!

Im not wanting to niggle at you in particular mate. But I've done a fair amount of away games this year and that was by far the best league performance I've seen (only win probably says it all). We were in control for majority of the first half, they scored a freak goal, and we gifted them the second tbh (something that has happened regularly this season). I would say on the balance of play we were the better team, if not just for the fact we should have been a couple up at half time, I thought it was a thoroughly good away performance and we looked like we had a lot more quality (we should anyway really!) than them. On the other hand you could be right, we may have been average but I've become used to below that perhaps!? Either way im glad of the win!

It was only my second after MK Dons, which I feel was a much better spectacle on the eye. Again, I must emphasise that I'm not complaining about yesterday's performance! I'd happily take the three points over anything else, especially when in a game that is practically a relegation dogfight, as it was yesterday.

He had his head over his

shirt every time a ball goes into the box it seems, he's completely lost

This maybe slighlty below the belt but...................my god you're getting almost like that "bristolcity?" Knumbskull with your constant negative comments. Or maybe I'm just unlucky and don't see your constructive or positive ones ?

First half I thought we were excellent and at times were playing the best football we have in quite a long time. Only we could manage to draw that half 1-1 rather than be going in 2/3-0 up which we should have been.

You have to say that Shrewsbury were pretty poor though and if we were more confident and/or more solid and assured defensively we could/should have gone on to win the game by a fair old margin. Full credit to the character we, for once, showed though. To be pegged back twice and still manage to win the game is admirable.

There were periods in the game which did leave you wondering why we aren't miles ahead of teams like Shrewsbury, the only problem is we also managed to commit the same school boy errors we have been making all season, which is of course why we have spent this season where we have.

Archived