IGNORED

Well Well Well

NickJ

Unlike a certain thread starter who wishes to divide the support again .

Saying Cotterill is a winner will only divide the support if the support wants to be divided

Cotterill would not of been my choice but he's here now and as far as i'm concerned is doing a good job & i'm 100% behind him, i do struggle to see why all your posts are always either self-congratulatory or divisive in trying to stir up a debate

Again, saying Cotterill is a winner shouldn't be divisive unless anyone wants to take issue with that. Having said that, isn't a forum meant to stir up debate?

Judging by the time of the original post I'd imagine Nic may well have had a refreshing night out

You'd be right there, day - including a trip to Shropshire - and night in fact.

From what I recall, we played rather well

Up the City

6 wins out of 16 aint too shabby at all. Decent percentage, that throughout a whole season would probably see us in or around the playoffs. Stay up this year and lets see what he can do in a whole season. Il reserve my judgement till then before I brand him a 'winner', he's doing a darn cite more than odriscoll to keep us up though that's for sure!

Certainly an improvement on 2 wins in 18.

Well although I agree to an extent of course, history will judge that I think!!

Outside of this forum, where the same 6-10 go on and on about SO'D and 'how he was just turning things round' I haven't met a single CIty fan who either regrets him going ( most put agreement with his sacking far more strongly than that) or thinks we might be better off long term if he'd stayed.

All had been bored and in a depression about the club and had no hope whatsoever that O'Driscoll was going to improve things.

Bumped into a group of old pals before the Shrewsbury game, not one of them had a good word to say about SO'D, every single one of them thought Cotterill was already proving a vast improvement in every way.

I used to think this forum was fairly representative, but half a dozen or so determinedly repetitive posters can give completely the wrong impression.

The fans I meet around Bristol are more than happy SO'D's gone - bloody delighted in fact - and are either happy with SC or gradually warming to him.

A few will never agree of course, but let's be quite plain about this: they are very much in a tiny minority and either don't attend matches - some even live abroad - or are so set in their opinion that SO'D was going to be the answer, despite the evidence of their own eyes and appalling results, that nothing SC does will ever change it.

Outside of this forum, where the same 6-10 go on and on about SO'D and 'how he was just turning things round' I haven't met a single CIty fan who either regrets him going ( most put agreement with his sacking far more strongly than that) or thinks we might be better off long term if he'd stayed.

All had been bored and in a depression about the club and had no hope whatsoever that O'Driscoll was going to improve things.

Bumped into a group of old pals before the Shrewsbury game, not one of them had a good word to say about SO'D, every single one of them thought Cotterill was already proving a vast improvement in every way.

I used to think this forum was fairly representative, but half a dozen or so determinedly repetitive posters can give completely the wrong impression.

The fans I meet around Bristol are more than happy SO'D's gone - bloody delighted in fact - and are either happy with SC or gradually warming to him.

A few will never agree of course, but let's be quite plain about this: they are very much in a tiny minority and either don't attend matches - some even live abroad - or are so set in their opinion that SO'D was going to be the answer, despite the evidence of their own eyes and appalling results, that nothing SC does will ever change it.

I wanted SoD to do well and actually liked his 'individual' way of dealing with the media. His no nonsense approach to them was refreshing but at the same time it's in any mangers interest to keep the local hacks onside. He didn't endear himself to them or the City fans either.

I was a little surprised and a little disappointed when he was sacked but his terrible win record was there for all to see and the board responded to that despite the fact that there were some signs that things were turning around. They were right not to wait any longer.

Cotterill, like SoD has inherited a squad thats not his own but he has at least added some experience and recent results are better. I'm confident he'll keep City up. Next summer will be an interesting time seeing who he ships out and who he brings in.

Not really sure what your getting at there pal, as I said history will judge SC, just as it judges SOD!

But anyone who's thinking SC is some kind of savour on what we've seen so far is jumping the gun a bit I think. But of course he should get a good amount of time to build a team and show us what he can do.

Good to hear all your "mates" like to give managers plenty of time to sort things though.

Also YES the footie was terrible under SOD, but long term - we'll never know will we? But thats history.

You must thought something of SOD at some point.

Didn't you once have a picture of him as your avatar?

Only a picture of him waving his hands round like a moron when asked a perfectly normal question by an interviewer, embarrassing himself and the club in the process

Didn't you suggest on another forum that SOD would be our greatest manager ever??

Not really sure what your getting at there pal, as I said history will judge SC, just as it judges SOD!

But anyone who's thinking SC is some kind of savour on what we've seen so far is jumping the gun a bit I think. But of course he should get a good amount of time to build a team and show us what he can do.

Good to hear all your "mates" like to give managers plenty of time to sort things though.

Also YES the footie was terrible under SOD, but long term - we'll never know will we? But thats history.

Fair enough stumpie, probably no reason to have quoted you above.

No one thinks SC is 'the saviour', by the way, most level headed fans probably haven't made their minds up about him yet. What they do know is that they are much happier and more optimistic about BCFC with him in charge than they were under SO'D. Time will tell whether SC is the right man - obviously keeping City up is the first absolute necessity ( did anyone ever mention that to SO'D?) and then we go from there.

And my mates did give SO'D time - they're not the loud impatient sort. They're the silent majority types who've been supporting City for decades, continue attending no matter what, and never post on forums.

One spineless relegation and continuing terrible football and results was enough to convince them that giving SO'D yet more time would only see BCFC going one way.

Saying Cotterill is a winner will only divide the support if the support wants to be divided

Again, saying Cotterill is a winner shouldn't be divisive unless anyone wants to take issue with that. Having said that, isn't a forum meant to stir up debate?

More than a tad disingenuous, Nick.  The "I'm a winner" thread showed how many had "issues" with SC.   You clearly intended to stir up a very boring hornet's nest with this thread.    Debate, yes please - but I, like I suspect most of the users on this forum, am mightily fed up of this perpetual SC v SOD debate.  Move on.   COYR.

More than a tad disingenuous, Nick.  The "I'm a winner" thread showed how many had "issues" with SC.   You clearly intended to stir up a very boring hornet's nest with this thread.    Debate, yes please - but I, like I suspect most of the users on this forum, am mightily fed up of this perpetual SC v SOD debate.  Move on.   COYR.

You have a point there, although this is nothing to do with any SOD v SC debate, just the unnecessarily vicious personal abusive comments in the "Winner" thread.

Given the timing of the original post and what preceded it, I'm pleasantly surprised at the restraint shown.

he he

Are you talking to me - do you really want to know?

Well to be fair to you it doesn't actually matter, your till entitled to your opinion!

But as in the reply to my quote you mentioned alot of "Sodites" didn't even attend games I assumed that was possibly aimed at me to, so I just clarified.

Just for the record, I supported SOD yes, as I do all managers until its untenable. BUT a big part of that was we were just being to impatient with our managers/head coaches.

Though as I implied earlier, opinions are definitely like assholes!

Long may it continue :D

Only a picture of him waving his hands round like a moron when asked a perfectly normal question by an interviewer, embarrassing himself and the club in the process

Didn't you suggest on another forum that SOD would be our greatest manager ever??

No I did not suggest anything of the sort. While at the time I did have a bit of time for SOD.

I liked his football Philosophy. The only proplem, he couldn't Convert this footbling concepts to the pitch. SC is the polar opposite of SOD. He is a no nonsense manager, and not likely to blind us with football Science. That said his recent results are pleasing and I stand shoulder to shoulder with most of the fan base fully behind him.

One of the issues with SOD I had was that I'd hear about this beautiful passing game in his interviews etc and then go and watch the worst style of hoofball with awful results I'd seen in years.

What he said and then did seemed light years from each other.

Terrible days and I was thrilled we got rid.

One of the issues with SOD I had was that I'd hear about this beautiful passing game in his interviews etc and then go and watch the worst style of hoofball with awful results I'd seen in years.

What he said and then did seemed light years from each other.

Terrible days and I was thrilled we got rid.

My thoughts exactly, i kept wondering when we were going to stop pumping long balls up to Baldock and start playing the attractive football SOD had a reputation for, as for SC he wouldn't of been my choice but he's here now, results have improved & like most i am 100% behind him. 

Well to be fair to you it doesn't actually matter, your till entitled to your opinion!

But as in the reply to my quote you mentioned alot of "Sodites" didn't even attend games I assumed that was possibly aimed at me to, so I just clarified.

Just for the record, I supported SOD yes, as I do all managers until its untenable. BUT a big part of that was we were just being to impatient with our managers/head coaches.

Though as I implied earlier, opinions are definitely like assholes!

Long may it continue :D

Well, as regards length of ST holding let's just say 'many many years' certainly appiles to me too, and leave it at that.

In fact I wasn't referring to you at all, rather the entrenched SO'D devotees from abroad - and indeed this country - who post undying support for him on this forum without ever having to suffer watching BCFC play under him. 

I agree the board have lacked patience on occasions in the past, but clearly I don't agree that was the case with SO'D.

You find the right man and support him, but when someone shows in just about every aspect of management that he is not that man then there is nothing to be gained, and much potentially to be lost, by persevering with him.

That's the situation we'd reached with SO'D - imo of course.

Well, as regards length of ST holding let's just say 'many many years' certainly appiles to me too, and leave it at that.

In fact I wasn't referring to you at all, rather the entrenched SO'D devotees from abroad - and indeed this country - who post undying support for him on this forum without ever having to suffer watching BCFC play under him. 

I agree the board have lacked patience on occasions in the past, but clearly I don't agree that was the case with SO'D.

You find the right man and support him, but when someone shows in just about every aspect of management that he is not that man then there is nothing to be gained, and much potentially to be lost, by persevering with him.

That's the situation we'd reached with SO'D - imo of course.

So just who are these entrenched devotees who live abroad and never watch City?

For my part, I'm an entrenched devotee of Bristol City, been so for 50 years, who watches most games, home and away, and supports City, and their manager, whoever that happens to be.

I happened to like SODs philosophy, and what he said he was trying to do at the club, and yes I do think that it's a pity that, just when he was starting to turn things round results wise, the board lost patience. And although I'll support SC and what he is trying to do, it's certainly the case that I'm less keen on his footballing philosophy and style. My personal preference is for the more thoughtful and creative style that SOD was trying to deliver than the 'up and at them' style of SC. I'd rather watch Arsenal than Wimbledon. Just my preference. But that doesn't make me any more or less devoted to Bristol City and to supporting the club and the manager.

But, let's get a bit of perspective. Yes, there were times when the football under SOD was poor - but there were other times when it was good - maybe not the style you prefer. At MK Dons, at Port Vale, at Carlisle, we played much better and more enjoyable football than we did at Brentford, Sheffield, or Shrewsbury. Because the football under SC is also good some weeks and not so others. And let's not pretend that Saturday was good football: exciting at times, and especially so if you like that style of football, I guess. But it was typical percentage football: punt enough long balls forward quickly enough and eventually one will fall for us or a defender will make a mistake ( as per our second). And rely on Shrewsbury being too poor to take advantage of the endless possession we give away and the countless free kicks in our half. They were just worse than us!

And, perspective again, sorry but I don't believe that I am one of only 6 to a dozen fans who feel like this. Maybe it's the circles we move in, but amongst the fans I know (all of whom meet your criteria of living in this country and of watching City regularly), there are as many who share my view that we acted far too hastily in sacking SOD as there are those who were glad to see him go. And as I recall! the long thread on here on the day he was sacked demonstrated a pretty overwhelming view that it was a mistake.

We are where we are though, and like I say I support SC even though I might not be so keen on his philosophy ( and I have to say that it's a shame that some of those currently banging on about how we should all get behind our manager were less keen to do so 6 months ago). We'll never know what would have happened if SoD had been given the time to finish what he started. And we'll probably never know what would have happened if SC had had the opportunity SoD had to start with almost a clean sheet this season and to bring in a whole team that would suit his style and his philosophy. That's the most frustrating things for me: last summer gave the club that real opportunity for a root and branch change. A large % of players were leaving, giving the new man that rare opportunity to bring in a whole team of players and coaches that would play his way and buy into his philosophy. I'm quite sure that if SC had been given that opportunity we'd have a very different looking team on and off the pitch right now.

So, just a plea for a bit of perspective: we will all have different views about the type of football we like to watch, and about the 'what might have beens' that makes football the game we love. But SC will prove whether he's a good and successful manager at Bristol City in his own right, and not just on the basis that 'at least he's not as bad as the last one'! And some (and I'd maintain a good number, although I suspect like you have no real evidence of actual numbers!) long standing, regular, local, devoted, fans liked what SOD tried to do, enjoyed watching the majority of games under him, and thought it was a mistake to get rid when we did.

What a legacy of 2 wins in 18 games? (15 points)?, perhaps if he concentrated on results instead of 'performances', he might still have a job, SOD's long term plan saw us relegated without a fight followed by another relegation fight.

SC wasn't my choice but if he keeps us up, then he has fulfilled the first part of his brief.

Absolutely correct sir, spot on with all you say there. If only the majority could see this.

Absolutely correct sir, spot on with all you say there. If only the majority could see this.

and I would like to ask, if SOD is such a great forward thinking intelligent coach, why hasn't another team taken him on?, surely that sort of talent is as rare as rocking horse shit?, in fact it seems to me he was far too good for BCFC in the first place.

and I would like to ask, if SOD is such a great forward thinking intelligent coach, why hasn't another team taken him on?, surely that sort of talent is as rare as rocking horse shit?, in fact it seems to me he was far too good for BCFC in the first place.

He's probably waiting for the appointment that best matches his skill set - something in the media perhaps..........

He's probably waiting for the appointment that best matches his skill set - something in the media perhaps..........

After-dinner whisperer, perchance.

Perfecting his own stand up routine, says he is fed up with writing for Jack Dee and not getting any credit, he is the red hot favourite for this years Perrier award in Edingburgh.

Unlike a certain thread starter who wishes to divide the support again .

No, unlike a certain thread starter that wants to unite the support, behind OUR manager, for those that want to be united.

He he

Archived