IGNORED

Signing Of The Season?

redsince1994

My signing of the season is Derrick Williams.  He's not the finished article but he's young, capable of learning and even pops up with the odd important goal.

Was Osbornes recent injury not caused by him popping up for an odd important goal ? 

I was thinking exactly this myself.

Osborne has looked dreadful at right-back/right-wingback.  He looks like a centre back playing fullback.  His positioning is just terrible and he's been responsible for a number of goals from that side.

So, I'm not quite sure why people are suddenly making him signing of the season.  Short memories perhaps.

Having said all that, he has been very good in the centre.  Still however, not the best signing in that position!!

My signing of the season is Derrick Williams.  He's not the finished article but he's young, capable of learning and even pops up with the odd important goal.

Is it his fault he played at RB. He is a CB. 

Williams has become... whatever the opposite of a scapegoat is. He's been at fault for a number of really poorly given away goals and come out relatively unscathed. He's young and done well in patches but Osborne, when played in his correct position, has been a far better addition.

Williams has become... whatever the opposite of a scapegoat is. He's been at fault for a number of really poorly given away goals and come out relatively unscathed. He's young and done well in patches but Osborne, when played in his correct position, has been a far better addition.

Osborne is a seasoned campaigner at this level though so no real surprise.

Williams is playing his first full league season and looks mature beyond his years. Young player of the season for me definitely.

I agree, and I confess I really like Williams and the Rose Tints are often on, that said he too has been played at left back when I believe he is better at centre back. Furthermore when your regular, senior centre back partners have been flint, el abd and fontaine, it's hardly confidence boosting for him. A stretch of Osborne and Williams as a pair would be good I think.

Osborne is a seasoned campaigner at this level though so no real surprise.

Williams is playing his first full league season and looks mature beyond his years. Young player of the season for me definitely.

Osborne is indeed, that doesn't precIude him from being our best signing though.

I also wouldn't praise Williams quite that much but he clearly has some potential.

Osborne is great, but in terms of a consistent performer who hit the ground-running as a young player here and made himself virtually undroppable, I'd say Derek Williams was signing of the season.

If Wade Elliott continues to sparkle, he could be a contender too.

+1

Williams hasnt been nearly as good as made out on here. Still think he is one of our better defenders and considering his age i am very happy with him in the side.

Indeed, I hope Williams plays considerably better this Saturday than he did in the corresponding fixture at the County Ground.

I'd separate out the youth from established players myself as, personally, I have different expectations from them (i.e. youth should be expected to maybe have more dips or fluctuations in form).

Personally, Williams suffers from having been good when the team is good, and bad when the team is bad, but it is absolutely to his credit that he's always been in and around the starting 11 all season, in what is his first as a first team squad pro.  Depending on his form from here till the end of the season, especially as suspensions/injuries throwing him into the spotlight alongside Osborne, he could very well demonstrate how far he has progressed, and stake a very real claim to be one of the buys of the season, and be a contender for young player of the year.

I think Bryan and Reid, despite both making excellent progress, have trailed off post Christmas (for various reasons, including injury, to be fair), though Bryan is making more of an impact now, and hopefully that goal versus Shrewbury and the faith shown in bringing him on when we needed clear heads and hard workers at Peterborough will mean we get to see more of him during the run in.  I like him, and really hope his role increases in a more stable and forward (i.e. up the table) thinking team next year.  Again, depending on his impact over the next 11 games (some assists and more goals), he could very realistically be a contender for young player of the year.

Amongst the established pros, I think that for me only JET and Baldock can claim to have made positive impacts that have dwarfed their less than shining moments.  

Despite his dip in form post-January (in which he was still contributing assists, if not goals) JET's performances were one of the few shining lights during SOD's reign.  To rack up such an impressive tally of goals and assists in a debut season, let alone with ten+ games to go, is no small effort, and he must be one of the most naturally talented players we've had in the last decade or longer.  Yes, he's not perfect, and can prove to be somewhat of an enigma, but he's turned many games on their head this year, and still (as his opening goal and assist for the winner against Shrewsbury shows) is helping the team, despite not clearly being at the top of his game.  

I feel there will be at least a couple or more games this season where he'll make a critical contribution that no other player would be able to, thanks to his skill, and if he does move on this summer, especially if we stay up, I cannot begrudge him doing so, as if most players contributed across a couple of years what JET has in one, we'd be lucky indeed.

That said, he'll be pushed all the was to player of the year by Baldock.  Many felt he was the weaker of the two 'point' strikers we had when Davies was still here, and that we got rid of the wrong player.  Even more question his promotion to captain.  Often asked to work alone as a sub-6-foot target man in formations clearly not suited to his style, nevertheless he just got on with it and worked his arse off for the team.  

Despite having a decent goal return anyway, since shaking things and placing him wider, Cotterill has got even more from him (one of the most bold and successful decisions he's made) and the fact we possess the divisions top league scorer, despite currently being at the highest league position we've managed all season, is testament to Baldock's character and determination.  He had a patch where he perhaps wasn't quite at his best in front of goal, yet he's moved past that and if he stays fit and we continue providing him the opportunities, I think he could very realistically finish at League One top scorer.  If that were to happen, considering the context in which it took place, I cannot imagine we'd look past him as player of the year, frankly.

Samo... If there were a prize for longest thread you'd be up there squire!

Only one winner for me and that has to be JET but we still have 10 or so games left so we shall see who comes out on top by then.

I just figure if you're gonna make you point, make it properly!

Plus, was bored on my lunchbreak...   :blink:

Archived