IGNORED

Signing Of The Season?

redsince1994

When you think he's a new bloke he absolutely marshalled those two banks of defenses tonight.

Just watching them organize and see Williams and Cunningham listening as he held the line and told them where to stand etc.

Fantastic performance tonight. He won every header.

He will probably be overlooked but Wade Elliott is a decent shout.

Of course Cotterill badly backfired by "not seeing him play" before loaning him in, didn't he?

I mean someone who had started 10 games in The Championship this season, played 400+ in total in his career and who he had managed before was clearly a huge gamble of Styvar proportions...

Of course Cotterill badly backfired by "not seeing him play" before loaning him in, didn't he?

I mean someone who had started 10 games in The Championship this season, played 400+ in total in his career and who he had managed before was clearly a huge gamble of Styvar proportions...

Not scouting him and then admitting it publicly was daft, there's no getting away from that.

But after a shaky start (not helped by SC experimenting playing him in an unfamiliar position) he has done well. I don't think anyone ever doubted that Elliott had class, particularly at this level.

Would be nice if we could keep him, started the pro game late so although he's 35 think he has a good couple of seasons left in him.

I said this ages ago when he was not playing that great that he was the Other stand out player in the squad. He has natural talent that is now shinning through. He is good on the ball, has a good football brain. Another type of player you build a side around. The other being the lazy bloke who adds nothing to the squad.

Not scouting him and then admitting it publicly was daft, there's no getting away from that.

But after a shaky start (not helped by SC experimenting playing him in an unfamiliar position) he has done well. I don't think anyone ever doubted that Elliott had class, particularly at this level.

Normally I would agree but he's clearly a player who SC is very familiar with. He knows his strengths and weaknesses, and he's never been particularly pacey so it's not as though he's lost that.

If he was played in an unfamiliar central position, he's certainly warmed to it since he's still playing there and doing well. More likely is he was looking off the pace having not played in two months, for my money.

Normally I would agree but he's clearly a player who SC is very familiar with. He knows his strengths and weaknesses, and he's never been particularly pacey so it's not as though he's lost that.

If he was played in an unfamiliar central position, he's certainly warmed to it since he's still playing there and doing well. More likely is he was looking off the pace having not played in two months, for my money.

SC played Elliott right wing back first two games, bizarre really. Thankfully returned to CM now. I just hope we return to due diligence on all future signings.

SC played Elliott right wing back first two games, bizarre really. Thankfully returned to CM now. I just hope we return to due diligence on all future signings.

He was in central midfield at Brentford, having replaced Marlon Pack at half-time. He also played there at Wolves, as Osbourne was RWB.

Is a manager not watching a player before bringing them in such a bad thing?

Cotterill obviously knew about Wade Elliott and what he could do, also how is a manager expected to go and watch a player when every Saturday he's watching his own team, what are scouts for??

Osbourne was absolutely superb last night. One of the best central defensive performances (I guess that isn't actually saying a lot really) from a City player in a long time. I also thought he did really well in his time after coming on Saturday and helped sure us up a bit after we had looked really shaky defensively in the second half before his arrival. Bearing in mind he was only on 20 minutes he won a ridiculous amount of headers in that time.

I have been impressed with him in almost every game he has played at centre half and I hope his place in the team at the heart of defence is assured for a while now. Well it will be for 3 games at least I guess!

So there's a fair few games left. But can anyone surpass Karleigh Osbourne for signing of the season? Been an absolute rock in defence every game he's played be it right back or in the middle. I'm hoping we'll see him for many a year to come.

Gets my vote

So there's a fair few games left. But can anyone surpass Karleigh Osbourne for signing of the season? Been an absolute rock in defence every game he's played be it right back or in the middle. I'm hoping we'll see him for many a year to come.

You must of missed some games where he's played RB and you think he's been solid..

Didn't Cotterill work with Elliot at Burnley? so knew well enough what kind of player he was.

Maybe I imagined it.

Didn't Cotterill work with Elliot at Burnley? so knew well enough what kind of player he was.

Maybe I imagined it.

I think you are right, I think the concerns at the time were that SC said he hadn't seen him play for a while and wasn't sure he could still play to the same level at 35, particularly in the wide positions which I believe he has spent most of his career. It suggested that his signing was a bit of a gamble.

Maybe it's a bit of a Tinman situation? I don't think there is any doubt that he added 2/3 seasons onto his career when he was moved into the middle.

You must of missed some games where he's played RB and you think he's been solid..

I was thinking exactly this myself.

Osborne has looked dreadful at right-back/right-wingback.  He looks like a centre back playing fullback.  His positioning is just terrible and he's been responsible for a number of goals from that side.

So, I'm not quite sure why people are suddenly making him signing of the season.  Short memories perhaps.

Having said all that, he has been very good in the centre.  Still however, not the best signing in that position!!

My signing of the season is Derrick Williams.  He's not the finished article but he's young, capable of learning and even pops up with the odd important goal.

Archived