IGNORED

Robben

Last night makes the most appalling cheating dive and even embarrassingly appeals for a penalty and then complains when Wenger calls him a diver, the authorities really do need to act, it's ruining the game and until they lay down retrospective long bans it will infect the game forever, what better time with a world cup looming, where we know the cheating will be ramped up to epidemic levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfKMbvfVUs

So basically it was an Andy Townshend 'he was entitled to go down' type penalty, which surely is embellishing the contact into something that it wasn't, i.e.; enough to actually make him go down?.

All players do it even City players. Owen did it plenty of times for England winning penalties and I bet nobody complained then

There was contact for the penalty - and it probably was a penalty - but this whole "he had every right to go down" attitude makes me livid. It simply provides some amount of validity to a player throwing himself on the ground after being tapped. Fact is that any one of us playing in that situation would have kept battling, tried to turn the defender etcetera. It's total crap.

Aside from that Robben's behaviour was appalling last night, one of the dives was up there with the worst I have ever seen - and only yards away from the "extra official" behind the goal, too. If both he and the referee was so absolutely sure it was not a foul then he should be sent off, it's disgraceful. I do understand players collide and comings together happen and players will fall over, and it is not always a foul or a dive - but when it's so painfully obvious that a player is cheating, **even retrospectively** he should be banned. It's hard to say the ref and linesman should get absolutely everything 100% correct, they are only people and the only technological help they get is goalline. Retrospective long bans and heavy fines for EVERY dive would soon snuff it out I'm sure.

If people actually think the force being enough to put a player to the ground or not has any relevance to the game today they need to take their heads out of the sand.

And for the record, if I'm the area and a defender is stupid enough to do that to me, I certainly don't forgive him his mistake and 'keep battling', I punish him by going to ground and winning a penalty, especially if the likelihood of getting a chance on goal is minimal. I'd be cursing any player that did differently.

If people actually think the force being enough to put a player to the ground or not has any relevance to the game today they need to take their heads out of the sand.

And for the record, if I'm the area and a defender is stupid enough to do that to me, I certainly don't forgive him his mistake and 'keep battling', I punish him by going to ground and winning a penalty, especially if the likelihood of getting a chance on goal is minimal. I'd be cursing any player that did differently.

Wtf, it's a contact sport. Are you saying any physical contact, no matter how hard, in the box should be a penalty and the player should go down?

EMB is dead right but it is too late now. Football is a game for cheats and most of the time they get away with it - often prosper by winning free kicks and penalties. Football used to be a contact sport. Nowadays a mere touch from an opponent causes temporary paralysis.

I played for about 25 years and during that time I can only remember 1 head injury. Watch football today and there are often 3 or 4 stoppages where players have fallen to the ground clutching their faces after the slightest touch. If football has changed that much, make all the players wear helmets like the cricketers.

No, I'm saying a penalty could be awarded whether a defender steamrollers straight through an attacker or gently steps on his foot.

It's whether the attacker is infringed or not that is judged, not whether he's barged over or hits the turf.

If it was as simple as that there would be no need to simulate.

Refs are influenced and their perception of incidents affected by cheats.

I have to ask, if that minimal contact had occurred on a busy street, whilst say running for a bus, does anybody honestly believe that they would have gone down onto the hard concrete pavement? and of course the answer would almost certainly be no, so the act of going down was an embellishment of the minimal contact and little different to a Peterborough player going down holding his face when he 'may' have been pushed in his chest it's embellishment designed to gain an advantage of either a penalty or to get a fellow pro sent off.

Rugby players look upon footballers as overpaid squealing, cheating tarts and boy they are correct.

I don't disagree with you tbf.

However, making the most of contact is now an accepted and important part of the game (the lack of action against it by governing bodies makes it so).

We can all protest against it, but if we want success our own players must become adept at it.

Being a 'good, honest forward' in this day and age is far less effective then a player that can exaggerate contact effectively.

However, making the most of contact is now an accepted and important part of the game (the lack of action against it by governing bodies makes it so).

We can all protest against it, but if we want success our own players must become adept at it.

Being a 'good, honest forward' in this day and age is far less effective then a player that can exaggerate contact effectively.

This is all true, however it's still against the rules so what are fans to think?

Sorry but that is BS, I can think of nothing lower in a sport (and don't give me the 'business' BS, business's are supposed to make money) than trying to get a fellow pro sent off, it makes me sick.

I have to ask, if that minimal contact had occurred on a busy street, whilst say running for a bus, does anybody honestly believe that they would have gone down onto the hard concrete pavement? and of course the answer would almost certainly be no, so the act of going down was an embellishment of the minimal contact and little different to a Peterborough player going down holding his face when he 'may' have been pushed in his chest it's embellishment designed to gain an advantage of either a penalty or to get a fellow pro sent off.

Rugby players look upon footballers as overpaid squealing, cheating tarts and boy they are correct.

But the difference is football rewards this behaviour. With penalties, with wins, with titles and big money moves.

Rugby does not, of course. But if it had also become necessary in that game to feign more and it had gone unpunished and grown then rugby would potentially not be any different now.

The very best players will do whatever it takes to win. Whether they would fall over in the street is completely irrelevant.

Sorry but that is BS, I can think of nothing lower in a sport (and don't give me the 'business' BS, business's are supposed to make money) than trying to get a fellow pro sent off, it makes me sick.

Well there is the argument that the 'businesses' in football are now the individual players and not the clubs. And as we all know, they are making plenty of profit for themselves.

Players will stretch the rules to the absolute limit to win. It's not right, but I wouldn't totally blame them for the culture that was being allowed to grow in the game while they were infants. And is still being allowed to grow.

Robben may be a 'cheat', but he plays for potentially the best side in the world and they won the game. He'll sleep easily with the actions he took.

But the difference is football rewards this behaviour. With penalties, with wins, with titles and big money moves.

Rugby does not, of course. But if it had also become necessary in that game to feign more and it had gone unpunished and grown then rugby would potentially not be any different now.

The very best players will do whatever it takes to win. Whether they would fall over in the street is completely irrelevant.

You are talking nonsense my friend, rugby would just not allow it.

and it's not irrelevant in the slightest, because if you teach your children to act in that way in sport or in life, you should be ashamed and sadly some people do.

it's when you look in the mirror, cheating is cheating and trying to get a fellow pro sent is the lowest of the low.

Well there is the argument that the 'businesses' in football are now the individual players and not the clubs. And as we all know, they are making plenty of profit for themselves.

Players will stretch the rules to the absolute limit to win. It's not right, but I wouldn't totally blame them for the culture that was being allowed to grow in the game while they were infants. And is still being allowed to grow.

Robben may be a 'cheat', but he plays for potentially the best side in the world and they won the game. He'll sleep easily with the actions he took.

So just to clarify, the best team in the world need to cheat to gain that position? wow that's something to be proud of.

You are talking nonsense my friend, rugby would just not allow it.

and it's not irrelevant in the slightest, because if you teach your children to act in that way in sport or in life, you should be ashamed and sadly some people do.

it's when you look in the mirror, cheating is cheating and trying to get a fellow pro sent is the lowest of the low.

I'm talking hypothetically. We all know Rugby haven't allowed it, but Football was once a 'manly' sport with tough challenges. My point exactly is that they did allow it, and look where we find ourselves?

Games and players will change based on how much they are allowed to get away with.

And the point is, players are taught to act like that, because acting like that brings success.

Archived