IGNORED

Robben

I'm talking hypothetically. We all know Rugby haven't allowed it, but Football was once a 'manly' sport with tough challenges. My point exactly is that they did allow it, and look where we find ourselves?

Games and players will change based on how much they are allowed to get away with.

And the point is, players are taught to act like that, because acting like that brings success.

But instead of trying to right this wrong you are advocating our team joining in with it.

But instead of trying to right this wrong you are advocating our team joining in with it.

Don't get me wrong, I do see your points, and we all long for a return to the morals of players of previous era's, and more physicality.

But that's gone, and trying to get our players to engage in some crusade against it while everyone around us continues to reap the rewards unpunished will not benefit us one iota.

Don't get me wrong, I do see your points, and we all long for a return to the morals of players of previous era's, and more physicality.

But that's gone, and trying to get our players to engage in some crusade against it while everyone around us continues to reap the rewards unpunished will not benefit us one iota.

Jesus mate, a few years ago who would have thought that safe standing at UK stadiums would be back on the agenda and why? because of fan pressure.

if you want to go down the Cardiff route of, well at least were in the prem, so it's not that bad really that the soul has been ripped out of the club by a moron. or the pro active Lazio route of actually carrying out a viable threat.

I watched the first half of England v Denmark and apart from the usual slow, boring, unskilful England build up, I was struck by the fact that England players first thought was any contact and I must go down, surely if it's a foul and you don't go down and you don't gain an advantage you'll get your foul anyway and guess what stay on your feet and you might create more chances, I couldn't be arsed to watch the 2nd half.

The first line of attack are the pundits, who are far to interested in not derailing the gravy train to tell the truth about what is happening in the game and FFS Townshend and Dixon were trying to defend Robben last night claiming Wenger was ungracious in defeat.

I don't disagree with your points.

However it's the British that complain most about diving as they are the worst at it, although that is changing with each generation of player now.

The problem is that it is so ingrained and accepted in other cultures. Portugal, Spain, South America etc. They embrace it there and treat it as an 'art' as important as being able to control the ball itself.

It would take an impossible seismic shift to change the thinking of so much of the footballing world. The simple fact is: the rest of the world do not see diving as important an issue, or as dirty an act, as the British do. The constant complaints from the papers here, or the fans, are seen as no more then an inconvenience to FIFA and UEFA, despite the rare lip-service they pay us about wanting to stamp it out.

Expected better from Robben, he's usually pretty sporting in his post match interviews.

I'm sorry mate but we're talking about the bloke who thinks he's bigger than the whole Dutch World Cup effort, walking off on the wrong side of the pitch when substituted in  a World Cup match and parading around showing off like he's the greatest.

The bloke is an obnoxious ego-fuelled cheat up there with that other obnoxious "genius" cheat Thierry Henry.

The simple facts are that he dived/cheated twice and should have got two yellows then a red card.

That's the only way of dealing with him,he's a cheat, plain and simple.

100% agree..........he constantly exaggerates even the most minimal of contact.  However anyone wants to phrase it or defend it........he is a cheat.  Shame because he is a very good player, who will be remembered for his attitude not his ability. The referee from Norway was weak and ineffectual, a better ref with belief in himself would have shown a red.

Let's be honest, football is rotten to it's core and that core is FIFA and it is aided and abetted by an abundance of self important pundits who shamelessly go along for the ride on the gravy train that is overloaded with bundles of cash and far too many I suspect younger fans believe it to be ok and part of the game.

Personally I don't think that it was a penalty, if you can't make any contact in a contact sport then whats the point, also he didn't 'foul' robben, robben fell to the floor at the slightest touch. The other one there is no debate, it was a dive end of.

Unfortunatley the game is being killed and UEFA and other football associations need to come down hard on the players and clubs of any players cheating. Fines need to be made higher though as for some players a 100k fine (using pardews as an example) would be half a weeks wages and they can afford it easily. Retrospective punishment needs to come in soon otherwise it will become too late.

Players like Robben are one of the reasons I rarely watch football on tv whereas I used to watch as much as I could.Football has become a joke,and while I like and admire rugby, I can't embrace it the way I do with football which is a shame as rugby players seem to play with pride and honestly.

Archived