IGNORED

Pitman And Other Former Players

citywest30

And that's why the club will never amount to anything, the work ethic is all wrong as like you said its easy street and there is no hunger and desire to succeed long term.

Whilst I'm not Steve C biggest fan I don't believe the players will get an easy ride under him like they have been.

Based on his 13 championship goals in 21 app. for a non chance creating City team perhaps?

Not unreasonable to think he would get 20+ playing regulary in a good Championship team.

Don't know what his circumstances have been at Bournemouth this season, but I woudn't gloat, or write him off, on the basis of 1 season if I were you.

Plenty of time still for Pitman to make you splutter embarrassingly on your guffaws - his record since leaving City for Bournemouth is better than 1 in 2.

Not quite sure where you get your stats from but 20 goals in 77 apps doesn't suggest a great record for City. Everytime he had a chance starting he wouldn't score. He has since failed to prove he can at Bournemouth which a lot if poster were saying he would. So far they (you included?) have been proved wrong. Of course longer term he could prove me wrong and if he does I would eat some humble pie but I think league 1 is his level.

Based on his 13 championship goals in 21 app. for a non chance creating City team perhaps?

Not unreasonable to think he would get 20+ playing regulary in a good Championship team.

Don't know what his circumstances have been at Bournemouth this season, but I woudn't gloat, or write him off, on the basis of 1 season if I were you.

Plenty of time still for Pitman to make you splutter embarrassingly on your guffaws - his record since leaving City for Bournemouth is better than 1 in 2.

It's the "playing regularly" part that's the problem for Pitman as he doesn't have a good enough all round game (or fitness while at City) to warrant regular starts at Cship level.

You said that when Pitman left City there would be Cship clubs falling over themselves to bring him on board - I told you there wouldn't. Fact is he dropped a division back to his hometown club, did well again in L1 and is now not starting games yet again at Cship level.

You also doubted Skuse would get offers from the Cship - which I repeatedly told you he would (despite his admittedly poor form towards the end at City).

Not quite sure where you get your stats from but 20 goals in 77 apps doesn't suggest a great record for City. Everytime he had a chance starting he wouldn't score. He has since failed to prove he can at Bournemouth which a lot if poster were saying he would. So far they (you included?) have been proved wrong. Of course longer term he could prove me wrong and if he does I would eat some humble pie but I think league 1 is his level.

As I said, when played regularly for City he scored well, and that was in a City team that notoriously created very few chances for the strikers. As you allude to above it seemed he had to score every time he was reintroduced to the team in order to retain his place for the next game - a ridiculous pressure at any level.

You obviously do 'think league 1 is his level' but if you watched City regularly when Pitman played you'll have seen his natural finishing ability was beyond that level. It's a bit odd for you to come on here triumphantly - I don't remember you particularly arguing the point in threads at the time -  after less than a season when he has plenty of time yet to prove his worth. You should perhaps note that whatever his current scoring prowess this 'Championship failure' is 2nd top scorer for a club in that division (after absolutely battering the 3rd division for the 2nd half of last season) while the club who wouldn't play him languishes in Div.1.

City proved right to let him go for next to nothing? I don't think so.

Very premature of you to be gloating like this, and I look forward to you raising the subject just as vocally should he go on to prove you wrong.

It's the "playing regularly" part that's the problem for Pitman as he doesn't have a good enough all round game (or fitness while at City) to warrant regular starts at Cship level.

You said that when Pitman left City there would be Cship clubs falling over themselves to bring him on board - I told you there wouldn't. Fact is he dropped a division back to his hometown club, did well again in L1 and is now not starting games yet again at Cship level.

You also doubted Skuse would get offers from the Cship - which I repeatedly told you he would (despite his admittedly poor form towards the end at City).

All Pitman lacks is pace. His finishing, passing, positional play and link play are well up to that level.

I don't remember saying 'Championship clubs would be falling over themselves to sign him' -  that sounds more like Robbored's phrase to describe Skuse. Which of course they weren't, just homely old Ipswich.

I did think Pitman would go on to play in the Championship, which he has, and score very well at that level, which I still believe he will.

I think I actually said ( in response to a poster who maintained 4 Championship clubs 'were in' for Skuse) I doubted Skuse would go on to be more than a squad player at a Championship club. I readily admit I'm surprised he's been a regular so far at Ipswich judging by his extremely ineffectual play last season for City.

You seem to have some inside knowledge on certain City matters and perhaps you based your predictions for Skuse on that - they surely can't have been based on his effectiveness or form for City, which as you accept above was poor, and my views are based on what I see on the pitch, nothing else.

So far he's done better than I would have expected but, as with Pitman, let's see what how he fares over a longer period.

I was appalled that SL told us at a Q and A in Wolverhampton that he believed a player could not be improved past the age of 25. If that view is prevalent at City no wonder many players deteriorate when they come to us.

That said under the new manager we now do have some footballers in midfield 

I guess you also need to consider that its not all about scoring goals though. I wander what the assist and passing rates etc look like.

I understand from the various JET threads that goals, assists and killer passes are not valid as a way to measure contribution.

now can anyone share the yardage run off the ball stats for our ex players? That way we can really judge their impact.

As I said, when played regularly for City he scored well, and that was in a City team that notoriously created very few chances for the strikers. As you allude to above it seemed he had to score every time he was reintroduced to the team in order to retain his place for the next game - a ridiculous pressure at any level.

You obviously do 'think league 1 is his level' but if you watched City regularly when Pitman played you'll have seen his natural finishing ability was beyond that level. It's a bit odd for you to come on here triumphantly - I don't remember you particularly arguing the point in threads at the time - after less than a season when he has plenty of time yet to prove his worth. You should perhaps note that whatever his current scoring prowess this 'Championship failure' is 2nd top scorer for a club in that division (after absolutely battering the 3rd division for the 2nd half of last season) while the club who wouldn't play him languishes in Div.1.

City proved right to let him go for next to nothing? I don't think so.

Very premature of you to be gloating like this, and I look forward to you raising the subject just as vocally should he go on to prove you wrong.

A few points - I was definitely involved in a few threads stating my opinion about Pitman and not feeling like we would miss him greatly but kept getting told he would go on to score freely in the Championship. I'm merely pointing out that he hasn't done so since leaving and that there is a bit of a pattern forming where players that a lot of OTIB posters have said we shouldn't have let go aren't really pulling up trees yet those who were slated are now doing ok (and in some cases well) at Championship level.

As for my 'alluded' point I wasn't really alluding to anything other than the fact that at the time in the threads about Pitman many (again yourself included?) said he didn't get a fair chance but in my opinion he did, just didn't take it. Of course strikers shouldn't just be judged on goals but when we're talking about a striker who offers little else other than being a good finisher, then it's vital; he's not like a Sammy B who works his socks off and can make up for not scoring or a Heskey who makes up for it by making plenty more.

Anyhooo, it wasn't intended as a look at how wrong people were about Pitman, but I will happily come on and admit I'm wrong about him if he ever goes on to score 20+ in the Championship but I'm quietly confident I won't need to when you look at the quality of players who do get that amount - Rhodes, McCormack etc. As you say time will tell.

Just imagine what he could have got if he was there the whole season!

Not many get 35 any more. Prolific Super Bob only mustered 27 league goals.

Because he was out injured for the last nine games of the season.

He'd have got 30+ easily if he hadn't been injured against Crewe.

Because he was out injured for the last nine games of the season.

He'd have got 30+ easily if he hadn't been injured against Crewe.

Well true it didn't help, but the point still stands, players get injured, hence getting 35 league goals is rare as rocking horse shite in our leagues. His injury I am sure cost us the title.

I can't help but pipe up here. People seem to now be of the opinion that Gerken is Jesus between the sticks just because he's playing for Ipswich.

Let me set the record straight...

He was a liability for us. He had a good game against Forest once but for the rest of the time he couldn't catch and was well below par hence why he couldn't get in regularly ahead of the calamitous James.

There. Rant over.

What about Bolasie and former loan players Caulker and Rose all doing well in the Premier League ?

You've just lit the blue touch paper here I'm afraid...

Danny Rose is without doubt one of the least talented loanees I have ever seen at any football club. He was about as influential for us as Patrick Agyemang. Every time I see him turn out in the Premier League I quite simply cannot believe my eyes.

I'd rather have Jamal Campbell Ryce.

Fair play to Bolasie though and it was always evident Caulker would do very well.

You've just lit the blue touch paper here I'm afraid...

Danny Rose is without doubt one of the least talented loanees I have ever seen at any football club. He was about as influential for us as Patrick Agyemang. Every time I see him turn out in the Premier League I quite simply cannot believe my eyes.

I'd rather have Jamal Campbell Ryce.

Fair play to Bolasie though and it was always evident Caulker would do very well.

I agree Rose was poor for us but we never ever played him at left back which he said was his best position.

I thought the conversion to LB was post his time here? Was it not?

Thinking back you are probably correct. I do remember him saying his favourite position was left back but he was playing left midfield for both Spurs reserves and England under 21's. We do agree that he was a really poor loan signing but fair play to him he has developed into quite a decent left back.

Archived