IGNORED

The Gas Shit Squad: "firms" And What They Call Themselves...

Norwegian Red

...they really should "outsource" the naming and "brand identity" thing to someone literate, someone roughly what we might call "educated" (not a bookish nerd, but someone that has read some books, at least), someone with a turn of phrase and a bit of wit about them.

And someone with a broader cultural awareness than what comes from a limited upbringing in Kingswood/ Cadbury Heath/ and Little Stoke (the library in the Heath is only open 2 and a half days a week; Liddle Stoke hasn't got one; and there's never anyone in the Kingswood one, apart from old blokes having a sit down and a free paper).

"Hit" squad. I'm looking for the word that sums up their choice of that (where's a bookish nerd when you need one?) and I first thought it's a bit "camp," but that's not right. Then "naff," then "cringeworthy." None are quite bang on, anyone else find the word?

Maybe "Schoolboy," it's a bit schoolboyish, what a fourteen year old might call their gang. In 1974. Are they in The Top 40, the Gash Hit Squads??

Actually, I'm rather interested in the choice of "Squad" here and the interesting etymology (from the French, "esquade." And Italian "squadra," meaning 'battalion' that in Roman times would fight in a 'square,' (squadra) formation. Did they march down Winterstoke Rd in a square formation, or perhaps more of a diamond?)

So, squad is square, but also:

'A group of sports players from which a team is chosen.' (Oxford English Dictionary).

Are The GHS operating a rotational squad system? And if they are, was that their full-strength team, or a second-string mob with a few ringers/ loan signings/ academy pip-squeaks? Or in other words, were they treating us and/ or the JPT seriously, or as less important than their league two opponents??

There is much unanswered here. Any thoughts?

Actually, I'm rather interested in the choice of "Squad" here and the interesting etymology (from the French, "esquade." And Italian "squadra," meaning 'battalion' that in Roman times would fight in a 'square,' (squadra) formation. Did they march down Winterstoke Rd in a square formation, or perhaps more of a diamond?)

So, squad is square, but also:

'A group of sports players from which a team is chosen.' (Oxford English Dictionary).

Are The GHS operating a rotational squad system? And if they are, was that their full-strength team, or a second-string mob with a few ringers/ loan signings/ academy pip-squeaks? Or in other words, were they treating us and/ or the JPT seriously, or as less important than their league two opponents??

There is much unanswered here. Any thoughts?

Definitely there first choice squad, with few coming out of retirement just for this game,I think they have since retired as they can't cut it at this level anymore.

There are many notorious "Firms" around the country that we are all familiar with...but there's

a new kid on the block who is going to radically change peoples thinking towards the football hooligan

Having started watching city as a twelve year old, getting into the drinking and fighting and running in both directions

as an eighteen year old, only to retire at the ripe old age of 23, a few quid light because of fines i have decided

to come out of retirement at the age of 58 to lead the new elite in ultra hooliganism

All my boys will have to be at least 50, have dodgy joints ( and the occasional spliff ) a bald or shaved head will be compulsory,

neck tattoo's are optional, divorced or separated would be preferable though not essential...and you must get out of breath 

after swinging one punch, 

We will be known as.............THE INFIRM

There are many notorious "Firms" around the country that we are all familiar with...but there's

a new kid on the block who is going to radically change peoples thinking towards the football hooligan

Having started watching city as a twelve year old, getting into the drinking and fighting and running in both directions

as an eighteen year old, only to retire at the ripe old age of 23, a few quid light because of fines i have decided

to come out of retirement at the age of 58 to lead the new elite in ultra hooliganism

All my boys will have to be at least 50, have dodgy joints ( and the occasional spliff ) a bald or shaved head will be compulsory,

neck tattoo's are optional, divorced or separated would be preferable though not essential...and you must get out of breath 

I'm not bald, but I do have a grey beard. Will that do?

I'm "in" with The Infirm. Are you running a coach to Cawlchester? And will it have a toilet? If so, count me in.

And will The Infirm be run on a rotational "squad" thingy or will we have to "front up" every week?

I'm "in" with The Infirm. Are you running a coach to Cawlchester? And will it have a toilet? If so, count me in.

And will The Infirm be run on a rotational "squad" thingy or will we have to "front up" every week?

For you guys with mobility scooters we are hiring a coach with a tail lift.......and three toilets with extra wide dribble trays

rogerum here we come !

Good point......pretty doubtful...I would imagine zimer frames will be allowed

as long as the wing mirrors are removed

Is the mk 6 included,the ones with blue hand grips.

PS where the **** is this thread heading.

Archived