IGNORED

George Best Down The Gate...

I definately saw him play at the gate, whether it was in that friendly or for Fulham I couldn't say. I think Fulham had Best, Bobby Moore and a few other big names in their team at that time. Someone will come up with the correct info soon.

Such a game did exist I read about it in chris garland's autobiography Terry Cooper's young city team played a all star

team who George best represented city won 4-3 but George best scored for the all stars beating 2 players and john shaw

to score according to chris game was played in august 1982 just before the 82/83 season started as TC used the game

as a chance to access his young side.

Such a game did exist I read about it in chris garland's autobiography Terry Cooper's young city team played a all star

team who George best represented city won 4-3 but George best scored for the all stars beating 2 players and john shaw

to score according to chris game was played in august 1982 just before the 82/83 season started as TC used the game

as a chance to access his young side.

"chance to access his young side."

Got to give him "credit" there !

I watched that game, went with the landlord of my local who was from Manchester, who idolised Best, as we all did. Although he had put on a bit of timber, he was still quality then. cant remember what the game was in aid of( testimonial, fundraiser?), will have to dig out the program. If i remember rightly, his agent (Bill Mcmurdo?) also played some part.

Does anyone else remember Best playing in a friendly, pre-season 82ish. It was BCFC v an 'all star team'. I think it was a testimonial for Chris Garland. I remember TC, John Shaw etc for city, and Stan Bowles for the opposition. Anyone remember?

Where's your wife gone, Where's your wife gone, Where's your wiiiife gone Stanley Bowles.

He played a 'proper' game for Fulham at Eastville, but never at the Gate. Not aware that he played in a friendly, either, but it's not impossible.

I saw him for Fulham at Eastville, they had Rodney marsh and Alan Mullery back then too. I'm fairly sure- although stand to be corrected- he made his Fulham debut against us at Craven Cottage and scored after about 2 minutes.

I saw him for Fulham at Eastville, they had Rodney marsh and Alan Mullery back then too. I'm fairly sure- although stand to be corrected- he made his Fulham debut against us at Craven Cottage and scored after about 2 minutes.

I was there too.

Best player ever saw him score 2 make one at the old dell Southampton when I was 12 pitch was like a mud bath but they could not stop him he was pure class that day have never forgot it . also had my scarf with john galley wrote on it nicked bt some united fans !

I was there for that one too. Think it was later that season, last day, when United were away at Birmingham needing to win to clinch the title. Won 2-4 and Best was unstoppable, scored a couple I seem to remember.

Always remember a couple of years before when my dad was watching football on TV yelling at me to come into the front room to watch this fantastic new 'kid' that was playing for Man U. Those were the days.

"And you know what they said?"

Well some of it was true.

I was at that Fulham game as well mind. Used to get taken to the Gate and Eastville regularly by my mate's old man, but that didn't last too long. The contrast between the two clubs couldn't have been greater and the dye was soon cast :)

Archived