IGNORED

Andy Cole

TNBT

He never played for us if you ever listen to him speak, he played for Arsenal, then he went to somewhere, then Newcastle and Man Utd.

That's not just Cole though is it?  A lot of young potential England players at prem clubs get sent to get some match experience at lower league clubs, it's like an apprenticeship but they really want to be playing in the spotlight.  David Beckham played for Preston on loan IIRC but I've never heard him mention it.

Talking of odd did anybody else see that Sheff Utd turned down signing Maradona when he was 17?

That's not just Cole though is it?  A lot of young potential England players at prem clubs get sent to get some match experience at lower league clubs, it's like an apprenticeship but they really want to be playing in the spotlight.  David Beckham played for Preston on loan IIRC but I've never heard him mention it. Talking of odd did anybody else see that Sheff Utd turned down signing Maradona when he was 17?

Interesting bit of trivia. Ipswich turned down Gascoigne - too short (I recommend you double check that before quoting it) and Newcastle turned down Shearer, opting to play him in goal at his trial. Lineker's school teacher famously told him he'd never make a living out of football, of course. The Beatles were also turned down by a successful record label of the time, but my knowledge on that is hazy.

More typically, did you hear the City board of the day didn't negotiate a sell on clause for Cole?

Talking of odd did anybody else see that Sheff Utd turned down signing Maradona when he was 17?

They were offered the chance to sign Maradona when buying some other Argy (Alex Sabella?), forget who now, or so the story goes. Not sure Diego would have fancied it on a wet Tuesday night in November at Eastville, so it was probably for the best...

Was looking on wiki at all the players who have played for us and his names not on there from what I can see. If I'm right why not :-/

Because Wikipedia IMO is piss poor. Anyone can change it. Yet so many people use it to point out facts. If I see a link with Wikipedia in it I ignore it.

I remember vividly when Dennis Smith pulled this one out of the bag, Cole lit up Ashton Gate in the first match he played that was under lights, he was fantastic, but rumors have it that he was not popular in the dressing room. Was at the Swindon v Newcastle match on his debut, when he came on as a sub late in the game, the Geordies didn't know what a good player he was, especially coming from 'Bristol'.

That season both Swindon and Newcastle were promoted to the Prem, we won that day at Brum 1-0 and stayed up.

Still feel guilty for not being at St Andrews but had some complimentary tickets and took a mate, honest  ;)

Interesting bit of trivia. Ipswich turned down Gascoigne - too short (I recommend you double check that before quoting it) and Newcastle turned down Shearer, opting to play him in goal at his trial. Lineker's school teacher famously told him he'd never make a living out of football, of course. The Beatles were also turned down by a successful record label of the time, but my knowledge on that is hazy.

More typically, did you hear the City board of the day didn't negotiate a sell on clause for Cole?

My Personal favourite, when at Blackburn Kenny Dalglish asked Jack Walker for funds to sign Zidane, JAck Walker's response was something along the lines of "why do you need Zidane when we've got Tim Sherwood", hindsight is a wonderful thing

Archived