IGNORED

Ashton Gate Artist Impressions...

G Block

A brief google search suggests the average seat is 19 inches wide, so moving the pitch 5 metres is only ~10 seats maximum, if there's no gangway in the area. So I would guess filling in the whole of the corner would represent a fairly significant net increase, since the seats being removed wouldn't be particularly great.

You're not really grasping this are you?

Have a proper look at my pics, and then see if you still come to the same conclusion...

Yes I am entirely grasping it. I'm afraid basic maths beats Paint hands down.

Oh come now, do try to pull your head out from your arse just for a second. At least I've made an effort to explain. You have, however, stubbornly stuck to your hopelessly flawed 'logic' despite all the clear evidence set before you, if you chose to look.

Basic maths it indeed is.

Here is one last try.

To create the corner, around 800-1100 seats would need to be removed, with the new corner section providing seating for around the same.

Like you said, simple maths.

I like the fact the atyeo remains separate, despite it's awkward misaligned appearance. It may be small but will go some way towards retaining some much needed character as the gate will become bowlified to a degree.

It remains to be seen whether block H will still be used due to the horrendous view...perhaps someone went to the atyeo meeting could tell us?

Edit: just seen above DL confirmed the block will still have views. Can't be much cop though with the pitch 5m further away.

Should be along the same lines as 'The Valley' then..three sides connected,both corners fill'd in at one end and the stand at t'other end,well,free-standing...very similar also in capacity..think The Valley is one of the re-developed stadia that has a lot of character so I'm hopeful.

Should be along the same lines as 'The Valley' then..three sides connected,both corners fill'd in at one end and the stand at t'other end,well,free-standing...very similar also in capacity..think The Valley is one of the re-developed stadia that has a lot of character so I'm hopeful.

Totally.

So, explain this to me.

Let's say one of these properties is owned by someone in their 40s with absolutely no interest in ever selling. Hardly an unlikely scenario.

How does this theory work then?

I've heard this story several times, it just seems so far fetched to me.

Compulsory purchase order. Not sure if the development of AG would ever be seen as a benefit for the greater good as to go down that route... Probably not.

Oh come now, do try to pull your head out from your arse just for a second. At least I've made an effort to explain. You have, however, stubbornly stuck to your hopelessly flawed 'logic' despite all the clear evidence set before you, if you chose to look.

Basic maths it indeed is.

Here is one last try.

To create the corner, around 800-1100 seats would need to be removed, with the new corner section providing seating for around the same.

Like you said, simple maths.

Dear dear, reverting to pathetic insults. You are trying to tell me that when circa 10 rows are pulled out, turning the whole of that corner into seating would be the equivalent of 10 rows?

Dear dear, reverting to pathetic insults. You are trying to tell me that when circa 10 rows are pulled out, turning the whole of that corner into seating would be the equivalent of 10 rows?

It would be more than 10 rows. With the pitch moving there would be a sizeable chunk of the Atyeo that would need to be 'chopped off' in order to build a corner in. I think the point is that when you factor this in, you wouldn't necessarily gain a massive amount of new seats should the corner be filled in. Yes it might look better and would provide a better view than the seats in block H will, but capacity wise there might not be a huge increase. That's not to mention whether it's even possible to join the Atyeo and dolman because of the rake differences.

In fairness I think Manon knows what he's talking about with this. He did some pretty good homemade graphics about the stadium himself a few months back I believe. Could be mistaken!

In fairness I think Manon knows what he's talking about with this. He did some pretty good homemade graphics about the stadium himself a few months back I believe. Could be mistaken!

It would be more than 10 rows. With the pitch moving there would be a sizeable chunk of the Atyeo that would need to be 'chopped off' in order to build a corner in. I think the point is that when you factor this in, you wouldn't necessarily gain a massive amount of new seats should the corner be filled in. Yes it might look better and would provide a better view than the seats in block H will, but capacity wise there might not be a huge increase. That's not to mention whether it's even possible to join the Atyeo and dolman because of the rake differences.

If that's the case then fair enough; at the moment it's just a Paint job to illustrate the point, there is also the fact as touched upon elsewhere that the rake would make it look ridiculous when curved round to meet the Dolman. A stadium seat is little short of 50cm in width, so a move of 5m of the pitch doesn't affect a sizeable chunk.

Personally I don't like the Ag makeover, it is a terrible compromise, and has minimal scope for any development in the future. I know there is no choice and I have to accept this half arsed tart up.

Other than the Dolman's main structure and the Ateyo, everything, and I mean everything, within the site boundary of Ashton Gate will be demolished and rebuilt. The new Williams is huge and provides pretty much all of what the main stand at AV would have. The new Wedlock will provide the same facilities as AV and if anything will look better. The Dolman will get a new roof and there will be a continuous concourse around the three main stands. There will be under soil heating and a new desso pitch and the whole of the public realm will be dug up and re-developed. There will be executive boxes, a new bigger club shop, a pub, a coffee shop and a museum. There will also be conference facilities

In other words.......not a lot different to AV and hardly a "half arsed tart up"

The only clear difference will be the ability to readily expand should the need arise. We know the issues with the Ateyo but that would be the obvious and preferred option should we ever need to expand beyond 26,000, which, to be honest, is likely to be quite a few years off yet. By then, situations and scenarios may well have changed  

Had a feeling I might need to explain myself in more detail on this one!

Remember the pitch is moving 5 metres away from the dolman, and the lower tier will now extend to roughly where the present touch line is.

That will mean any corner section would be built further over as well, which would entail lopping off a great chunk of the current atyeo.

Bearing in mind that it would only be able to join with the dolman in the lower tier due to rake differential (and even that might not work), the depth of the corner section would be limited. Capacity would therefore remain largely the same.

Hope this makes sense.

Sort about the poor quality images, I've only had my phone to do them on.

capturezy.jpg

image_2014-04-09_114138.png

image_2014-04-09_114938.png

I think the problem with the bottom picture is there's a blooming great big RSV holding up the Dolman end of the Atyeo roof - I've pretty sure that would get in the way. There may also be a problem with the RSV holding the Dolman roof up being in the way also :-(

I've already stated that they are basic images done purely on my phone - They are by no means an accurate interpretation of roof construction!

Purely they were intended as a simple visual aid to illustrate the extent of the atyeo stand that overshoots the pitch already, and to show how the pitch and dolman lower will move.

The atyeo roof truss would remain. It wouldn't need to interfere, as it would still extend beyond the corner. The seating would only mesh with the lower tier of the dolman, so there would n't be the same problem seen at the other end.

Other than the Dolman's main structure and the Ateyo, everything, and I mean everything, within the site boundary of Ashton Gate will be demolished and rebuilt. The new Williams is huge and provides pretty much all of what the main stand at AV would have. The new Wedlock will provide the same facilities as AV and if anything will look better. The Dolman will get a new roof and there will be a continuous concourse around the three main stands. There will be under soil heating and a new desso pitch and the whole of the public realm will be dug up and re-developed. There will be executive boxes, a new bigger club shop, a pub, a coffee shop and a museum. There will also be conference facilities

In other words.......not a lot different to AV and hardly a "half arsed tart up"

The only clear difference will be the ability to readily expand should the need arise. We know the issues with the Ateyo but that would be the obvious and preferred option should we ever need to expand beyond 26,000, which, to be honest, is likely to be quite a few years off yet. By then, situations and scenarios may well have changed

100% spot on.

Yes, AV was the preferred option but the redeveloped AG is a more than adequate alternative. And as RedRaw has said, any talk about further redevelopment in the future is some way away! It's all ifs and buts at the moment and situations may well have changed.

I firmly believe that a redeveloped AG will give us a stadium we can be proud of and that, in SL's words, 'secures our long term future'.

So how can a land locked make over stadium ever be a long term solution, as I assume one day like our Welsh neighbours, we hope to get into the Prem.

It can't, and everybody knows it can't.

However, we need an improved stadium right now, and ideally it needs to be in Bristol. Bristol has shown itself unwilling to build a brand new stadium, so the choices are either:

1. Stick with the current ground, losing money every month, and fight to get AV built, which could take years and years.

2. Redevelop AG to meet our immediate needs and accept that we may face the same issue again in a few years.

We don't know what SL's plan is with the land at AV but if he's got real ambition for Bristol City then he'll be trying to keep the project alive in the background. By rebuilding Ashton Gate now he can address the immediate problem of the club haemoraging money, concentrate on developing the team and worry about building AV if and when it becomes necessary.

Although the chief argument against AV came from the NIMBYs simply not wanting it, they had a strong supporting case of "the club doesn't need a 30,000 seater stadium", which is true. However, if AG can bridge the club to the point where a 25,000 seat stadium is no longer sufficient then that argument no longer holds and the case for AV is stronger.

It's not the ideal approach to take, clearly, but to my mind it's the pragmatic course of action and if, as history suggests is probably quite likely, Bristol City doesn't hit the big time and instead spends the next 50 years muddling around in the middle two divisions, at least it won't have given up its historic home or location.

• Admin

It would be more than 10 rows. With the pitch moving there would be a sizeable chunk of the Atyeo that would need to be 'chopped off' in order to build a corner in.

If that's the case then fair enough; at the moment it's just a Paint job to illustrate the point, there is also the fact as touched upon elsewhere that the rake would make it look ridiculous when curved round to meet the Dolman. A stadium seat is little short of 50cm in width, so a move of 5m of the pitch doesn't affect a sizeable chunk.

capturezy.jpg

Looking at that picture it is clear that the WHOLE of H block would go, along with some if not all og G block.

B Block is probably also likely to go.

Can understand why putting in corners may not increase the capacity - would just make things look like a bowl.

If the Atyeo will become a complete away section, then maybe leaving it is for the best?

100% spot on.

Yes, AV was the preferred option but the redeveloped AG is a more than adequate alternative. And as RedRaw has said, any talk about further redevelopment in the future is some way away! It's all ifs and buts at the moment and situations may well have changed.

I firmly believe that a redeveloped AG will give us a stadium we can be proud of and that, in SL's words, 'secures our long term future'.

Spot on.

Lets wait until we have done the redevelopment and had some success on the pitch before we start talking about redeveloping the atyeo. Unless we get to the premier league there is no way we will need more than a 27k capacity for the majority of games!

Spot on.

Lets wait until we have done the redevelopment and had some success on the pitch before we start talking about redeveloping the atyeo. Unless we get to the premier league there is no way we will need more than a 27k capacity for the majority of games!

Not just get to the premier league but establish ourselves there too! No point if we just do a Blackpool and are there for one season!

I still feel this is a lost opportunity for Mr Lansdown to have a virtually brand new Ashton Gate. By rotating the pitch by 90 degrees you would get far bigger stands than the current plans, but at the fans consultation the architect dismissed it saying Lansdown wanted the redevelopment done as quick and cheap as possible. If he went for this it would have cost us as much as the new Ashton Vale sight.

This is the plan rotating pitch showing the old stands alongside the new to compare. Ignore the bit going into next door car park this was a mistake at the time.

aerialrotate1_zps7f71397f.png

Next plan showing how much space you would have. Also shows the little river.

aerialrotate1-Copy_zps72fbc78c.png

The last plan showing the little river being buried, and an access way on top. It has already been built under a road elsewhere so it wouldn't be a problem to do that. I slightly moved the whole ground upwards to make equal space between the houses.

aerialrotate1-Copy-Copy_zpscd05e05e.png

Scale planning of Ashton Gate as it is at the present moment. If you take the measurements from this original pitch it would work.

siteplans_zpsb90dac0e.png

Like I said a lost opportunity for us and the club to have a proper football stadium and not a bowl, with a silly looking atyeo at the end. This design would hold far more fans as well.

Wasn't this raised and it was concluded that the extra build time and logistics of people watching games when the pitch was being moved weren't worth it for a few thousand seats!?

Surely the stands couldn't be any higher anyway due to the houses around, no matter where they are placed!

Archived