IGNORED

Hail Caesar

where's the joy

Steve Johnson - had the nickname Rambo - appalling player

I always remember Steve Johnson being quite popular. I was in the corner of the enclosure by the EE at that time and that Rambo chant was booming out every match.

Looks like you're right though, only 17 (+8 sub.) apps, scoring just 3, then moved on to S****horpe after 16 months.

Wasn't it Ray Atteveld who signed from Everton for a good few quid, scored an OG in his first game, was sent off at Watford along with Aizlewood and Allison and we never saw him again?

Decent player but absolutely disastrous for us.

Not just any old OG either ciderup.

City were playing towards the East End and Atteveld was in posession in the centre circle in our half.

For no particular reason he turned round and played the ball back to our keeper.

When I say 'played it back' he actually connected with a ridiculous half volley that sailed into the top corner of the City net leaving the keeper - either Welch or Leaning - completely bamboozled and the crowd stunned.

From about 50 yards, and under no pressure at all.

That's how I remember it anyway.

Turn this around slightly and mention the worst player who has gone on to better things.

I give you Danny Rose who was flipping useless for us.  It gets my goat every time I hear he is playing for Spurs.

City were playing towards the East End and Atteveld was in posession in the centre circle in our half.

For no particular reason he turned round and played the ball back to our keeper.

When I say 'played it back' he actually connected with a ridiculous half volley that sailed into the top corner of the City net leaving the keeper - either Welch or Leaning - completely bamboozled and the crowd stunned.

Leaning I think

Always have said Gus Caesar whenever this thread appears but Nicky Hunt tops him now ,probably because my memory of G C is fading but Mr Hunts awful performances still quite horribly fresh in my mind .

How the hell does Danny Rose get a mention on this thread ,he wasnt great for us but was still quite raw ,did work hard and tackled back well ,could see he was much more a defender than any sort of winger even then.

Are you sure about that one. I remember Ray Atteveld scoring a 25 yard own goal away to Millwall at the Old Den. Absolute cracker it was

Now i remember this being shown on HTV, that ball cleared the keeper, hit the cross bar and came down the right side of the line, no goal. But it just about summed his time up with us that it was given as a goal.

On pure footballing ability, Bas Savage. But for me, he escapes the title overall due to giving 100% for us.

Last seen plying his trade in the Thai Premier League.

Had this sudden image of Bas Savage as a Thai Ladyboy - quite put me off my supper :(

I agree.

In off the bar iirc. I think youre right, that was against Millwall away and not on his debut at Ashton Gate.

:surrender:Bit of a mystery this, looks like I might have got it wrong and have started imagining horrendous City own goals in my rapidly approaching dotage.  

Sure I can picture a freak own goal by Atteveld at AG.

Unless he managed to notch 2 outrageous own goals in fairly quick succession?

Typical City, I remember thinking what a great signing Atteveld was going to be - Bristol City, The first 100 Years records he ended up playing a grand total of 9(+4 subs) apps., scoring 1 goal before moving on to FC Waregem.

No official record of his OG's unfortunately!!

:surrender:Bit of a mystery this, looks like I might have got it wrong and have started imagining horrendous City own goals in my rapidly approaching dotage.

Somebody on here will almost certainly remember exactly what happened on his debut. To be fair my memory ain't great so like I said I could be wrong. I'm 90ish% sure he scored a cracking own goal at the Old Den.

I remember his debut was disastrous, exactly as you said...he came to City with bags of top flight experience. I also thought he'd be a great signing. He might have scored an own goal on his debut but I'm sure I remember him (under no pressure whatsoever) turn back towards our Keeper near the half way line and put a really poor attempted back pass on a plate to an opposing striker who ran on and scored.

It is possible I'm thinking of someone else, 22 years ago now. I feel old.

... and yet totally tore us apart when playing for QPR against us

Sadly he never played for us though. Just sort of ambled about aimlessly.

I remember his RB interview when he started his loan here: "I'm quick, strong, try and bring others into play." 

Quick, only on a geological time scale....

Archived