IGNORED

Advanced Driver Training

RedRock

I know that the more you change gear it's gonna put wear on the clutch and gear box. You don't really no much about cars do you?

Any use of pretty much anything will produce wear, car or whatever...

You say excessive, not quite. If you know what you're doing, it won't be excessive. Very exaggerated.

And yea, I'm sure I know more about cars than you. Probs unlikely anyone else on this forum will actually know more than me when it comes to vehicle repair, technology and maintenance.

I'm like a car don, trust init.

Any use of pretty much anything will produce wear, car or whatever...

You say excessive, not quite. If you know what you're doing, it won't be excessive. Very exaggerated.

And yea, I'm sure I know more about cars than you. Probs unlikely anyone else on this forum will actually know more than me when it comes to vehicle repair, technology and maintenance.

I'm like a car don, trust init.

Well it's pretty obvious if you change down gears and I don't then your using your clutch twice as much as me so yours will need replacing sooner than mine.

When I accelerate I go up through the gears. I often miss 3rd out as that's not needed. I then coast as i'm braking. Brakes cost less than a clutch or gearbox.

Any one can say they are in expert to back up an arguement, doesn't mean they are! Cars are not currently designed to brake using the engine. In the future they will be but right now I class using the gear box and clutch instead of brakes is very much excessive. If twice as much isn't excessive to you then what is excessive?

Using an engine to brake is putting the engine under extra strain. You blow your engine up by making it work extra hatd and I will take car of mine and be gentle with it and enjoy many hours of trouble free motoring.

Well it's pretty obvious if you change down gears and I don't then your using your clutch twice as much as me so yours will need replacing sooner than mine.

How can you justify this? If one person generally drives short journeys and another mainly motorway driving, the lifespan of a clutch will vary person to person. What you say is invalid.

When I accelerate I go up through the gears. I often miss 3rd out as that's not needed. I then coast as i'm braking. Brakes cost less than a clutch or gearbox.

Yes, correct, in general, brake pads/discs/shoes cost less than transmission components - labour too. Coasting when braking is not advised. Vehicle stability is compromised when you're not in gear as traction is reduced. You should always be in gear, unless when at 'stand still'.

Any one can say they are in expert to back up an arguement, doesn't mean they are! Cars are not currently designed to brake using the engine. In the future they will be but right now I class using the gear box and clutch instead of brakes is very much excessive. If twice as much isn't excessive to you then what is excessive?

You're obviously not an expert as you clearly have no idea what you're on about, see your paragraph below. I, however am an expert and have 10 years trade experience with up-to-date knowledge. I actually teach Automotive studies bruv. At like a real college and everything!

Using an engine to brake is putting the engine under extra strain. You blow your engine up by making it work extra hatd and I will take car of mine and be gentle with it and enjoy many hours of trouble free motoring.

You're not putting the engine under strain, unless you don't know what you're doing - such as dropping down to 3rd gear in 70MPH. There is a reason for the 'redline' on your rev counter....

Blow your engine up? Do you even know what that means and how to relate it to 'torque braking'? Again, spouting poo poo there! You don't have to be 'gentle' with your vehicle to get the most out of it.

You're susceptible to premature vehicle issues by being 'gentle'. But I'll let you look that one up.

Had to rip you one as you're obvs not sure what you're on about.

Look at the future of braking, it's called 'regenerative braking' AND guess how this works to stop the vehicle?!?!

THE ENGINE!

Boom ting - game, set, match and goodbye :)

Had to rip you one as you're obvs not sure what you're on about.

Look at the future of braking, it's called 'regenerative braking' AND guess how this works to stop the vehicle?!?!

THE ENGINE!

Boom ting - game, set, match and goodbye :)

Formula one is at the forefront of this new technology and even they are struggling with it. The technology in those cars are years away from being in road cars which is what you are suggesting is already happening which is simply not the case. Don't need to look up anything as i'm fully upto date with the latest technology in formula one which is light years ahead of anything you may teach in your made up job Those power units are designed for 'regenerative braking' the standard 10 year old road car is not.

In F1 they only have 5 PU'S a season, soon to go down to 4. Each engine has to last 4 races, to make them last they have to be gentle on them, bit according to you going gentle on their PU's is gonna give them premature vehicle issues is it? Think they know far more than you Jimbo.

Formula one is at the forefront of this new technology and even they are struggling with it. The technology in those cars are years away from being in road cars which is what you are suggesting is already happening which is simply not the case. Don't need to look up anything as i'm fully upto date with the latest technology in formula one which is light years ahead of anything you may teach in your made up job Those power units are designed for 'regenerative braking' the standard 10 year old road car is not.

"The technology in those cars are years away from being in road cars which is what you are suggesting is already happening which is simply not the case." What the hell you on about?!

Why are you even mentioning F1 now? It's got nothing to do with anything we're on about.

How much revolutionary technology has been transferred from a F1 vehicle to your contemporary road vehicle?! Still, it's beside the point.

Forefront I technology?

So from that I assume you mean that F1 are the pioneers of road vehicles. Haha!!!! Stick to Fast & Furious/Need for Speed.

My made up job? Ok.

You might think you're up to date, but judging from the above, you know **** all. You clearly have a lot to learn if you wanna know what you're on about.....

In F1 they only have 5 PU'S a season, soon to go down to 4. Each engine has to last 4 races, to make them last they have to be gentle on them, bit according to you going gentle on their PU's is gonna give them premature vehicle issues is it? Think they know far more than you Jimbo.

Again, why are you randomly trying to latch onto F1 techno which has next to nothing to do with everyday engines on light vehicles? Let alone this thread...

We're on about braking techniques, not blabbering on trying to express automotive knowledge and randomly mentioning F1 techno for no reason.

"The technology in those cars are years away from being in road cars which is what you are suggesting is already happening which is simply not the case." What the hell you on about?!

Why are you even mentioning F1 now? It's got nothing to do with anything we're on about.

How much revolutionary technology has been transferred from a F1 vehicle to your contemporary road vehicle?! Still, it's beside the point.

Forefront I technology?

So from that I assume you mean that F1 are the pioneers of road vehicles. Haha!!!! Stick to Fast & Furious/Need for Speed.

My made up job? Ok.

You might think you're up to date, but judging from the above, you know **** all. You clearly have a lot to learn if you wanna know what you're on about.....

You entered into the subject of regenerative braking, F1 cars are at the front of that atm hense why I brought F1 into it. If you think F1 cars have nothing to do with road cars then you truly are clueless.

Again, why are you randomly trying to latch onto F1 techno which has next to nothing to do with everyday engines on light vehicles? Let alone this thread...

We're on about braking techniques, not blabbering on trying to express automotive knowledge and randomly mentioning F1 techno for no reason.

Merc and Honda have rejoined F1 simply because of the new regulations and how that new technology can transfer to their road vehicles. But obv your more qualified than some of the biggest engine manafactures in the world.

Developments in F1 are being put to use in many modern road cars."The involvement of F1 in research into engines, electronics and regenerative braking systems will drive such developments forward."And will speed up the introduction of environmental technologies which will filter back to mass-production passenger cars," explains Ross Brawn, Mercedes AMG F1 team principal.

But as you teach at a collage you are obviously far far more qualified than the mighty Ross Brawn. He has been team principle for many teams, even owned his own team and has won various world championships. He says F1 development translates into the road car then we have you who teaches at a collage and says F1 has nothing to do with road cars. Of course you are right and he is wrong, Think you need to squat up on new tech for the sake of your students!!

Developments in F1 are being put to use in many modern road cars."The involvement of F1 in research into engines, electronics and regenerative braking systems will drive such developments forward."And will speed up the introduction of environmental technologies which will filter back to mass-production passenger cars," explains Ross Brawn, Mercedes AMG F1 team principal.

But as you teach at a collage you are obviously far far more qualified than the mighty Ross Brawn. He has been team principle for many teams, even owned his own team and has won various world championships. He says F1 development translates into the road car then we have you who teaches at a collage and says F1 has nothing to do with road cars. Of course you are right and he is wrong, Think you need to squat up on new tech for the sake of your students!!

As Ross's employment is dependent upon motor manufacturers pumping lots of money into racing I would suggest that he does not have an unbiased view on this.

SAAB always made a big deal about their also making aeroplanes; despite it having zero to do with their road cars that you actually bought.

As Ross's employment is dependent upon motor manufacturers pumping lots of money into racing I would suggest that he does not have an unbiased view on this.

SAAB always made a big deal about their also making aeroplanes; despite it having zero to do with their road cars that you actually bought.

The billions and billions pumped into motorsport is a good thing for road cars. Obviously the money gets pumped in to try and be the best, the money gets spent on research and development. Gear boxes, disc brakes, traction control, tyres, roll cages, carbon fibre and even fuel are just some examples of the technology motorsport has developed and is now in our cars. Every road car will have something in it that has come from motorsport however little. Safety being the biggest one. Rear view mirrors came from motorsport.

I disagree about SAAB, alot of formula one technology comes from the aeroplane industry, more so the aero side as the same principles apply. The order goes like road cars > motorsport >aeroplanes

Without the billions imvested into motorsport to gain that fraction of a second our road cars wouldn't be what they are today.

I've heard this before but not understood it.

I drive a diesel and I know that if you don;t do the odd long run then the DPF gets clogged but I don't think that's what is being referred to. So what is?

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter. NOT anything to do with F1 by the way  :thumbsup:

The DPF sits pretty much at the very 'front end' of your exhaust system. It's designed to prevent soot and certain particles from clogging up and defective further exhaust components.

By running a diesel 'gently' - you risk clogging up the DPF. 2 main reasons, exhaust temperature not sufficient to create combustion to eliminate the soot/particle build. Also, you're not creating regular (sufficient) pressure to flush the DPF. The DPF being clogged or not flushed when driving is one of the few causes for black smoke on diesels.

In basic term, you're best getting good use of the turbo as it will assist DPF performance - but only when the engine is up to temperature as your oil fed turbo bearings won't be well lubricated :)

Hopefully makes sense.

Just bare in mind, if anyone has a common rail diesel, you need to look after it and get your service components replaced WHEN DUE. Don't leave it late, like you can do (to a certain extent) on petrol ran engines.

Such as a dirty air filter can create odd oil leaks in diesels. Or a dirty fuel filter can do your fuel pump, lines and injectors in quick time. Whereas a petrol may run 'rough' with these issues, a diesel will create extensive faults with components!

I can tell I'm trying to educate pork here so I will leave you with your wrong opinions. Just Google F1 technology in road cars and you will see for yourself, you are wrong. The regulations were changed for the benefit of road cars.

Yes you're right F1 didn't invent this new technology however they are taking it to the next level. Hence why Mercedes and Honda have returned to F1 as they know it will help in their road vehicle industry and by just being involved in F1 the manufactures will sell more road cars. Since Pirelli have been back in F1 their sales have rocketed.

According to you F1 has **** all to do with road cars, you sir are so wrong I'm sat here laughing my ass off at you.

For starters, you're more illiterate than pork - but don't worry I have corrected just this one post above. A prime example of being dumber than pork. Feel free to laugh.....

My (correct) opinions still stand:

Forefront I technology? 

And

Why are you randomly trying to latch onto F1 techno which has next to nothing to do with everyday engines on light vehicles?

I don't think you get my point, but oh well.

McLaren f1 diesel.

What about it?

What does a McLaren branded road vehicle have to do with my previous post in reply to Eddie H?!?

You're randomly mentioning a diesel road vehicle which is not a 'F1' vehicle, numpty.

It's a road car with no Formula 1 related diesel techno. Why even call it "McLaren f1 diesel."?

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

For starters, you're more illiterate than pork - but don't worry I have corrected just this one post above. A prime example of being dumber than pork. Feel free to laugh.....

My (correct) opinions still stand:

Forefront I technology?

And

Why are you randomly trying to latch onto F1 techno which has next to nothing to do with everyday engines on light vehicles?

I don't think you get my point, but oh well.

What about it?

What does a McLaren branded road vehicle have to do with my previous post in reply to Eddie H?!?

You're randomly mentioning a diesel road vehicle which is not a 'F1' vehicle, numpty.

It's a road car with no Formula 1 related diesel techno. Why even call it "McLaren f1 diesel."?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I'm typing on a phone but if you want to use that to win a debate then your very sad indeed.

Despite you being a 'expert' you can't see what f1 and other motorsports have done for the average road car. I could list all the technologies f1 has either developed or refined that is now used in road cars but wouldn't want to highlight how clueless you are. The biggest examples being safety, tyres, fuel and aero yet f1 has nothing to do with road cars according to you.

You said it had nothing to do with f1 in your post so I highlighted an instance where it is indirectly connected to f1 as the McLaren group started as an f1 team. Take a look at McLaren applied technologies to see how McLaren are taking what they have learned in f1 and applying that to other things.

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter. NOT anything to do with F1 by the way  :thumbsup:

The DPF sits pretty much at the very 'front end' of your exhaust system. It's designed to prevent soot and certain particles from clogging up and defective further exhaust components.

By running a diesel 'gently' - you risk clogging up the DPF. 2 main reasons, exhaust temperature not sufficient to create combustion to eliminate the soot/particle build. Also, you're not creating regular (sufficient) pressure to flush the DPF. The DPF being clogged or not flushed when driving is one of the few causes for black smoke on diesels.

In basic term, you're best getting good use of the turbo as it will assist DPF performance - but only when the engine is up to temperature as your oil fed turbo bearings won't be well lubricated :)

Hopefully makes sense.

Just bare in mind, if anyone has a common rail diesel, you need to look after it and get your service components replaced WHEN DUE. Don't leave it late, like you can do (to a certain extent) on petrol ran engines.

Such as a dirty air filter can create odd oil leaks in diesels. Or a dirty fuel filter can do your fuel pump, lines and injectors in quick time. Whereas a petrol may run 'rough' with these issues, a diesel will create extensive faults with components!

Thanks, I do the distances but don't put my foot down much so it sounds like I should be doing that more often to get the turbo to kick in.

I always get it serviced when due but it sounds that you're saying if I didn't have diesel and went back to petrol I could be more relaxed about it. That's worth knowing.

Thanks, I do the distances but don't put my foot down much so it sounds like I should be doing that more often to get the turbo to kick in.

I always get it serviced when due but it sounds that you're saying if I didn't have diesel and went back to petrol I could be more relaxed about it. That's worth knowing.

My understanding if you do the mileage dpf will be fine. If you don't (why the hell anyone buys a diesel if they do less than 16-18k is beyond me) then you need to take it out and get the speed and revs up a bit and you should be fine.

Archived