IGNORED

City Vs Blackpool April 15Th 1989

myol'man

Who can remember being at Ashton Gate that day as the terrible news came through from Hillsborough.

3.07pm match abandoned, we all thought 'crowd trouble' at first but as the afternoon went on the news just got worse and worse.

We lost 2-1 at home to Blackpool that day. The result didn't matter by the time the final whistle blew.

RIP 96

Didn't go that day. Remember watching the BBC news flash and feeling very sober for the rest of the day.

Was truly shocking.

In those days though there was no wall to wall coverage. Just the normal bulletins with a few news flashes. Very different now.

Remember being in the East End and some guy with a pocket radio, stood just in front of us, saying the game had been held up. As the OP says, everyone's first thoughts were that it was crowd trouble and it was assumed that it was another Heysel situation.

By half time the picture had become a bit clearer but it wasn't until I got home that evening that I realised just how bad it was. A tragic day for sure.

RIP

I've always thought I was at Ashton Gate that day but thought I must have been confused with being there when Bradford happened as well because I presumed an FA Cup Semi Final wouldn't be on at the same time as league games, but I guess that's more of a modern phenomenon.

It was both disasters that I remember being in the East End with all sorts of rumours spreading around about what was going on and getting back to the car to hear the full story on the radio. Horrible days.

Remember standing in the East End with the usual lot, where we all initially thought crowd trouble had caused it.

Bloke with a little transistor radio kept on giving updates and pretty soon knew it was bad.

Remember the next time we played at Hillsborough and looking down from the seats on to the terracing. Very eerie and still feel for the families who suffer from the consequences each day and will for the rest of their lives.

Yes, I remember walking away from the Dolman towards the park and hearing the old chap on the tannoy saying the match had been abandoned and there had been some fatalities, exactly the same as four years earlier after the Bradford fire. I remember after both incidents thinking to myself that people just like me had set off that day to watch their team play and would never come home. Tragic days indeed that must never happen again.  

The bloke on the tannoy at the gate definitely announced this as 'crowd trouble' sometime during the first half.

That's how I remember it Sleepy.

I was sat in the back of the Williams, bored to tears as we were even more crap than usual when the word went around like wild fire that the scousers had 'kicked off' at the semi final. Soon afterwards, an announcement was made over the tannoy and radio's around the ground were getting the true horror of what was going on.

I remember being in the Williams with a few mates when it happened but wouldn't have remembered who we were playing as the events in Sheffield took over everyones' thoughts.

A week or so later, I travelled to Anfield with a rovers supporting friend to lay some flowers and was totally shaken by the whole memorial, a truly tragic event.

R.I.P the 96. YNWA.

I will never forget it as it happened on my 30th birthday. I went with my late father-in-law and can remember hearing at the ground that people had died, but didn't know until much later how many. Although I went out for a celebratory meal with my wife that night, it left me with a shallow feeling. It has always left me feeling a bit guilty for the last 25 years that while I celebrate another year gone by, the families of the 96 remember today's date for all the wrong reasons. 

I was listening to a BBC local radio station who just kept repeating the cup game was delayed. I put on the TV and saw those images being beamed out and thought "Don't they share news? Hasn't anyone at the studio put a TV on?

It was noticeable on the Monday morning at work that no one discussed the weekend's sport.

No, I am fairly certain that it was the Bradford fire that the crowd trouble was announced. It was only when I had got home that the awful truth dawned.

Maybe you're right and it was a long time ago but I specifically remember (or mis-remember) the announcement at about 3:15-3:20, and was appalled to find out later that they could 'confuse' crowd trouble with that tragedy even at an early stage. That kind of attitude was par for the course at that time - something which no doubt contributed to the scale of disaster.

Archived