IGNORED

Memories Of The Hatters

cityexile

Nil nil draw at Kenilworth Road in the 75/76 promotion season. Jimmy Mann thumped the bar from 30 yards with a typical SuperMann special.

I think it was the same season against Luton when a City fan was left fighting for his life after the infamous pre match meat cleaver attack in the Open End at AG.

I was there, remember the Jimmy Mann thunderbolt very well. The game was on ITV The Big Match on the Sunday afternoon as well. The days when there was just one main match and highlights from one or two others - being a second division game that was very unusual.

I also recall a number of very large Luton fans appearing on the terraces among the City lads, as a 12 year old just yards away from the resulting fracas it was, well, interesting.

The attack on the City fans either preceded or succeeded, not sure which, the incident where a City fan appearing in court for an attack on a Luton lad claimed he'd "tripped over his head". Think he nevertheless got 3 months for his clumsiness.

Late 60s / early 70s and each ITV region showed highlights of a Saturday local game on Sunday afternoons.

City had gone to Luton, 1-0 down at half time and won 3-1. On the Sunday Anglia showed the Luton v City game whilst HTV gave us.....Spurs!

Loads of City fans wrote in to ITV asking for the goals to be shown again the following week, but the appeal was turned down. Brain Glanville announced, "I'm sure HTV will have shown you those goals"

Another memory is City losing 5-0 there when Luton were on their way to a promotion and being made fun of by members of the Thames Valley Constabulary.

One thing is sure, City v Luton, home or away, is always so hard to predict the result. Their Chairman on BBC "Look East" this evening was saying he's so pleased for the 10,000 fans who turn up each week. That could be embarrassing for the home team when they go away next season to a team with "crowds" of just 4,000.

Nil nil draw at Kenilworth Road in the 75/76 promotion season. Jimmy Mann thumped the bar from 30 yards with a typical SuperMann special.

I think it was the same season against Luton when a City fan was left fighting for his life after the infamous pre match meat cleaver attack in the Open End at AG.

Was there City boys were not a happy bunch remember the City mob chasing the Luton Fans through Bemmie

Not a memory obviously but it's worth mentioning that luton once beat the gas 12-0 a guy called Joe Payne scored 10

It's a memory for me. I first heard about this over 30 years ago and have never forgotten it. (How could I forget something so wonderful?)

I remember getting there for an FA cup game and it being called off when we arrived!

Just left home for re-arranged game - and heard on radio, that too was called off!

Went to actual game - and lost 2:0? Matt Bryant sent off?

You were lucky

Got to a pub in Hemel Hempsted for the 1st game that got called of Left pub 11 that night

2nd called of game Same pub Landlord let about a dozen of us sleep on the floor for the night

Never did get to see a game there

Went there in late 2000 when we beat them 3-0, very strange ground...entrance to the away end between terraced houses, walk up the stairs above people's gardens plus no pubs (that we could find) for miles around. We began that season badly but we had really started to turn things around by then.

Couple of weeks later we beat the Gas in the 3-2 derby at Ashton Gate. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Despise the Club - the ground, the fans and some of the players

The ground - walking through some old dears back garden to get the the away end, then seeing a line of beach chalets down the left hand side.

the fans - 5 nil wasn't enough for them, my son and I were abused all the way back to the Station

the players - that cretin Kevin Nichols doing an "El Bad" on flapper every time there was a corner and then winding us up after his pen. during the notorious 5 nil.

Nah. Sink back into the slime again quickly Luton.

Late 60s / early 70s and each ITV region showed highlights of a Saturday local game on Sunday afternoons.

City had gone to Luton, 1-0 down at half time and won 3-1. On the Sunday Anglia showed the Luton v City game whilst HTV gave us.....Spurs!

Loads of City fans wrote in to ITV asking for the goals to be shown again the following week, but the appeal was turned down. Brain Glanville announced, "I'm sure HTV will have shown you those goals"

Another memory is City losing 5-0 there when Luton were on their way to a promotion and being made fun of by members of the Thames Valley Constabulary.

One thing is sure, City v Luton, home or away, is always so hard to predict the result. Their Chairman on BBC "Look East" this evening was saying he's so pleased for the 10,000 fans who turn up each week. That could be embarrassing for the home team when they go away next season to a team with "crowds" of just 4,000.

You're right mate,  it was 3-1 not 3-2 as I put earlier, a mate who I'd gone to the game with wrote to ITV about seeing the goals

on the Big Match, we never did, Gillies goal was a stunner!, wonder if it's out there anywhere?

Was there City boys were not a happy bunch remember the City mob chasing the Luton Fans through Bemmie

The lad who was stabbed was from Withywood, his brother pointed out who'd done it, he went to court and got off 

with it

A lot of knives etc at games in those days.

Went there in late 2000 when we beat them 3-0, very strange ground...entrance to the away end between terraced houses, walk up the stairs above people's gardens plus no pubs (that we could find) for miles around. We began that season badly but we had really started to turn things around by then.

Couple of weeks later we beat the Gas in the 3-2 derby at Ashton Gate. Seems like a lifetime ago.

I noticed that when I visited Luton in the 70's. Are there no pubs in Luton?

Reviews of Luton pubs:

"One of the dirtiest pubs on the planet. No hot water (hardly call it running water); rarely any soap or hand towels. Often no toilet paper. The tenant is a miserable money grabbing, "Brit hating" plastic Pole. The regulars deserve better. ..."

"The women in Chicago's are so old that the last one I pulled invited me back to her warden controlled flat. ..."

"the Coopers was a traditional pub, now its a gay bar. ..."

"A large contingent of EDL members congregate here,thus the atmosphere is intimidating .Very expensive and the pool table is shoved away in a corner,beside the ladies lavatories! Unfriendly atmosphere. ..."

Lovely place!

Horrible place. You won't find a bus company doing sight seeing tours here.

Hotchpotch ground with boxes down one side of the ground.

The first few rows of seats are below ground level so you view the match through some beached whale of a steward.

As the rows of seats are so close to one another you always damage your shins when you stand up.

Give me the biggest rovers in the south west - Forest Green Rovers, any time.

I noticed that when I visited Luton in the 70's. Are there no pubs in Luton?

I was told that Kenilworth Road is in a large Muslim community. Whether this is true or even if its the reason for the apparent lack of pubs, I couldn't tell you. Me and some mates walked a fair distance from the ground before we found a pub that was used by home and away fans in separate rooms.

I suspect someone will probably tell me though that there are actually several pubs near the ground and we just went the wrong way after getting off the coach. It was the last time I used CATS iirc.

Kin orrible place...

Although I can understand a few of the "quaint" features of the ground being appealing however being made to sit with your knees up round your ears is not one of them....I suppose entering through someone's back yard is.....(ooh er missus)

Recall one game where a group of their "boys" were "giving it large" all through the game then at the final whistle stood up & waved goodbye

Home town of the BNP is it not? ..... many reasons around there for why they formed I guess...

Pig of a town, joke of a ground, vile support. Was rather hoping they never got out of non-league.

I remember driving around for ages trying to find a pub , it really is a hole.

One year a mate had his RS Turbo broken into ,  but they were too dumb to nick it. They smashed the steering lock only had to turn the key with a screwdriver and they could have driven away..... like we had to. 

Archived