IGNORED

Survival And Perspective...

spudski

It's great we are not going down and people are feeling happy...

SC has come in and achieved survival...objective done.

However...I think we have to put things into perspective and not see it as so black and white....and start thinking about what is yet to come....

SC came in and had some indifferent results to start with... Good and bad...which is normal with incoming Managers.

We had an awful January...No wins...3 draws...3 losses.

SC used the opportunity in January to bring players in...the purse strings were released for him.

He brought in 5 loans, most older experienced pros...ages 33, 23, 26, 28 and 35... and signed a 29 year old, on a 3 and half year deal.

Since then... as should be expected with the experience we have here now...results have improved.

So SC has achieved the 'Short term' goal of survival.

SC has also been contracted on a 3 and half year deal.

So lets see how we now kick on him under him.

Regardless of what went on before SC's arrival...it has been a short term fix again.

How good we do next season is all going to depend on who is released and who we keep.

We are stuck with El Abd's long contract on very good wages. He's been awful for us...and I can't see him playing for the first team again...so unless we can find a team to pay a few grand towards his wages and go on loan...then he's going to take a big chunk out of the salary for next season.

As I understand it... Barnett is a pretty much a done deal...I wish it wasn't...he's yet to prove himself here.

Paterson is seen as a replacement for Baldock...who will have interest, and would be released if the fee is good enough.

Wade Elliott is 35...but has been damn good, as expected at this level. I'd love to have him here next season...but again a years contract would be a short term fix.

Nosworthy is 33...again good at this level...but too old for me... we need to think of the future.

Cunningham will get interest and would most likely be released if the fee is good to release wage funds. I'm sure we could find someone on less wages to fill his role well.

Yes we have survived...but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We've done it using loans, and old pros with experienced heads at this level...players towards the end of their careers.

Hopefully the board and manager will realise this...and we can kick on next season with some experience and youth.

I can see the squad sort of looking like this next season...

Moore/Fielding

Osborne....Williams... Another

Pack

Wagstaff Kelly W Elliott Cunningham/Another

Jet

Patterson/Barnett

With Maloney, Reid, Burns, Bryan, Wynter ( who is being primed as a wing back ) being part of the first team squad. With Morrell pushing as well....

I see Gillett, Nosworthy ( maybe ), Flint, Fontaine, Carey, Pearson, M Elliott all being released or tried to be got rid of.

I'm really looking to seeing how we develop over the summer already...another rollercoaster ride with BCFC again...hopefully this time around we've learned from our mistakes and don't just go for a season to season approach.

COYR's

If this is our squad next year we will be relegated!!

What sums this forum up right now, is the fact fans (4500 views approx.) would rather view a discussion based on the gas being relegated than our own future,,,,very sad....

Judging by the high number of 'guests' reading that thread I imagine a large number of those views are from residents of Cadbury Heath not just City fans.

Ermmm yes, you are right. I was right yet again...it's not about being smug...it's about sharing...

However im over this now...thought i could put a few things out their..but  I keep getting pished on...so I give up.

What sums this forum up right now, is the fact fans (4500 views approx.) would rather view a discussion based on the gas being relegated than our own future,,,,very sad....

I think some of us are just having a bit of light hearted fun at the squatters expense (whilst fully expecting them to somehow get out of their current predicament) after a tortuous few seasons supporting our own club to be honest.

And the fact that we are partaking in and/or viewing that discussion does not preclude us from having strong opinions on the state of our own club and what should and/or could be done to improve things, as can be seen by comments on the various City related topics on the forum. I suppose something we might be guilty of is not taking ourselves too seriously and believing in our own self-inflated level of intelligence.

That all we have done is not relegated is true, and SC had that as his priority, and achieved it. i do not think he has ever said we are anywhere near a promotion side, indeed he says it will take a few years to get the squad into shape. Put into perspective, we are missing 40 points and another 50 positive goal difference. The only error he has made , in my view is El Bad. But I think he has realised that himself. With all loan players gone, players out of contract, and JET and SB in final years of their contracts, SC has a huge summer challenge to get a half decent side together. 

Agreed. I was scoffed at for suggesting we need at least half a dozen new players to get this squad into shape and that it might take more than a season to achieve this. But that is where I believe us to be at present. The hard work for Steve Cotterill is not over, it's just begun  - but will over expectant fans be patient enough to allow the present Manager to build a side that we can be happy with?

Agreed. I was scoffed at for suggesting we need at least half a dozen new players to get this squad into shape and that it might take more than a season to achieve this. But that is where I believe us to be at present. The hard work for Steve Cotterill is not over, it's just begun  - but will over expectant fans be patient enough to allow the present Manager to build a side that we can be happy with?

if there are signs of progress on the pitch and no long runs without a win then most will be happy,

just let spudski continue to cry over the worst manager in the history of the club,

he's already shown what a small minded person he is and that he has a agenda against those in charge at the club

he always posts these threads when the club starts to do reasonably well always states there is dressing room unrest and all is not well with his countless contacts yet still fails to produce a single bit of evidence to back it up

I have a feeling El Abd will turn it around next season, lets not forget the bloke has never been anywhere else other than Brighton, a few new faces in the summer means he will no longer be the new boy, and he may relax a little , he just seems nervous to me, and yes I get nervous when the ball goes anywhere near him at present.

But I really do think after a decent pre season he will be a different player for us next season.

I have a feeling El Abd will turn it around next season, lets not forget the bloke has never been anywhere else other than Brighton, a few new faces in the summer means he will no longer be the new boy, and he may relax a little , he just seems nervous to me, and yes I get nervous when the ball goes anywhere near him at present.

But I really do think after a decent pre season he will be a different player for us next season.

Ditto. I'm really hoping its just a bit of newbie posturing and playing up to his hard-man/wind-up merchant reputation. Don't forget also that he came into the club at a difficult time for everyone.

I'll base my opinion of him based on next seasons performances...and then slag him off :me?:

I have a feeling El Abd will turn it around next season, lets not forget the bloke has never been anywhere else other than Brighton, a few new faces in the summer means he will no longer be the new boy, and he may relax a little , he just seems nervous to me, and yes I get nervous when the ball goes anywhere near him at present.

I got feeling El Abd will become good next season given the chance, I think he's found it hard to settle so far with everyone on his case. Fair play to Cotterill for taking him out the firing line as some managers would stuck with someone they'd signed.

Archived