IGNORED

Big Fish Little Pond ?

Major Isewater

We were all ecstatic when we got promoted to the Championship however apart from out first season ,let's be honest,it was n't great .

Are we better off being a relatively large fish in a smaller pond ,were we normally win more than we lose or is it better to struggle in the league above with the big boys ?

Wass think ?

judging on this season, I would go no where near suggesting we are a big fish in a small pond. This season, realism has smacked us in the face and it has been what we needed. The 'we are a big club' attitude needs to stop for us to be able to progress. I'm hoping we will go into next season with optimism but also with realism that it wont be as easy as we first thought.

What I would say we are is a growing club with great ambition.

We were all ecstatic when we got promoted to the Championship however apart from out first season ,let's be honest,it was n't great .

Are we better off being a relatively large fish in a smaller pond ,were we normally win more than we lose or is it better to struggle in the league above with the big boys ?

Wass think ?

Little fish can turn into big fish and my little pond in my garden was massive during January & Feb' and it is now little again!!!!!! so things can change

Wass think ?

You have to ask yourself why it wasn't great for us...

If you were to ask any football fan worth his salt...'which football Club given it's owner, money ( in the past now FFP ), potential support etc,etc, were the biggest under achievers?'....we would come out near the top.

It's incredulous considering all the years we've been a Professional outfit, and the owners, managers, players we've had...that we haven't done better.

I still believe... a view based on conversations with ex managers and players...that have all implied the same thing...that it is all down to the Club not being set up in the past to run like a Professional FOOTBALL club.

Very basic stuff tbh....

For example....how the hell can you expect to be good and find potential players if you only have one scout?

Things maybe changing for the better now...and perhaps were are waking up from a ridiculous amount of time slumbering.

However...given all the resources we've had in the past... this Club imho should be at least a top half settled Championship Club.

We need to accept we aren't very big like clubs like Wolves, Leeds, Forest, Blackburn, Derby or Leicester. But what always concerns me is how a minority of our supporters think we are something big when we havent won a major trophy, we have never been in the prem and have only 9 years top flight experience. Expectations need to lower before we make real progress

I genuinely think our biggest downfall was almost getting to the Premiership in our first season of trying in the Championship. Yes it was great fun at the time but it hugely raised expectations and some considered it failure when the following season we couldn't recreate the push.

If only we had just stayed up comfortably and established ourselves for a few seasons, I know we did for a while but that first season was always there hanging over us. It cost us several managers and a whole heap of trouble. Yes attention was elsewhere to with changes in the boardroom etc and of course the ground.

Maybe we were being greedy, wishing for the moon and the stars when we should only have been content with the Championship. I would have swopped any league game this year for just one game up there again, yes even Barnsley would have been better than most in League 1.

I don't think I fully understood how close we were to the Premiership at the time and what it really would have meant. I would be quite happy in the Championship if we are able to get there again soon, and I will be certainly careful what I wish for.

I'm not disrespecting anyone in League 1 nor do I think we have the divine right to be top, but to be honest league 1 has been bloody awful, I've hated it this season. Much worse than I thought it would be, not just our results but the standard, the fans,lack of tv coverage etc. I can't wait to climb out.

I think that's allowing the last couple of seasons to cloud the whole spell. Yes, the first season was definitely the high point but we were still extremely competitive in the second and the third had high points. Even the final season saw us hammer Cardiff and Palace at home.

The second half of the spell was a bit of a slog but for the first three years it genuinely felt like we could compete at the top of the division and I enjoyed that.

I genuinely think our biggest downfall was almost getting to the Premier League in our first season of trying in the Championship. Yes it was great fun at the time but it hugely raised expectations and some considered it failure when the following season we couldn't recreate the push.

If only we had just stayed up comfortably and established ourselves for a few seasons, I know we did for a while but that first season was always there hanging over us. It cost us several managers and a whole heap of trouble. Yes attention was elsewhere to with changes in the boardroom etc and of course the ground.

Maybe we were being greedy, wishing for the moon and the stars when we should only have been content with the Championship. I would have swopped any league game this year for just one game up there again, yes even Barnsley would have been better than most in League 1.

I don't think I fully understood how close we were to the Premier League at the time and what it really would have meant. I would be quite happy in the Championship if we are able to get there again soon, and I will be certainly careful what I wish for.

I'm not disrespecting anyone in League 1 nor do I think we have the divine right to be top, but to be honest league 1 has been bloody awful, I've hated it this season. Much worse than I thought it would be, not just our results but the standard, the fans,lack of tv coverage etc. I can't wait to climb out.

I definitely agree with, that first season we way overachieved and we expected better in the following seasons when it was just a reality check.

Apart from our spineless last season I enjoyed every moment of being in The Championship.

There is a massive amount of revisionism going on here, we finished 10th in our second and third seasons up, both of which are excellent achievements.

Rich is spot on, being competitive at Championship level pisses all over beating Walsall and Port Vale.

I genuinely think our biggest downfall was almost getting to the Premier League in our first season of trying in the Championship. Yes it was great fun at the time but it hugely raised expectations and some considered it failure when the following season we couldn't recreate the push.

I don't think I fully understood how close we were to the Premier League at the time and what it really would have meant. I would be quite happy in the Championship if we are able to get there again soon, and I will be certainly careful what I wish for.

When you say 'raised expectations'...do you mean those of the fans or those of the Board and owner?

Tbh... I think EVERYONE got carried away...that's why we made the mistakes in the seasons afterwards.

I remember speaking to Ian Dowie up in Manchester, not long after we missed out in the play offs...his words were along the lines of, that it would have been the worst thing to happen to this Club ( going up ) as we weren't set up properly for it straight away...he wasn't wrong...we weren't even set up properly to survive life in the Championship...

The big pond.  Always the big pond.

But we're not even a big fish in our current pond, not really.  A fat fish, a lazy fish, even an odd fish...but not a big one.

Still, could be worse - we could be a big log in a small pond, like our blue neighbours

When you say 'raised expectations'...do you mean those of the fans or those of the Board and owner?

Tbh... I think EVERYONE got carried away...that's why we made the mistakes in the seasons afterwards.

I remember speaking to Ian Dowie up in Manchester, not long after we missed out in the play offs...his words were along the lines of, that it would have been the worst thing to happen to this Club ( going up ) as we weren't set up properly for it straight away...he wasn't wrong...we weren't even set up properly to survive life in the Championship...

It was very much everyone, fans, players, manager, board, owner. Everyone. We were all pulling together and being swept along, and yes it was fun at the time. It almost worked, but as you say we weren't equipped for the Championship never mind the Premiership.

But yes I season in the Premiership would have been an experience. Parachute payments too have benefitted many of our competitors in the past, something we haven't had the advantage of.

I still believe though if we hadn't got so close in the first season we would still be up there swimming in the Championship pond now. And talking of fish and pond sizes, I guess we had better hope Birmingham don't come down

It was very much everyone, fans, players, manager, board, owner. Everyone. We were all pulling together and being swept along, and yes it was fun at the time. It almost worked, but as you say we weren't equipped for the Championship never mind the Premier League.

But yes I season in the Premier League would have been an experience. Parachute payments too have benefitted many of our competitors in the past, something we haven't had the advantage of.

I still believe though if we hadn't got so close in the first season we would still be up there swimming in the Championship pond now. And talking of fish and pond sizes, I guess we had better hope Birmingham don't come down

Parachute payments are great if they are used wisely.

I was speaking to my Burnley contact yesterday about a potential player for us, and he mentioned parachute payments and how they can be used...

Quote...

'Lots of work to do academy wise .. they were going to spend a big chunk of the last Premier money on it, but apparently Mr Howe wanted to spend it on first team facilities .. I think they've now taken the decision to run the academy/youth set up us an autonomous thing, to avoid potentially being damaged by the whims of whoever the first team boss might be ... from what I can gather, the last two or three first team bosses have been jobs for my mates kind of guys, and the directors have realised that isn't the way to progress long term ... that said, we are in an ideal spot to soak up the cast offs from Manchester, like Trippier and Mee who we got for next to nothing ...'

Amazing that a little Club like Burnley can do it, still make mistakes, yet get to the Prem.

I definitely agree with, that first season we way overachieved and we expected better in the following seasons when it was just a reality check.

I've been watching City since I was 4 (84) and those 2 seasons were quality and my most enjoyable as a fan. I would not swap them for anything. We were taking thousands everywhere and having a laugh,

It's changed but let's hope next season is a positive one.

Threads like this piss me off, why not play in the confrence then we can call ourselfs Real Madrid? There is no reason why we can't do well in the Championship!! In 3 years time when Ashton Gate has been redoveloped, we will actually be one of the bigger clubs in that league, not one of the smallest, and infact, even now, we still wouldn't be one of the smallest! We spend 6 years in our last stint in the Championship, 3 of thoes we spent in the top 10, I would hardly call that struggling!!! Wheres the ambition? Jeez!!

What's the point in football if we're happy to settle for mediocrity. Every year be it the league, FA Cup, League Cup or JPT, I want us to win every game, I want to see this club win a trophy, I want BCFC to win the Premier League. I know the odds of us winning anything worth shouting about in my lifetime is slim, but heck if that chance wasn't there then what's the point of the team and me turning up each week. 

I've been watching City since I was 4 (84) and those 2 seasons were quality and my most enjoyable as a fan. I would not swap them for anything. We were taking thousands everywhere and having a laugh,

It's changed but let's hope next season is a positive one.

Not doubting that them few seasons were quality and we had the mentality that we could beat anyone but reality hit once we started struggling under Johnson and a bottom half championship side was to be expected when we won promotion. There is no doubt that 07/08 season was one of the best the club has ever had we all loved it

Wass think ?

But remember how we struggled to get out of this division for all those years under Wilson, then Tinnion, then finally Sir Gary.  Do we really want to go through all that again?

Wish we had been relegated now .....   Is it too late for us to go into adminstration?  If lost 10 points and Tranmere get a better result than us on Saturday, we can still go down.

You know it makes sense .....

Then we can be the Barcelona of League 2.  And if that doesn't work ......

Apart from our spineless last season I enjoyed every moment of being in The Championship.

There is a massive amount of revisionism going on here, we finished 10th in our second and third seasons up, both of which are excellent achievements.

Rich is spot on, being competitive at Championship level pisses all over beating Walsall and Port Vale.

Not to mention Rochdale. Rochdale mind, we gotta play 'em next season. Can't wait!!

a plane in a tailspin is differcult to levelout,

We were in freefall and it took alot of hard work from cotts and players some brave calls from the board and some luck (something we haven't had a great deal of for a few years)

Now while I want out of this league as much as the next man/women we need to add a dash of realism to our expectations we only confirmed our league one status 2 weeks ago we should never be put in that situation again,

We have the rest of the high earners leaving so we have space on wages front,

Its up to the club bert and cotts not to waste that, and after his first transfer window with us I trust him to do that,

Hard works starts now and it would be great to crown the opening on the "new" east end with a season of championship football,

I think the positive atmosphere that seemed to crop up around ashton gate at the end of feb helped massivaly and thats what us as fans need to continue

Archived