IGNORED

James Wilson Doing Well

Eco

Taken from Oldham forum today;

what a player? bit of everything hasn't he... pace, strength, good in the tackle, never misses a header - oh and has now chipped in with the goal!

for me he's been our best signing tbh, especially if we can keep hold of him! the partnership him and Lockwood have got is great and Lockwood is definitely the organiser BUT for some reason there has been a massive love in for Lockwood and yet no ones mentioned how much ability Wilson has got?

only young aswell

Early days but LJ seems to have brought out his potential.

He never seemed to get an extensive run of games and the times he has (Brentford & Oldham) he seems to have done well.  For this reason alone I would love to see any promising U21's get some guaranteed game time in the lower leagues as part of there development. 

what a player? bit of everything hasn't he... pace, strength, good in the tackle, never misses a header - oh and has now chipped in with the goal!

for me he's been our best signing tbh, especially if we can keep hold of him! the partnership him and Lockwood have got is great and Lockwood is definitely the organiser BUT for some reason there has been a massive love in for Lockwood and yet no ones mentioned how much ability Wilson has got?

only young aswell

Well he never did sod all for us.

As a young player he looked promising, but like a lot of City players his development stalled. He wasn't that good at championship level but was he any worse than many of the centre backs that City signed in recent years? IMO he wasn't.

With a proper run in the team and with proper support he could have been a better player with us. It seems he's getting this from Lee Johnson at Oldham.

One of too many players who lost his way, enjoyed the ride, and just got too comfortable by simply earning the wage by training and playing reserve team games with restricted first team appearances.

The move was good for us and good for Jamie so best of luck to him. Being heavily involved with a league first team on a regular basis will help him to achieve his potential.

And i get the feeling that we (as a club) are not the free ride that we once might have been, and every player has to justify his employment, or move on. That's good.

only young aswell

Always looked like he had the ability and potential to become a good player. Unfortunately for him, injuries seemed to hold back his progress. Very similar to Ribeiro for me. Not surprised he is doing well at all tbh and wouldn't be surprised to see him move up the leagues if he can stay fit.

To be fair to him his games with us he was paired with either Nyatanga or Fontaine, hardly the dream team of centre back partners

Always thought Wilson had huge potential. Weren't Everton looking at him aged 17? Wonder what might have happened if he could have developed alongside Carey given his influence on younger players.

Can I just say...

That is ONE opinion on him from another forum. That doesn't mean he's suddenly Steven Caulker. Good luck and fair play to him but he's still not good enough for us. I find it astonishing how people seem to now be suggesting that it was a shame we let him go.

I'm pleased he's playng regularly and doing well but he's taken a step down and we've moved on. He still wouldn't get anywhere near our first team.

Always thought Wilson had huge potential. Wonder what might have happened if he could have developed alongside Carey given his influence on younger players.

Bit ironic you should say that - I've always argued that Carey repreatedly getting new contracts was Wilson's biggest stumbling block at Ashton Gate, 

Was driving a flash merc at 20 years old. Earnt too much money before he deserved it.

Piss poor and didn't deserve what he had, seemed happy on the bench picking up whatever he was getting.

Just remover him falling over his own feet and getting sent off against Leeds. Basically just rubbish

As a young player he looked promising, but like a lot of City players his development stalled. He wasn't that good at championship level but was he any worse than many of the centre backs that City signed in recent years? IMO he wasn't.

With a proper run in the team and with proper support he could have been a better player with us. It seems he's getting this from Lee Johnson at Oldham.

And there's the nub.  It's all fine and dandy having a good youth set up and "promising youngsters", but those kids have to be given their chance.  And allowed to make mistakes.

Fair enough that we were too deep in the shit to risk it most of this season, but next season is vital for our 'youth strategy' - we have to start playing them more.  Or else risk yet more young players leaving to prosper elsewhere.  It's all very well saying "it's only League 1", but last time I looked, that's where we played.

And there's the nub. It's all fine and dandy having a good youth set up and "promising youngsters", but those kids have to be given their chance. And allowed to make mistakes.

Fair enough that we were too deep in the shit to risk it most of this season, but next season is vital for our 'youth strategy' - we have to start playing them more. Or else risk yet more young players leaving to prosper elsewhere. It's all very well saying "it's only League 1", but last time I looked, that's where we played.

Agree totally,i believe one of our problems,ironically,is that we have had too much money thrown at the team.

Clubs with smaller budgets have no option but to stick with and try to improve their team and their younger players learn from their mistakes ,become "battle-hardened" and get better.Our players don't get that time as we have traditionally just gone out and bought a replacement ,who often is no better !

Agree totally,i believe one of our problems,ironically,is that we have had too much money thrown at the team.

Clubs with smaller budgets have no option but to stick with and try to improve their team and their younger players learn from their mistakes ,become "battle-hardened" and get better.Our players don't get that time as we have traditionally just gone out and bought a replacement ,who often is no better, but is older, more expensive and on a longer contract !

+1 but I've added a little amendment

Archived