IGNORED

Should Steve Lansdown Buy Rovers For Feeder Team Purposes?

bcfcnick

It must be something that has at least entered SL's mind and it would be in line with his Bristol Sport ambitions. Here's the attractions :-

1) Gives the ideal set-up for bringing on either young academy players or the pick from the conference and lower levels.who might make it for us at higher levels.

2) There might be some initial resistance but with some education (okay brain washing involving piped music with subliminal messages) the Rovers support (especially those capable of 'reform' - the younger ones and students at UWE) represent a potential addition to our core fan base especially when we get to the Premiership under Cotterill. 

It probably changes our potential support from around 30,000 to 40,000 which is enough to give the potential for European qualification. There is time to get the stadium size issue resolved before European qualification that, realistically, will happen around 2017/18.  If Hull can do it then so can the sixth biggest city in the country.  The removal of the issue of a non-league Club cyphoning off  a small but significant proportion of the fan base for the city would help.

3) Bristol rugby can play some games at our feeder club ground to ensure the Ashton Gate pitch is in top condition.

Okay all a bit tongue in cheek but, in all seriousness, I think SL should do it! There may never be a better opportunity ...

Why not make them like barcelonas youth set up? They are in the Spanish second division and are a feeder club. Could be done like that where we play our youth like morrell who would get the crack at regular competitive football plus any older players that wernt in the first team picture or coming back from fitness could play. Like our u-21's but with a purpose

well why buy a club, when we could just build a small stadium at our training ground and run a 'feeder' side under our own name as a conference side/non-league side? as well as the under 21's. The feeder side could produce players for the under 21's, then the step up to the first team.

i'd rather let rover go bust themselves becuase of their own stupid ambitions. Darlington springs to mind.

Am I right in thinking league rules are you can only own 1 club.

thought it was for fairness, so you couldn't destroy one team and improve the other.

The operative word there, being "league" rules.

What have those rules got to do with Rovers anymore..?!

Why not make them like barcelonas youth set up? They are in the Spanish second division and are a feeder club. Could be done like that where we play our youth like morrell who would get the crack at regular competitive football plus any older players that wernt in the first team picture or coming back from fitness could play. Like our u-21's but with a purpose

That's why even a team like Chelsea, send five of their development squad to play for Excellsior in the Eredivisie...to get quality training, development and games that are up to competitive quality. You just don't get that in the U 21's....often a reason as to why they just don't develop and get to the first team.

U 21's sent to play for Willem II anyone.... ;)  :P

That's why even a team like Chelsea, send five of their development squad to play for Excellsior in the Eredivisie...to get quality training, development and games that are up to competitive quality. You just don't get that in the U 21's....often a reason as to why they just don't develop and get to the first team.

U 21's sent to play for Willem II anyone.... ;)  :P

3rd division U 21's to a Dutch prem team, that'll work.

I see, so the absence of little yellow faces, makes you take this thread seriously?

Of course not...but the idea of a feeder team isn't a bad one...even if unofficially. Just trying to find something sensible to talk about from all the bullshit Rovers crap...

It's noted by Tinnion and our coaches that we struggle to get quality matches...even though we now have grade 2...it's not going to be great.

Teams do it...why not us...?

Here's a list...not definitive...but it gives examples...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_feeder_teams_in_football

Of course not...but the idea of a feeder team isn't a bad one...even if unofficially. Just trying to find something sensible to talk about from all the bullshit Rovers crap...

It's noted by Tinnion and our coaches that we struggle to get quality matches...even though we now have grade 2...it's not going to be great.

Teams do it...why not us...?

Here's a list...not definitive...but it gives examples...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_feeder_teams_in_football

it's a great idea of course it is and I am sure something that would sit well within the Bristol sport banner and it's a pity that it didn't happen when we were in the championship, but something hopefully for the future once when or if we return to the championship, not in the 3rd division.

it's a great idea of course it is and I am sure something that would sit well within the Bristol sport banner and it's a pity that it didn't happen when we were in the championship, but something hopefully for the future once when or if we return to the championship, not in the 3rd division.

Why not...why does being in the 3rd division matter? Just interested why you think that?

We have players of Baldocks quality and JETS...plus others...we need to find players as good, if not even better to improve.

Why not...why does being in the 3rd division matter? Just interested why you think that?

We have players of Baldocks quality and JETS...plus others...we need to find players as good, if not even better to improve.

Surely the problem is where could you send under 21 year olds deemed not yet good enough for a 3rd division team, that would actually benefit their progress and guarantee them 1st team football at the club they are loaned to?, most 4th division clubs or not most conference clubs will want more experienced players and surely any level below that would not be of benefit at all I would suggest, apart from toughening them up.

Surely the problem is where could you send under 21 year olds deemed not yet good enough for a 3rd division team, that would actually benefit their progress and guarantee them 1st team football at the club they are loaned to?, most 4th division clubs or not most conference clubs will want more experienced players and surely any level below that would not be of benefit at all I would suggest, apart from toughening them up.

That is where being pro active makes a difference.

It would be beneficial to make good contacts with a foreign Club and combine facilities and coaching.

Didn't we have some form of contact with Schalke quiet recently?

Swapping development players, from Club to Club to give them different coaching and playing experience.

I know for example, we had a young lad, I believe it was from Valencia, being approached to come to us.

CA...believes having someone like that in the development squad will rub off on the other lads.

Not just in technique, but professional attitude.

It's not hard to do. Unfortunately many English Clubs have got stuck in a rut, and believe there is only one way of running a Club.

With FFP now in action...it's even more imperative that Clubs start being more pro active, stop resting on their laurels and start thinking outside the box so to speak.

For decades...Clubs in this Country have all run pretty much along the same lines. Everyone except three in each division fail each year...

We can't rely on SL's money to bail us out anymore...so even more ideas need to be processed.

It's the Clubs that are pro active that will do well in the future.

What I fear...is that the Re- development of AG will still continue to take our eye off the footballing side of the Club.

We can't just leave it to our coaches and manager...their has to be directive.

Pelling cannot be expected to oversee both. That imho, is a bad move by the Club.

Overseeing the development of AG, is a full time job...anyone in the Construction Industry will tell you that....so to expect him to do both is very short sighted imho.

I know this is all tongue in cheek, but actually it wouldn't be allowed anyway.

The FA Don't allow clubs to have feeder teams in the "Real Castille" and "Barcelona B" mould (anyone remember Rafa Benitez comments a few years back?)

One time in the 60s Arsenal offered to buy Leyton Orient as a feeder club and the FA vigilantly prohibited it.

realistically, the only options like this would be with teams outside of the UK - such as man utd and i think antwerp 

There is the option of loaning out some of our youngsters to a non-league club that is near enough to keep an eye on them and have them train with us most of the week. I would have thought the scouts would be pleased with the nice short journey to see any non-league talent as well.

Archived