IGNORED

2/5/1990 Exorcising My Demons

We were walking peacefully back into Bath that day after the game when a load of saggies went past hurriedly saying "Quick there are loads of City fans and they're going to get us". Nasty day, in many ways. Started well enough, I think we were all wearing Tescos bags in honour of the new owners of Eastville.

But believe me, for all the hurt of that day, this weekend has been equally as brilliant as the 1-0 down 2-1 up game in the FA Cup more than 30 years ago.

And the greatest pleasure of all? Sharing it with my son, who reaches adulthood, this Friday coming, in the knowledge that there really is only one team in Bristol.

Bm4hga5IAAAVC51.jpg

Brilliant stuff. i concur with everything here. That night 24 years ago was my worst ever night supporting city, far worse than any of the play off defeats, you had to be there to know the full meaning of how low football can take you.  Thankfully those webbed fingered few are now experiencing something equally as painful.

What looked like being a terrible season, has turned out pretty okay, and  know I should be more interested in what City are doing, but this is just too pleasing to let lay.

Without doubt the worst day of my life as a City fan.

City played decent football that season, the slags played hoofball at that dump Trumpton.

We were robbed of the title because they deliberately got that game delayed until the end of the season, when they knew their crappy pitch would be rock hard. They were out of form when it was due to be played originally; and of course Sir Bob Taylor, (who had been in unstoppable form) was injured when it finally got played.

The journey home was dreadful; and at the time I was sharing a house with a couple of slags.

KARMA INDEED !

Without doubt the worst day of my life as a City fan.

City played decent football that season, the slags played hoofball at that dump Trumpton.

We were robbed of the title because they deliberately got that game delayed until the end of the season, when they knew their crappy pitch would be rock hard. They were out of form when it was due to be played originally; and of course Sir Bob Taylor, (who had been in unstoppable form) was injured when it finally got played.

The journey home was dreadful; and at the time I was sharing a house with a couple of slags.

KARMA INDEED !

That's not a bad thing, surely?!

I find it quite amusing that the horse-punchers will be re-visiting that shit hole, only this time they'll be the ones in the away end for a league game...

Not next season they won't, as Bath are in the conference south....but 2015 - 2016 :banana:

I echo your feelings and reading your monologue of that night brings that sickening feeling flooding back and if there is one shame it's that their relegation on Saturday wasn't on the 2nd of May. That would have good and proper buried the ghost of that night in 1990.

I hope City grab hold of the generation of kids that might have been born into a Rovers family and expected to support them and help bury that shitty little shambles of a club forever.

Marina's Rolls Royce, you my old friend (I hope I can call you that having never met you, but I feel that I have been on the same footballing journey hand in hand) have summed up in one post the reason I celebrated on Saturday like England had won the world cup, City the champions league and my numbers had come up on the Euromillions.

I to remember that day and could not believe what I was witnessing.

On Saturday I drove down the Gloucester Road into the city centre at 2.00 pm watching the blue few wandering around, making their way to the match. I truly believed at that time they would make it. By half time in Cabot Circus I started to believe it could really happen.

On the way back to Cribbs at bang on 4.51 pm they were already drifting away, my missus and kids were urging me to drive faster and get away as they could sense the end was near, the commentary on Radio Bristol confirmed it, they were down as I drove back past the Minimal Ground.

I can say in a roundabout fashion I was there for the exorcism.

This thread really, really, really strikes a chord. It was my Birthday on Saturday and after a boozy lunch with my Wife and Mother (Neither of them Football fans in the slightest but always root for City because of me), I returned home, turned on the radio and sat in the Garden with several Rum and Cokes.

First things first, check the City score on the phone, 1-0 down, damn. Never mind Boys, we will pull that back. Then a funny thing happened, I scrolled down the page, the planets aligned and somehow Wycombe were winning, Northampton were winning and low and behold, the Gas had just conceded a 36th minute wonder volley (For League 2 anyhow). Up went the volume (Gashead next door) and I spent the next hour in complete confidence that The Gas were going to royally **** this up. This was karma, quite clearly not instant karma but a 24 year slow burn.

You see, I remember 1990, I remember one of the snidiest moments of my entire childhood. I awoke on my thirteenth Birthday, numb with defeat, to the sound of my parents phone ringing. After my Mum wished me Happy Birthday and told me to cheer up, she said the phone was for me. The Second Person I spoke to as a teenager was my Uncle Steve:

"Alright Luke? Enjoy the Game last night?............... IIIIIIrreennne Goood Night, IIIIIIIIIrreeeene Gooood Niiiight etc" Phone slammed down, fighting back the tears.

Fast forward 24 years and the Gas hit the post in the dying minutes of the game........The Commentators are adding to the general mailaise and confusion with their stuttering shock....."The Ref looks like he's putting his mouth to the whistle......" (I recorded the final 18 minutes of the commentary on my iphone for posterity) and then nothing. Commentary went mute, the sound coming from the crowd was a mass indescribable and pained wail. It was horrible, palpable and I went Apes**t. Champagne and a Great Italian Red were opened at the same time and I was swigging them back from the bottle like Caligula, dancing in the Street.

My Mum then did something wonderful. During the course of the Match I had reminded her all about the phone call from Uncle Steve. Tamping, she called him a few minutes after The Horse Punchers had lost and it was no surprise when he didn't pick up. However, she left a phone message with me celebrating and singing hysterically in the background:

"Oh Good Afternoon Steve, I hope you enjoyed the Match this Afternoon. Rovers Nil, Mansfield One. Rovers relegated from The entire Football League................. (Then the smuggest voice) ................GOODNIGHT IRENE!"

Legend. Get that Woman a Medal.

What a Moment, what an exorcism, what a Birthday. If Carlsberg did Birthdays, they would be something like that.

This thread really, really, really strikes a chord. It was my Birthday on Saturday and after a boozy lunch with my Wife and Mother (Neither of them Football fans in the slightest but always root for City because of me), I returned home, turned on the radio and sat in the Garden with several Rum and Cokes.

First things first, check the City score on the phone, 1-0 down, damn. Never mind Boys, we will pull that back. Then a funny thing happened, I scrolled down the page, the planets aligned and somehow Wycombe were winning, Northampton were winning and low and behold, the Gas had just conceded a 36th minute wonder volley (For League 2 anyhow). Up went the volume (Gashead next door) and I spent the next hour in complete confidence that The Gas were going to royally **** this up. This was karma, quite clearly not instant karma but a 24 year slow burn.

You see, I remember 1990, I remember one of the snidiest moments of my entire childhood. I awoke on my thirteenth Birthday, numb with defeat, to the sound of my parents phone ringing. After my Mum wished me Happy Birthday and told me to cheer up, she said the phone was for me. The Second Person I spoke to as a teenager was my Uncle Steve:

"Alright Luke? Enjoy the Game last night?............... IIIIIIrreennne Goood Night, IIIIIIIIIrreeeene Gooood Niiiight etc" Phone slammed down, fighting back the tears.

Fast forward 24 years and the Gas hit the post in the dying minutes of the game........The Commentators are adding to the general mailaise and confusion with their stuttering shock....."The Ref looks like he's putting his mouth to the whistle......" (I recorded the final 18 minutes of the commentary on my iphone for posterity) and then nothing. Commentary went mute, the sound coming from the crowd was a mass indescribable and pained wail. It was horrible, palpable and I went Apes**t. Champagne and a Great Italian Red were opened at the same time and I was swigging them back from the bottle like Caligula, dancing in the Street.

My Mum then did something wonderful. During the course of the Match I had reminded her all about the phone call from Uncle Steve. Tamping, she called him a few minutes after The Horse Punchers had lost and it was no surprise when he didn't pick up. However, she left a phone message with me celebrating and singing hysterically in the background:

"Oh Good Afternoon Steve, I hope you enjoyed the Match this Afternoon. Rovers Nil, Mansfield One. Rovers relegated from The entire Football League................. (Then the smuggest voice) ................GOODNIGHT IRENE!"

Legend. Get that Woman a Medal.

What a Moment, what an exorcism, what a Birthday. If Carlsberg did Birthdays, they would be something like that.

Please tell me you have spoken to him since and let him have it both barrels. Karma is a bitch :)

Outstanding post MRR.

I celebrated at home.

My daughter said she felt sorry for them

I had to explain about the pain of 1982 and how, like vultures, they circled in hope of buying Ashton Gate on the cheap. Pecking at our just, but still, breathing Football Club. 

Any City fan old enough to remember 1982 will agree how we were made to suffer. 

Everyday during those dark days, going to work and having the Blue Few goad you.. Every F**cking day. As if we were Lepers!

Time has moved on, but I will never forget what they put us through - along with your aforementioned 2nd May debacle.

I will raise a glass to the demise of The Blue Few, but a tear? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.

TIME TO REAP WHAT YOU SOWED.

This! - I hate everything to do with that scummy, little tin pot, inbred, web fingered, black teeth and denim jacket assholes *****.  This is the best weekend of my whole ******* life. I enjoyed Saturday more than my wedding day and if my wife knew she'd go ape, but now they are where they belong and I hope they never get back up again :thumbsup: AVE IT you ******* p-rick-s!!!!!!!

I still remember my mate and I slumped against the foot of a Twerton lamp-post as hoardes of jubilant pikeys trotted past as we waited for our lift home.

Without doubt, the lowest ever moment in my football supporting life.

I have yet to see/read any Gerry Francis/Ian Holloway quotes on Rover's demise... how I would LOVE to hear those!...

Im thinking this too. It didnt stop us from going up, it didnt decide th destination of the league championship (the next game did), it only delayed the inevitable party for an extra day. It must have sucked but surely relegation or missing promotion altogether was a worse feeling?

On holiday in Lyme Regis about 15 years ago,  Nice warm evening, with my wife, 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son just coming out of a chip shop into a pedestrianised area with some chips. Everything was good with the world.

Suddenly 3 chavvy  17 year  ish kids noticed my son with his City shirt on and started shouting 'S***head', and causing a bit of a fuss....dancing around singing Irene and generally being *****.

Other people around were wondering what was going on, my kids were worried...I wanted to chin each of the skanky halfwits, but with much regret I turned my back on them and ushered my lot away, much to the sags merriment!

Thank you 3rd May 2014, and thank you Mansfield.

My Demons have been well and truly exorcised.

Im thinking this too. It didnt stop us from going up, it didnt decide th destination of the league championship (the next game did), it only delayed the inevitable party for an extra day. It must have sucked but surely relegation or missing promotion altogether was a worse feeling?

Nope, far worse for me,back then the derby meant something, and losing out on the title to that lot was awful.  Hence I still rate the Louie Donowa game as my favourite,years of frustration gone in one bobbling shot and header.  Promotion and relegation are part and parcel of football,losing to your neighbours, who had a lot of dicks in the team at the time, that was far worse than any miss out promotion or relegation.  I tell you when you are held back to witness your fiercest rivals celebrate, it is soul destroying, especially in a season when we should have walked away with the title.

I felt truly sick listening to the commentary in the car - parked, temporarily, on the Downs, with a view of the Suspension Bridge - when they announced there were 5mins of Injury Time to be played.

It seemed like an eterity, days could've passed for all I knew, until the commentator said the words (well, more or less) that will live with me for ever:

". . . and the referee puts his whistle to his mouth"

And that was it. It was over. It really was. And it felt good. Off we drove from that glorious view, those words buzzing around my head, to get some Thatcher's Gold to celebrate, horn tooting at random passers-by, some who understood & responded with fist-pumps, or others, oblivious to the collision of the stars we had just witnessed in Torquay, Northampton & Bristol, who just looked on wondering what on earth. . .

At some point later I realised we'd drawn and finished 12th.

Good bye to The Horse Punchers. Good bye.

#OLTIB :city: 

On holiday in Lyme Regis about 15 years ago,  Nice warm evening, with my wife, 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son just coming out of a chip shop into a pedestrianised area with some chips. Everything was good with the world.

Suddenly 3 chavvy  17 year  ish kids noticed my son with his City shirt on and started shouting 'S***head', and causing a bit of a fuss....dancing around singing Irene and generally being *****.

Other people around were wondering what was going on, my kids were worried...I wanted to chin each of the skanky halfwits, but with much regret I turned my back on them and ushered my lot away, much to the sags merriment!

Thank you 3rd May 2014, and thank you Mansfield.

My Demons have been well and truly exorcised.

No doubt one of the 3 twerps were on the pitch punching horses and punching his own players..

Archived