IGNORED

Worst Season Ever For Bristol Football?

Aizoon

City 66th in the rankings and Rovers 91st.

Is that the worst ever season for Bristol football in the 94 years when there were two Bristol clubs or was 1982 worse?

And what was the best? I suspect it was in the 1950's but I wouldn't bet on it...

PS No, in 1982 we were 82nd! and the Gas were 51st.

I'm sure there were a couple of dreadful seasons back in the 1930s when both sides were in the old Division 3 South.

That's a bit difficult to allow for. I guess you double the position, so 13th in 3(S) would count as 26th In the combined division.

This depends on your view point, naturally.

Many think this is the 'best ever' season for Bristol football.

......... it really just depends on if you think 'Bristol Football' should include that other non-league club ....... can't remember the name?

:rofl2br:

This depends on your view point, naturally.

Many think this is the 'best ever' season for Bristol football.

......... it really just depends on if you think 'Bristol Football' should include that other non-league club ....... can't remember the name?

:rofl2br:

Well, clearly it doesn't now, but it did for 94 years, so I thought I'd sum it up before drawing a line under it...

Is that the worst ever season for Bristol football in the 94 years when there were two Bristol clubs or was 1982 worse?

Best season in my lifetime all for the wrong reasons.

And what was the best? I suspect it was in the 1950's but I wouldn't bet on it...

Best season in my lifetime all for the wrong reasons. Double post I know.

I don't really give a shite about 'Bristol Football'. There's only one team's performance I care about and frankly if Rovers dropped to the Isthmian league I wouldn't think 'ah shame for Bristol football'.

I would be very interested to see a comparison of results between two-club city's and whether the performance of one team indirectly impacts the performance of another. Initial gut feeling is does it balls.

As per the forum name 'one team in Bristol' and, as we know, 12th in League One isn't the worse season ever

'Bristol football is awful' is a statement that really winds me up. It is bad enough that Sags say it but the occasional City fan also mutters it. It is a pathetic attempt by the Blue few to lump both clubs together in terms of their recent performance. When you look at it the difference is huge -

City last 15 years - nearly half the seasons spent in the Championship, a division which boasts really big clubs, international footballers and some great gates and grounds. A play off final v Brighton, a play off final v Hull, one step from the Premiership, a LDV victory in front of 40,000 City.

Rovers last 15 years - vast majority spent in the fourth division and then er dropping into Conference.

Compare and contrast.

Even if we view "Bristol Football" collectively, then 1982 has to be worse than 2014. In 1982, City were bankrupt and were a whisker away from folding. If 1982 had happened today, then Bristol City would no longer exist. Think of Darlington! Rovers for all their humiliation do not look like they will go out of business and irrespective of the rivalry and indeed occasional mutual hatred between our two clubs, I, for one, am glad they will still be in operation as a pro club next year.

When you look at what was said at the start of the season.....

Season of transistion, we need to clean the big earners from the club which won't happen until end of season....this was said at the stsrt and repated until SoD left....many didn't believe or understand it but he has a point.

But with that in mind.

Top Half Finish and Rovers OUT of the football league - I'm happy

Hated most of this season, thought we were certs for relegation after losing at Bramell Lane. Finished very strongly with a really respectable 1 loss in 12, Good Friday felt like a massive relief....two weeks later the Gas got relegated, ******* hilarious. It's gone from being one of my worst seasons ever to one of my favourites.

I don't really care about 'Bristol football' tbh. I don't think anyone who bothers to pay attention to the lower leagues see Rovers getting relegated and thinks "well, thats embarrassing for Bristol City".

Best season ever! 

:gasmask:  :mf_sleep:  :clapping:

Indeed, it was an incredible season with City coming back from the brink thanks to Steve Cotterill and the Gas becoming a non-league club again for the first time since 1920 !!!!!! Best season ever?.....not quite because that has to be when we finished runners up for the top flight championship in 1907 but even then Gas were non-league. :thumbsup:  Best season in my lifetime though seeing the Gas become non-league.

Archived