IGNORED

Wade Elliot Released

Pedrowe

1 year deal with a 2nd year triggered should he play X amount of games

Personally, I would have to agree with this. I believe he has been a big part of the turnaround of results and think it will be ludicrous if we don't at least attempt to sign him on a year dear. I wouldn't necesarilly think it is the best idea to give him a straight 2 year deal as this may allow him to get complacent as it would potentially be his last professional contract. I still think the outcome will be him coming on a two year deal however, as I reckon other clubs will try and come in and get him on a more expensive year long deal- a Sheffield United type of side or even a low championship team.

As for the captaincy dilemma, I don't think you can take it off of Baldock if he does decide to stay with us. He has done everything I expect from a captain, from giving 110% effort to representing the club in a positive manor every time I see him in the media. I think captaincy means a lot to Baldock and it reflects in his attitude during the game- taking this away would be very harsh in my opinion. I don't really agree with, you have to shout a lot to be a good leader, I believe more in setting good examples and being positive makes a better leader. It all depend on how the other players react to the captain and not just what we see from the stands as spectators as the players have to be with them 24-7.

Sammy has turned into a really good captain of late. Why upset that? Wade Elliott hardly needs the armband to be a leader on the pitch but Sammy probably does.

Also, if you didn't know how old WE was, can anyone honestly say they'd look at his performances and say 'he's on his last legs'? He's a class act and in modern football, quality players can keep themselves fitter, longer and that is helped by dropping down a level. If it takes a two year contract, Id definitely give him the two years. He will have options, probably some in Championship so it won't be a one-way negotiation with us holding all the cards.

Haven't seen such an impact from one player in recent years, except maybe Bikey. Most importantly, as a fan, it's nice to be entertained for once. And WE is a joy to watch play, so short term and medium term, I'd be delighted if we keep him. Even long term, it must be good for the kids being able to learn from a player like Wade - both on pitch and off it as by all accounts he's very grounded and professional. 

So for me, he is a priority signing this summer and we will struggle to find better. 

Snap him up without delay and make him captain.

Baldock may have been a reasonable choice from what SO'D had available at the time, but a player who loses goalscoring form for a third of the season is a confidence player who cannot inspire others when he's struggling badly himself.

Someone mature, consistent, and who leads the team from midfield is a far better choice, and there's no reason to think Baldock would have a problem with that.

Baldock may have been a reasonable choice from what SO'D had available at the time, but a player who loses goalscoring form for a third of the season is a confidence player who cannot inspire others when he's struggling badly himself.

Someone mature, consistent, and who leads the team from midfield is a far better choice, and there's no reason to think Baldock would have a problem with that.

no keep baldock as captain he's done nothing to warrent the armband being taken off of him

no keep baldock as captain he's done nothing to warrent the armband being taken off of him

He scored 1 goal in 15 games at one stage this season and his confidence was clearly shot before SC came in and moved him out wide.

The other players need to see a captain being confident and consistent above all else.

I think Elliot would make a better captain, simple as that.

Lets get the players in first, then talk about captaincy, But i would stay with Golden Boots.

It may be that the weight of captaincy contributed to Baldock's lack of form and confidence mid season.

Which might have cost him and us a number of goals.

Just a thought.

It may be that the weight of captaincy contributed to Baldock's lack of form and confidence mid season.

Just a thought.

Maybe, but i thought the longer the season went on Baldock started coming into his own and the confidence started to flow.

Hope he scores as many next season with the captaincy, every goal scorer has off days, this is why we need players like Elliot to score goals. Baldock came more into his own with better midfield players like Elliot around him who could spot a run.

...and you can guarantee WE wont have a bad run of form???

As he's a confidence player surely we shouldn't be knocking his confidence by taking the captaincy off him?

He scored 1 goal in 15 games at one stage this season and his confidence was clearly shot before SC came in and moved him out wide.

The other players need to see a captain being confident and consistent above all else.

I think Elliot would make a better captain, simple as that.

I think WE arriving was pivotal to SB subsequent goal scoring spree. Watching the video of his goals how many was WE involved in - quite a few. I think leave captaincy as is, but sign WE for a year, and it may convince SB to hang around...

As he's a confidence player surely we shouldn't be knocking his confidence by taking the captaincy off him?

Maybe, or it may be a weight off his shoulders. We just don't know.

One thing's for sure, whether Wade Elliot signs or not, we'll have a number of new players next season and Cotterill will no doubt look at all of them in training before choosing his captain.

After all Baldock wasn't his choice originally and no doubt Baldock took the captaincy realising it wasn't necessarily an appointment for the rest of his career.

My own view is he showed some good qualities as a captain but his prolonged confidence dip mid season is a worry. and it's by no means certain that having the captaincy didn't exacerbate things.

If Cotterill feels Baldock may score more goals by removing the responsibilities of captaincy from him then no doubt that's exactly what he'll do.

I think WE arriving was pivotal to SB subsequent goal scoring spree. Watching the video of his goals how many was WE involved in - quite a few. I think leave captaincy as is, but sign WE for a year, and it may convince SB to hang around...

If being the captain is so important to SB - I'm not convinced it is - then I'm inclined to agree. It would be a disastrous decision to remove the captaincy from SB if it became the deciding factor in him leaving.

By the way I think Baldock has said himself that renewed confidence instilled in him by Cotterill was the main reason for him turning round his mid season form, but I'd agree again that having a master craftsman (at this level) like WE pulling the strings and creating chances must also have been a big factor.

My impression is Baldock and Cotteril like and respect each other, and Baldock will view any any decision reached as being in his best interests, so no fall out likely either way.

Just a thought.

or the fact we had SoD playing anti football where we were registering 1 shot a game and the abuse he was taking effecting him?

No he's done nothing wrong to lose the captancey and I'll go as far to say he is a model pro, not moan once kept his held held high even when getting abuse and most importantly never failed to give 100% in every game he played unlike others last season

He will be offered 2 years by someone, so we don't hold all the cards as people have said. We will need a blend of players to create a top table side, WE is now known to the club and other players and worked well, so I see no issue signing him, and have the same view for Nyron, who was far better than El Bad, and we must have the defence sorted next year as we know it has been poor for 3 years. Neither Flint or El Bad are up to the task IMHO, and Williams (who will only get better, and is a huge talent ) needs a quality partner. It is a shame we have El Bad signed as from what it seems he is taking up a significant wage , in a dream world you would try and move him on. 

How many times have you seen Flint?

He was playing really well when he got injured at Shrewsbury, one of City's best players, if not the best, in several matches in a row.

He did have a couple of wobbly games earlier in the season leading to opposition goals, but then again so did Williams, but his poor games seem to be completely erased from people's memories.

Cotterill's made no secret of the fact that he rates Flint highly.

He deserves a 2 year contract for his outstanding performarances at this level. If it was not for Wade Elliott we would have gone down. One of very, very few in the current squad that can be labelled " footballer". 

Agree with that Tommy. Someone with quick skillfull feet and a quick mind. Not had many of those recently.

Archived