IGNORED

David James Bankrupt

And Its Smith

Sad, whether or not you rate(d) him as a footballer, he was one of the very few professional footballers I had any time for.

An intelligent guy who did considerable amounts of charity work, then you see the likes of Marlon King and Nile Ranger who will spend vast portions of their life in the slammer....

Came across to me as having ego, To big to be playing for us (which to be fair he was) but no need to act it

Actually came across as the complete opposite, did loads of community work for the club. I liked him as a player and a person, but I do understand he probably wasn't value for money.

He was nowhere near as bad as people made out. Actually made some incredible saves.

True actually.

Even at that age he was a good keeper at that level. He was a victim of his reputation/career to some extent as many expected him to be super human.

I've always wondered how good decent top tier players would look if they were thrust into a lower league team. Would they immediately stand out as you expect, or would some be sucked down to that level?

Bellamy didn't exactly tear up trees with cardiff, did he...

Imagine dropping rooney straight into our team. Would he make a massive difference?

True actually.

Even at that age he was a good keeper at that level. He was a victim of his reputation/career to some extent as many expected him to be super human.

I've always wondered how good decent top tier players would look if they were thrust into a lower league team. Would they immediately stand out as you expect, or would some be sucked down to that level?

Imagine dropping rooney straight into our team. Would he make a massive difference?

He would make everyone else look drop dead gorgeous.............. :wub: 

He was nowhere near as bad as people made out. Actually made some incredible saves.

He was terrible!!

My memory of him is a night game at the gate against Reading where we were 2-0 up with about 15 to go. You know the rest - a joke of a player and probably the highest paid in the history of the club.

In the net: do u have a link for that rather unbelievable ratio squire please?

Here you go - I was astounded when I saw it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/a-reason-to-feel-sorry-for-premier-league-footballers-three-of-five-players-declare-bankruptcy-after-retirement-8519908.html

Gordon Taylor - PFA, reckons that a figure between 10 - 20% is more accurate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21790728

Whichever figure is closest to the mark, there are obviously too many of them who get too much too soon, and are no doubt badly advised.  Have to say, I always thought that David James seemed like a decent kind of bloke, who had his head screwed on.

True actually.

Indeed just look at Sol Campbell 

It's not ludicrous.

He's earnt that much and blown it. He has nothing to show for it so I'd say it's completely fair.

yeah he earned that much minus the tax a divorce etc there wouldn't be much left luv the way people see that figure & automatically think that's how much they get.

Yet again, successive premiership and international managers think a players good, but here at OTIB we know better.

Great keeper, great for us: made some great saves - but more to the point for me was that he often didn't need to make great saves because his positioning was so good.

Arguably not worth the money it cost us - but that was our choice, not his: our fault, not his.

Archived