IGNORED

David James Bankrupt

And Its Smith

Worst keeper I've seen at the gate

In terms of ability? Don't think so, came to us on the back of a World Cup tournament as first choice for England and one of the few to come home with any sort of respect in tact!

In terms of effort or commitment he put in whilst here, I'd probably agree.

As for the money aspect, I'm guessing the people criticising have never lived outside their means? Your outgoings and lifestyle will generally reflect the money you earn. The more/less you earn the more/less you spend. Clearly the divorce had a big impact on him money wise and probably spiralled from there.

yeah he earned that much minus the tax a divorce etc there wouldn't be much left luv the way people see that figure & automatically think that's how much they get.

Wouldn't be much left?

He was taking home anywhere between 9 and 15k a week here ( depending on what story you listen to).

If he's earnt 25m he's still taken home a minimum of 12.5m over that time which is more than enough to have sorted you out for life if your sensible even with a divorce. I bet he also earnt the majority of that in the last 10 years of so.

Clearly he's not as intelligent as some make out.

Everyone can be unlucky, but that's not the point. It's about spreading risk with your money.

You can easily lose some of your money, but to lose all of it - and many millions at that - is plainly incompetent.

Whatever you invest in the question has to be asked "what's the worst that can happen and could I afford it if it happened".

Numpty.

I wouldn't say he was the absolute worst, but of the longer term keepers I've seen down there since John Shaw, he's certainly one of the poorer ones.

By and large a goalkeeper is only ever going to be as solid as the defence in front of them. It's an exposed position, and in any situation where a player is in behind the defence, the forward is the favourite in that situation, not the GK.

Are you telling me you could put Joe Hart into a non league team and expect them to keep clean sheets all season? The expectation that we'd suddenly be unbreachable when DJ came in was ridiculous and was always setting him up for a fall.

David James is nowhere near the list of bad keepers we've had at AG. We've had plenty of poor goalkeepers in my lifetime, but DJ wasn't one of them. You can question his motivation/ego or whatever but he was a very competent goalkeeper in the main.

By and large a goalkeeper is only ever going to be as solid as the defence in front of them. It's an exposed position, and in any situation where a player is in behind the defence, the forward is the favourite in that situation, not the GK.

Are you telling me you could put Joe Hart into a non league team and expect them to keep clean sheets all season? The expectation that we'd suddenly be unbreachable when DJ came in was ridiculous and was always setting him up for a fall.

David James is nowhere near the list of bad keepers we've had at AG. We've had plenty of poor goalkeepers in my lifetime, but DJ wasn't one of them. You can question his motivation/ego or whatever but he was a very competent goalkeeper in the main.

Yes. 

Maybe on the value for money front it was a poor signing but that doesn't make DJ a poor keeper. 

David James is nowhere near the list of bad keepers we've had at AG. We've had plenty of poor goalkeepers in my lifetime, but DJ wasn't one of them. You can question his motivation/ego or whatever but he was a very incompetent goalkeeper in the main.

Fixed that for you.

Trading on past glories when he arrived here IMO.

The fact that we looked more stable when Dean Gerken took over says it all for me...

In terms of ability? Don't think so, came to us on the back of a World Cup tournament as first choice for England and one of the few to come home with any sort of respect in tact!

He was second choice 'keeper put in after one game due to a pitiful performance by the first choice who is now plying his trade in the second flight. This, during the biggest drought in obvious number 1's of all time.

He was then signed after expressing his desire to play for a local club, it has been strongly rumoured, by a chairman who got starry-eyed and this, again only rumour, prompted the newly appointed manager to leave.

He was then the top-earner at the club, had an on pitch bust-up with the club captain and rumours were rife he thought himself a cut above (quoting another player who shall remain anonymous, he was "a bit weird").

The quality of his input has always been debated, he clogged-up the position for younger, hungrier players and to me the whole sorry saga was never worth it.

I have nothing against him, incidentally, this is just how I see it.

He was nowhere near as bad as people made out. Actually made some incredible saves.

Genuinly nice bloke and sad to hear..obviously bloody useless with money though!..just as frustrating as a keeper.remember a save he made late on second half away at West Ham-Dels first away game I think.point blank low down to ees left..still unsure of how he got to it...and then he would exasperate you..

When he first signed for us there was an interview on radio 5 I think. He said his only interest was playing football, wasn't interested it at all as a game. He said he didn't follow other results, he might know who was top of the Prem but wouldn't know nothing else, he wasn't interested. Surprised me at the time.

So I'm surprised he has been employed as a pundit to talk about it, that's how much he needs the money. He speaks well and sounds knowledgable but every time I see him, which is often as he's always on BT Sport, I can't help but remember the above interview. I know we all do jobs we don't like, but come on. How did he get employed, ah right, just because he is David James, we fell for that too.

He was second choice 'keeper put in after one game due to a pitiful performance by the first choice who is now plying his trade in the second flight. This, during the biggest drought in obvious number 1's of all time.

He was then signed after expressing his desire to play for a local club, it has been strongly rumoured, by a chairman who got starry-eyed and this, again only rumour, prompted the newly appointed manager to leave.

He was then the top-earner at the club, had an on pitch bust-up with the club captain and rumours were rife he thought himself a cut above (quoting another player who shall remain anonymous, he was "a bit weird").

The quality of his input has always been debated, he clogged-up the position for younger, hungrier players and to me the whole sorry saga was never worth it.

I have nothing against him, incidentally, this is just how I see it.

heard that he refused to room with people on away games because he ''didn't like sharing rooms with people''. A few interviews he gave to 5 Live, Talksport etc. when he was here were strange too - calling the footballs used in The Champ as ''bricks'', openly admitted he thought it was someone playing a prank on him when he was approached by us, all a bit odd.

Archived