IGNORED

Sunday Times Rich List

Aizoon

"The Sunday times rich list has revealed that the British people in the list are richer than ever before....." said the BBC

"We're all in it together..." Said David Cameron.

Clearly. :)

So I assume you'd have preferred Steve L to have got a job somewhere and for all those employed by HL in Bristol or on AG stadium rebuilds to not have jobs.  It is a fact that those that take risks and create wealth for us all to share are rewarded more than they ever have been but short of world agreements there's nowt you can do about it and it's certainly beyond on the scope of any UK politician. Better to be in a successful country than an unsuccessful one.

So I assume you'd have preferred Steve L to have got a job somewhere and for all those employed by HL in Bristol or on AG stadium rebuilds to not have jobs. It is a fact that those that take risks and create wealth for us all to share are rewarded more than they ever have been but short of world agreements there's nowt you can do about it and it's certainly beyond on the scope of any UK politician. Better to be in a successful country than an unsuccessful one.

This is nothing personal about SL. He's worked hard for his money and he probably desrves it. I haven't looked into his company much but I'm sure he pays a fair wage and his staff are well looked after.

With rising amounts of poverty in this country since 2011 I am not sure how successful this country is.

Successful for the elite it seems though.

This is nothing personal about SL. He's worked hard for his money and he probably desrves it. I haven't looked into his company much but I'm sure he pays a fair wage and his staff are well looked after.

With rising amounts of poverty in this country since 2011 I am not sure how successful this country is.

Successful for the elite it seems though.

Was only using SL as an example that we know about, but much the same can be said of many others. Many, even most, people in this country are doing ok and we should encourage wealth creators to do their stuff. That said we do have a problem catering for those without some sort of ability/skills. It used to be the case that training and education provided opportunities for some and for those didn't want to or couldn't go that way there were unskilled and semi skilled jobs where you can earn a crust. Recently we have seen a ridiculous focus on the expansion of universities (Blair's target was 50% of the population FFS), along with the cheap import of goods and labour. I can't say that I know all answers but we do need to stop pretending that a Uni education is the answer to everything, start taking training seriously and have some sort of control on unskilled immigration.

So I assume you'd have preferred Steve L to have got a job somewhere and for all those employed by HL in Bristol or on AG stadium rebuilds to not have jobs. It is a fact that those that take risks and create wealth for us all to share are rewarded more than they ever have been but short of world agreements there's nowt you can do about it and it's certainly beyond on the scope of any UK politician. Better to be in a successful country than an unsuccessful one.

So I assume you'd have preferred Steve L to have got a job somewhere and for all those employed by HL in Bristol or on AG stadium rebuilds to not have jobs.  It is a fact that those that take risks and create wealth for us all to share are rewarded more than they ever have been but short of world agreements there's nowt you can do about it and it's certainly beyond on the scope of any UK politician. Better to be in a successful country than an unsuccessful one.

Oh dear - you've certainly fallen for the BS bigtime.

.......Created wealth for us all to share..?????  has SL dropped you a cheque recently?  a man who left the UK to AVOID paying his share of legitimate taxes ( the net effect being you and I pay MORE tax than we otherwise would need to or services are cut)

He's been good for BCFC - but see the bigger picture. 

Oh dear - you've certainly fallen for the BS bigtime.

.......Created wealth for us all to share..?????  has SL dropped you a cheque recently?  a man who left the UK to AVOID paying his share of legitimate taxes ( the net effect being you and I pay MORE tax than we otherwise would need to or services are cut)

He's been good for BCFC - but see the bigger picture. 

No, I don't think so, just realistic. SL is half of a partnership that has created a top 250 company and with it employment for a lot of people in Bristol - that's what I mean by 'created wealth for us all to share'. Reportedly SL finally had enough when the last Gordon Brown's government decided to increase the tax rate from 40% to 50% and this on top of a mad policy on inheritance tax. Can't say that I blame SL for leaving - there's only so much of your money that you can watch the government take and p155 away.

SL will pay UK taxes on shares held in the UK plus CGT on any assets held and disposed of in the UK. He will also pay UK tax on anything he earns in the UK.

He will pay Guernsey taxes on the income he gets there. His estate will also pay no IHT when he dies.

To have bought a substantial local market house in Guernsey will have cost a massive wedge.

If he spends more than 90 nights in the UK then HMRC will come after him.

He and Peter Lansdown grew a business from nothing to what it is today so good luck to them. To all the folks who throw rocks at entrepreneurs who make money, create jobs, etc the question must be 'why don't you do it?'. Life is about choices.

Fairness and justice? What sort of bizarre joke is this? SL has paid shedloads of tax in his time and continues to pay more into this country than you and me put together and multiplied by a hundred. Is there any point at which you would expect those that consume services to pay for what they consume rather than expect someone else to pay for it? Mine is not a strange view, obviously only IMO. I don't have feelings of jealousy against the very successful or your attitude of outraged entitlement. I don't expect others to pay for me.

Lansdown has probably also gained financially in interest more than what most people reading this earn in a year through working

The differences between those that have and have not need to change before we can even think of using the words fairness and justice. 

And I think SL has done a great a job for BCFC before anyone asks.

Archived