IGNORED

Hartlepool Play-Off Match 10 Years Ago Today

Kingswood Robin

Will never, ever forget this game.. to feeling physically sick at the thought of being dumped out the play offs to the best feeling I've ever felt at a football match

Greame Poll said this  game was the best atmosphere he's ever seen him in football, and he's refereed at the nou camp, bernabau and world cups..

Blimey, where do the years go? Had been up north for work and bumped into a load of Monkey Hangers in the services on the way home, good bunch they were

As for the game, watched it on TV and got a bollocking for sulking, then an ever bigger one for waking my little baby girl up....she finishes primary school this year!

Happy 40th Kingswood, reached that milestone last year, it's not too bad!

The Sunday afternoon following the first leg the previous evening, my son and I bumped in to Christian Roberts and his family on Queen Street in Cardiff.  Roberts told my son not to worry, that he would score the winning goal for him in the second leg at Ashton Gate.  My son is 17 now and from time to time, still talks about the day he me his favourite City at the time and how that goal is for him, particularly special.

10 years ago today, a memorable match indeed.

I remember it well as it was my 30th birthday, which can only mean one thing !

Watched it live on Sky as I was living and workng in Gibraltar at the time. Seems like yesterday.

What never gets mentioned is what a fantastic header that was from Goodfellow.

Completely agree. Went more mental for this goal as I thought we were out.

Once Marc had scored, I knew we would win. Hartlepool lost the fight.

Simply brilliant.

Oh the Wilson years!

Went to the away game which I think was early on a Saturday night?

Couldn't get back to Bristol for the home leg but watched it in the Sportsbar in piccadilly. When Roberts scored it went mental and I ended up on the floor and got up with a broken rib. Was worth it!

If you read Roberts' autobiography he will tell you he was fully embroiled in his battle with the drink around now, I wonder how good he could have been sober if this is what he was like drunk!!

I think I remember reading that he admitted he played better whilst drunk.

I often mentioned Goodfellows header as it happens... Something along the lines of 'he always tried hard but never really delivered for us until that night' and when he scored I went a little beswerk with everyone else in Williams D.

An Epic night rounded off of course by that classic goal from Roberts which had all the more impact because we were all still celebrating or dusting ourselves down from the Goodfellow header.

A match never to be forgotten and we deserved a competent set of management skills for the final only to find Wilson lost the plot in his last game in charge.

Archived